Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Should I?
Yes! 12 54.55%
umm no 4 18.18%
I got a better idea!(explain) 3 13.64%
just leave 'em silver 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
Thinking about painting my rims

So I'm thinking about painting my rims like a flat black. Is that too over-done or ricey?

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
window_lee

Drives: Yaris RS 2007
flat black rims look good on all car, go for it
I painted my stock rims to flat black for winter uses
window_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Qmobile

I like the silver color but I'm thinkin a change is in order. I'm thinkin bout the rims themselves painted flat black(or least I think that's what I got layin 'round) and leaving the centercaps and lugs chrome. My eyelids are flat black that I'm gonna put back on I think so idk haven't decided yet

Old 04-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Sorry folks... but I hate black road wheels!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
If you need to ask If its ricey. It probably is. Then talk about putting eyelids back on....nope not ricey at all.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
With that color of blue, i really like white rims. Otherwise i'd stay chrome/silver.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Would someone please, please define "rice"?

IMO, "rice" is the most overused, term in automotive history and it has no meaning whatsoever except that the person who uses the term does not like somethnig for whatever reason.

Have we all lost the ability to express ourselves and now simply resort to a meaningless catch-all term?

If it you like something, go for it and don't worry about what others may call it as their sense of syle and design may be the worst imaginable

Would you ask others what flavor ice cream you like or, would you trust your own tase buds?

Last edited by RedRide; 04-19-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I'd say yes, or buy some black rims and sell or save your stock rims as backups.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
slugsyaris

Drives: 2010 black sedan
what about painting the stock hub-caps flat black?
slugsyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
A shortened way of saying Race Inspired Cosmetic Effects

A popular among the automotive crowd, Rice describes cars that have been modified visually; be it a very agressive and over-done body kit, rear spoiler (very popular "rice"), 'Euro'-style or 'Altezza' (clear lens and silver plastic, red lenses - second most popular) tail lights, or a bunch of useless car modifications, including but not limited to: Fake nitrous bottles, Type R stickers, 19" rims, fake hood/body/roof scoops, ground-effects lighting (glow under car), and the infamous fart-can muffler (usually 3 1/2" or more in diamater, identifyable by its annoyingly loud drone, reminiscent of a screwed-up subwoofer or a fart in a can, hence the term fartcan).
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJacks716 View Post
A shortened way of saying Race Inspired Cosmetic Effects

A popular among the automotive crowd, Rice describes cars that have been modified visually; be it a very agressive and over-done body kit, rear spoiler (very popular "rice"), 'Euro'-style or 'Altezza' (clear lens and silver plastic, red lenses - second most popular) tail lights, or a bunch of useless car modifications, including but not limited to: Fake nitrous bottles, Type R stickers, 19" rims, fake hood/body/roof scoops, ground-effects lighting (glow under car), and the infamous fart-can muffler (usually 3 1/2" or more in diamater, identifyable by its annoyingly loud drone, reminiscent of a screwed-up subwoofer or a fart in a can, hence the term fartcan).
Are you absoluty shure you covered everything?
Fact is, that is your definition and the next guy will have his own and/or add things to that lists things that he personally doesn't like.

BTW I generally hate the color white on any car so, can I add this to the list of RICE?

The terms tastlees and rediculas would be more apropiate. Carroll Shelby vs Pee Wee Herman.

Rice is much too vauge
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
Qmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
I'd say yes, or buy some black rims and sell or save your stock rims as backups.
They ain't the stock rims though. My ride came with stock S model steelies/caps bc it had the all-weather package and power package

Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
I voted yes.

If you want to do it, do it. it is a personal choice, and any validation (or lack thereof) found on the internet inconsequential
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Qmobile

I'm thinkin that the rims will match the eyelids but then on the other hand black rims on a blue car are a lil cliche 2 idk....I'm just tryin to do somethin new with what I got....since I'm a poor boy lol

Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #15
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Black and blue isn't a good combo, IMO. You'll look like a bruise going down the road.

I'd much rather do white on a blue as vivid as BB. White rims and body color eyelids, ftw.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #16
Qmobile

hmm never really thought bout white before.....

Old 04-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #17
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
They're not as easy to keep clean because of brake dust and shit, but at least you'll be able to tell they're there. Flat black is a bad color on wheels, IMO, because they look like steelies anywhere other than up close. I could get the same effect by going outside and pulling off my hubcaps. Just never been a fan of black wheels, but hey. It's your car. White was just my suggestion.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
How about dark gold or bronze? I've always liked those colors on blue cars. Either that or white. What do you rims look like anyway?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote