Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Lightyear

Drives: YARIS 1.0
Can I combine a French and a Japanese Engine?

I recently acquired a French built Mk1 Yaris 1.0 litre with broken engine as well as a spare Japanese engine which is also broken.

My question is, would it be possible to combine the engines (i.e) take the good bits from one and put them in the other) to create one good one? The French engines seem to be a lot rarer to find and I don't really want to have to remove the lump from the car, so I've decide to rebuild the French engine. The timing chain snapped but the valves are all intact, however the teeth on the cog at the end of the Crankshaft have been stripped by the broken chain. So would the crankshaft from the Japanese engine be a straight swap and fit without any issues? Are the internals from the French and Japanese engines different?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lightyear; 04-05-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Lightyear is offline   Reply With Quote