Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
16" wheels and bigger: What kind of mileage ?

I'm on 16" 195/50R16s , I do 50/50 highway/urban and I get approximately 30 miles to the US gallon , or 13km/l . Is this normal ?

What kind of mileage r u getting , those of you with 16" and bigger rims. My petrol indicator hits the last blinker at 420km.
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I have 18" and only do about 25MPG, but that's mainly due to my driving habits which are very short trips. Hard to tell how much of an effect they have.

Also, I can't help but notice that other SEA members are getting low mileage compared to US brethren, but then again it's probably once again due to the distances involved... 200 miles in a day is quite a road trip for us over here, in the US that's a lot of people's daily commute (well maybe I exaggerate )

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Interesting thread. The larger diameter rubber will show you less mileage than actual, as well as less MPH than actual. I don't know if there is a way to calibrate the speedo to be accurate.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
I have 18" and only do about 25MPG, but that's mainly due to my driving habits which are very short trips. Hard to tell how much of an effect they have.

Also, I can't help but notice that other SEA members are getting low mileage compared to US brethren, but then again it's probably once again due to the distances involved... 200 miles in a day is quite a road trip for us over here, in the US that's a lot of people's daily commute (well maybe I exaggerate )
Strange to see the US Yarises getting better mileage, especially when they are running 85 octane fuel and I'm running 98! DOnt they need to run slightly retarded timing to compensate, resulting in less power ? But their 0-100 timing is just as impressive. Even if I baby the throttle, drive 80% on the freeway, best I've gotten was 36mpg.
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Interesting thread. The larger diameter rubber will show you less mileage than actual, as well as less MPH than actual. I don't know if there is a way to calibrate the speedo to be accurate.
With the correct choice of tires the actual rolling circumference of the wheel can be kept very very close to the stock wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurburgring View Post
Strange to see the US Yarises getting better mileage, especially when they are running 85 octane fuel and I'm running 98! DOnt they need to run slightly retarded timing to compensate, resulting in less power ? But their 0-100 timing is just as impressive. Even if I baby the throttle, drive 80% on the freeway, best I've gotten was 36mpg.
Octane does not seem to have much effect on mileage, I've used our 91 octane fuel first, then the last two tanks on 95, but there is no discernible difference. Some people claim there is, but it may be due to other factors.

Also, you can't directly compare octane in the US with octane in the rest of the world, as the measurement units are actually slightly different. Essentially, US 89 octane is like our 91 octane, and US 91 octane is like our 95. You guys get 98 octane in Singapore? sweet...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote