Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
OKJeeper

Drives: 2004 Jeep Wrangler
Arrow ?'s about the 2007 Yaris (US)

Ok right now I drive a gas-guzzeling Jeep. It's nice, it's fun etc. But I really miss driving a small car (previous owner of a Ford Focus ZX3). I've been looking between the Yaris, the Rio5, and the Accent. Well the Accent is just plain..well...PLAIN. The Rio5 is sorta cool looking but doesn't compare to the looks of the Yaris hatch. The questions I have may not be able to be answered yet but here goes anyhow.

1. Do you think the plain Jane instrument cluster the US Yaris is getting can be swapped out for the digital one that other countries get? I know on a lot of cars they are interchangeable.

2. Do you think the SmartKey system will be easy to install? Since here in the US we NEVER get the cool stuff.

3. Is it legal to go to Canada and buy a car? I would LOVE to have the 5-door version.

4. How hard do you think it would be to get the tweeters that go in the A-pillars?
OKJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
1. Do you think the plain Jane instrument cluster the US Yaris is getting can be swapped out for the digital one that other countries get? I know on a lot of cars they are interchangeable.

I doubt it, on the previous generation certain markets got digital, others analog without tach, and others analog with tach, none of which had the same harness...Many of us Canucks wanted to do this with our Echo Hatches...

2. Do you think the SmartKey system will be easy to install? Since here in the US we NEVER get the cool stuff.

Not Sure...

3. Is it legal to go to Canada and buy a car? I would LOVE to have the 5-door version.

Yes, but it has to be used, over 6 months old, and you'd need a brokerage to do it for you...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
I have a Friend that makes digital gauges but they are in the 500-600 dollar range
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
here is a cheaper thing to consider i guess http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Digit...QQcmdZViewItem
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
OKJeeper

That stinks! Why does it have to be 6 months old? There has got to be a way around this. One question I have about the Canadian Yaris is I read that the front end setup is different to drive better in the snow. Anyone know HOW different it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs

Yes, but it has to be used, over 6 months old, and you'd need a brokerage to do it for you...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Quote:
One question I have about the Canadian Yaris is I read that the front end setup is different to drive better in the snow. Anyone know HOW different it is?
I don't think this is true at all, there has been no mention of it differing at all from the JDM or EDM versions...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeeper
That stinks! Why does it have to be 6 months old? There has got to be a way around this.
It's actually a Toyota thing. They will not supply the certification letter for import unless the car's been registered in Canada for 6 months.

I feel the same way Jeeper. The watered down U.S. version, and no 5-door, sucks in comparison.

I talked to a dealer outside Vancouver who, at one time, had exported Echos and Priuses, and had imported Scions, but Toyota was cracking down on them for doing so, and they weren't real inclined to find a creative way around it. I got the feeling the were having their allocations threatened.

I'm hoping a used 5-door RS comes up for sale in the Spring or Summer. To be honest though, the exchange rate is making it a little too expensive for import.....about $18,000 for an RS plus duty, importer fees, and local tax (if you have it) when getting plates. Hopefully the rumor of getting the 5-door in the Fall will come through (have just seen a comment here and there, nothing of substance).
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgriswald
I'm hoping a used 5-door RS comes up for sale in the Spring or Summer.
Maybe I'll be bored of mine by then, and it's winter stored too!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
OKJeeper

I guess I could live with the liftback here in the US. The 5-door just looks more substantial. I can always order stuff from Japan to improve it. Not sure if anyone has been to this site but www.japanparts.com is a good source for some JDM stuff and body kits. I mean if the car is cheap enough I won't mind throwing some money into it, especially if I'm going to keep it for a while. Hopefully that is where the Toyota reliability comes in.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
OKJeeper

Or I could become a Canadian citizen... Hmm...