Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
abcando

Drives: Xb
stick vs. auto acceleration

does anyone know how much better is stick acceleration on the yaris compared to automatic?
abcando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
riceboy

Drives: icebox
My personal opinion is that with a car this small, and with such limited hp.. you absolutely need the stick.
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i don't think it actually makes a big difference, mine is a stick but i routinely drive automatic yarises, both are peppy but obviously not super fast in relation to cars with more hp.
i think it is a lot more fun to drive stick with a small car, or any car for that matter.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #4
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
its maybe 1 sec. faster in a quarter mile with a stick, and thats with a good driver. still slow lol !!
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I test drove the auto before buying my stick and as far as I am concerned the auto feels a lot more sluggish than the stick....but that is just my opinion.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The auto is vey sluggish. When going up hills I press, and press, and press, and press, and press, and press, and press........and I still keep going just as slow as before. But hay...It's an econo-box. What do you expect.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
We test drove an auto before ordering our 5 speed and the auto felt very sluggish. I really think the auto hampers the car and takes any fun out of driving it.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaad32
The auto is vey sluggish. When going up hills I press, and press, and press, and press, and press, and press, and press........and I still keep going just as slow as before. But hay...It's an econo-box. What do you expect.

Putting the shifter down a couple of gears helps . The stick will only be better off the line (0-10mph) So instead of running 20 in the 1/4 you run 19.5 Personally i'd take the auto. Less screwing around. Now if you bought something with 300 hp, take the stick .
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Good idea. I guess with the gated shifter all you have to do to get mre power is push left!
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
Jola1

Drives: 06 Yaris 3dr YRX
Autos should be reserved for disabled persons only!!!!

They are unheard of in many parts of the planet and the performance and control is definently inferior to manual.

Drive the car......................
Old 08-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #11
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jola1

They are unheard of in many parts of the planet and the performance and control is definently inferior to manual.

I don't really care about how slow the auto is.. With this limited hp, 5sp vs. auto just like 9 sec vs 10 sec from 0-60 mph..
But the benefit from the auto is giving me a good time in traffic.

BTW, I am not a disable, but I have a 6sp. Mini Cooper S and a AT Yaris. They serve for different purpose.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
FYI, the Tiptonic S in the latest 997 Turbo is faster than the 6 sp. manual.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #13
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jola1

Bah, automatics are so much easier. Its just like having climate control or heated seats. Its not needed but wanted.

Pros of an auto:

Its impossible to shift as fast as an automatic
No screwing around in traffic
You never destroy your first automatic
There is no $600 maintenance
It's setup to shift at the right rpm to get you the best mileage
You can never get it stuck between 3rd and 5th gear somehow and have to take both hands to yank it out (oy, that was a bad miss-shift)
Higher resale value

Pros of a manual:

Its fun
You can drop the clutch at 4k rpm
You can chirp the tires with a stock clutch
1 more mile per gallon (us)
You can start the car with a dead battery

Really comes down to what you like. I say normal cars should have automatics.
There is really no need for sticks. And the transmissions that they put into 4 bangers dont have that "feel". Now a T56 6-speed is a transmission and feels like your driving a machine.
The only cars that should really have sticks are trucks and sports cars (cars that are slower than 14.9 in the 1/4 or 400 meter are not sports cars )

Last edited by pennystocks; 08-06-2006 at 01:10 AM.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:58 AM   #14
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
In order to rejoin this friendly and interesting discussion, I am afraid I would have to "repost" some of my humble opinions. Today's better designed automatic gear boxes do allow significant control by the drivers. More and more control can be gained as the drivers become more and more experienced and skillful. If my memory serves me right, even Formula One cars have semi-automatic shifts nowadays in the sense that they do not require the drivers to use any clutch.
Back to our lovely Yarii, in a sense, one may consider an auto gear box as a clutchless manual box if one knows how to control/enjoy it.
Having said that, don't get me wrong stick fans, I fully agree that standard shifts are the way to go if driving fun and the last drop of performance are of utmost importance.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #15
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
I'm sorry, but until the F1 guys are playing "penis princess" with automatics..i think i'll be rocking a stick and a clutch....
Old 08-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #16
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I hate to bust your bubble but FI cars use a manual start semi automatic sequential-shift transmission.

yes they have a clutch only for stoping and starting but once moving they are completely automatic just like the transmission in cars like the mini cooper S, Lexus, and no clutch is needed
They do this because as already said it's more reliable and constant then power shifting a standard transmission and automatics shift 5X faster for much faster acceleration. And there is no fear of missing a shift.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #17
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
I hate to bust your bubble but FI cars use a manual start semi automatic sequential-shift transmission.

yes they have a clutch only for stoping and starting but once moving they are completely automatic just like the transmission in cars like the mini cooper S, Lexus, and no clutch is needed
They do this because as already said it's more reliable and constant then power shifting a standard transmission and automatics shift 5X faster for much faster acceleration. And there is no fear of missing a shift.
You describe it better than I do. I only have a vague idea/memory of what F1 cars have. Apart from clutchless shifting (whilst racing), they also shift with flap buttons attached to the steering wheel, right?
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #18
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Correct although some F1 cars have a back up shifter on the side as well. It's basically a Three way switch. Tap it forward to gear down tap it back to gear up.

Many of the transmissions can shift automatically or be shifted manually with out a clutch. Even some of the newer Honda ATV's have this same basic design of transmission. All drivers shift manually to keep the engine in the powerband at all times.
Some others designs use an electricically controled clutch that is activated while shifting but regardless the style F1 cars do not use a standard transmission, they are all classed as Semi auto.

My sisters mini cooper S has this style transmission with the shifter flaps on the steering wheel.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote