Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
yaris diesel

Is there a chance the diesel will make it to the US ? I would love to see that. Even if it's a year or so down the road.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
paco

Drives: 2002 MINI Cooper
Clean(er) diesel is coming to Canada in a couple of months, I would also be curious about a possible Canadian Yaris Diesel model!

--
paco
paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
While it would be nice to see a deisel engine come to the US, Emission laws in the US are tighter than in Europe, and already you cannot buy a new deisel in New England, NY, or California.

I don't think the clean deisel fuel will help.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
twixt

Drives: 07 LB,04&06 ninja 636
Send a message via AIM to twixt
please help me understand why they are so shunned in the states. I look at vehicle comparisons and where it says the greenhouse gas output as 1ton/year for diesel like a GTI while a reg gas car is like 7 ton/year
twixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

There are many reasons. The first is so called "greenhouse" gasses are not the only pollutants put out by deisels. There is also Nitrous Oxides, I think they are called. Deisels puts out a ton of them, while regular gas cars do not.

2nd is deisel gas costs at least 30 - 40 cents higher then premuim fuel around where I live. So someone driving a corrola which gets 41 mpg highway would pay $860 for 15,000 miles, while someone driving a diesel New Beetle is getting 44 mpg highway will pay about $989 for diesel fuel.

While those numbers are theoretical, they show the major problem for diesel fuel in the US.

The third thing is if you say "diesel" to an average american they think of the over-polluting, over noisy, foul smelling diesels of the 60's and 70's. Not fond memories.

Oh, and our current high sulfur fuel would destroy the high tech gadgets that help keep deisel emissions down.

There are prolly more reasons, but that is a good start.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
The recent introduction of the Mecedes E-320 CDI to the North America market has changed people's view towards diesel cars a bit, but not enough yet. It is a quiet, powerful, and surprisingly fuel economical car. It is definitely a good start.

For more information, please see:
http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/adv...tentid=4022443.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

That is true, but we can't get a look at it in New England, NY or Cali. And my guess is the peeps in the US that buy a Benz wouldn't even think of getting a diesel.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Can't argue with that. However, when low sulphur diesel becomes widely available, may be some well designed diesel cars will meet the stringent criteria in those states. Please wait and see. I have been visiting some websites intended for Mercedes owners or prospective Mercedes buyers. It is my observation that there are some US folks who would like to see the revival of diesel designs in the states. Back to the Yaris, I have also come across people who will be more than happy to consider/own a diesel Yaris.
Happy posting.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Oh I am sure there are people that would like to buy one. For the extra gas mileage that can be had that is not surprising.

The manufacturers just have to make them pass emissions. That is the tricky part.