Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I know the cooling fan is working because I can hear it turn on and off.

I'm not sure what the thermostat is, and what it does by opening and how it affects the A/C. Can you explain this to me?

Is there anything I should check for physically under the hood? I read somewhere that you can check a pipe coming from the A/C compressor while you have the car running with the A/C on and if you feel the pipe is cold then it should be working right, and if it's not cold then there might be a pressure or freon issue. Anyone know about this?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
I know the cooling fan is working because I can hear it turn on and off.

I'm not sure what the thermostat is, and what it does by opening and how it affects the A/C. Can you explain this to me?

Is there anything I should check for physically under the hood? I read somewhere that you can check a pipe coming from the A/C compressor while you have the car running with the A/C on and if you feel the pipe is cold then it should be working right, and if it's not cold then there might be a pressure or freon issue. Anyone know about this?
The thermostat is a circle that opens and closes in the upper radiator hose mount that goes into the block. When the engine is cold and the coolant is cold, it does not allow coolant to flow into the radiator. If your thermostat is mal-functioning then it won't open to allow the coolant to go through and be cooled and it overheats the engine. You could also have a bad water pump. Pull out the thermostat and re-connect the hose and see if it still overheats. If I were you'd I leave the thermostat out it provides better flow. Only downside is it will take longer to warm up in the winter but 4 bangers warm up quick anyway.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
yarisitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD424 View Post
The thermostat is a circle that opens and closes in the upper radiator hose mount that goes into the block. When the engine is cold and the coolant is cold, it does not allow coolant to flow into the radiator. If your thermostat is mal-functioning then it won't open to allow the coolant to go through and be cooled and it overheats the engine. You could also have a bad water pump. Pull out the thermostat and re-connect the hose and see if it still overheats. If I were you'd I leave the thermostat out it provides better flow. Only downside is it will take longer to warm up in the winter but 4 bangers warm up quick anyway.
So this has nothing to do with the A/C not blowing cold air? Only the engine overheating?

Take this into consideration. I've driven from Los Angeles to northern California (300+ miles) non stop a couple of times already without the A/C on and had no problems with the engine overheating. The overheating light only comes on when I'm using the A/C.

I'm a little hesitant about disconnecting hoses and taking parts out but I'll have a look and try and see what you're talking about.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Quote:
So this has nothing to do with the A/C not blowing cold air? Only the engine overheating?

Take this into consideration. I've driven from Los Angeles to northern California (300+ miles) non stop a couple of times already without the A/C on and had no problems with the engine overheating. The overheating light only comes on when I'm using the A/C.

I'm a little hesitant about disconnecting hoses and taking parts out but I'll have a look and try and see what you're talking about.
Well with that small engine the A/C Compressor puts alot of stress on the motor, but that should not cause it to overheat. You could have a faulty water pump. If this only happens when you put the A/C thats extremely weird and is not the thermostat. Best way to see if your overheating is to get a water temperature guage and install it yourself its very easy. Then you can see the difference between A/C and no A/C. Now for the A/C blowing out hot, are you driving while having it on or at a stand still?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
yarisitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD424 View Post
Well with that small engine the A/C Compressor puts alot of stress on the motor, but that should not cause it to overheat. You could have a faulty water pump. If this only happens when you put the A/C thats extremely weird and is not the thermostat. Best way to see if your overheating is to get a water temperature guage and install it yourself its very easy. Then you can see the difference between A/C and no A/C. Now for the A/C blowing out hot, are you driving while having it on or at a stand still?
Well the A/C doesn't blow out hot air, it blows out cool air but it's not really cold. The day before yesterday when the overheating light came on, I was driving on the street (100+ degrees) with the A/C on and it just happen to come on when I was at a red light.

I've driven on the freeway before with the A/C on in hot weather for 30+ minutes and the overheating light has never come on. It's only come on while driving on the streets.

So what does the water temperature gauge look like and where can I get one? Where exactly do I install it? Is there a way to tell myself if the water pump is faulty or will a mechanic have to diagnose it for me?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Well the A/C doesn't blow out hot air, it blows out cool air but it's not really cold. The day before yesterday when the overheating light came on, I was driving on the street (100+ degrees) with the A/C on and it just happen to come on when I was at a red light.

I've driven on the freeway before with the A/C on in hot weather for 30+ minutes and the overheating light has never come on. It's only come on while driving on the streets.

So what does the water temperature gauge look like and where can I get one? Where exactly do I install it? Is there a way to tell myself if the water pump is faulty or will a mechanic have to diagnose it for me?
just so you know, the 2 radiators share the same Dc fan that cool off your engine and the AC. AC would not be cold cold if it wasn't properly cooled.

Your car does not overheat when it's in motion, because there is enough air that goes through the radiator to keep the engine cooled to safe temperature.

As many stated, it might be the fan,the thermostat or the waterpump. Thought, if it was the waterpump, you'd overheat even in motion (ie, highway). So it could really only be the fan or the thermostat.

I suggest you taking your car to the dealer instead of trying to fix it youself.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote