Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
US Yaris: Adding a tach?

The fact that the US-spec Yaris isn't available with a tach makes me want to pound my head into my desk and say, "What the heck were you thinking?"

However, knowing this won't solve anything, are there options for installing a tach? What about swapping the gauge cluster from the sedan?

Does anyone have any ideas?

(Hopefully the 2008s will come with a tach, at least as an option)
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Actually, the Power Package Lifback Yarii I've seen in the Toyota system indicate they're coming with a Tach. Whether they actually will or not remains to be seen since there's a lot of contradictions on what the Toyota website says is supposed be in each package and what's on the shipping lists.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
Actually, the Power Package Lifback Yarii I've seen in the Toyota system indicate they're coming with a Tach. Whether they actually will or not remains to be seen since there's a lot of contradictions on what the Toyota website says is supposed be in each package and what's on the shipping lists.
ORLY? I might have to splurge.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Quote:
There will be no tach available according to Toyota customer service. The build your Toyota site is real general, and to this point still pretty screwed up.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

I was referring to the site you can go to and actually look at the vehicles that Toyota currently has in the system shipping to the US...

http://www.buyatoyota.com/

The tach is indicated on there for the PP Liftbacks. It may well be a mistake, we'll have to see. When I called my dealer they said that the equipment listing on there should be accurate since it's coming directly from the horse's mouth, but I remain skeptical.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the interior photos of the PP Liftback don't show a tach, so, again... I think it's probably a mistake, but it remains to be seen.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Where can you check what they are getting in?

My salesperson is being a pain in the ass, and I'd love to see this info.

Quote:
I was referring to the site you can go to and actually look at the vehicles that Toyota currently has in the system shipping to the US...

http://www.buyatoyota.com/

The tach is indicated on there for the PP Liftbacks. It may well be a mistake, we'll have to see. When I called my dealer they said that the equipment listing on there should be accurate since it's coming directly from the horse's mouth, but I remain skeptical.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the interior photos of the PP Liftback don't show a tach, so, again... I think it's probably a mistake, but it remains to be seen.
LOL, I missed this, how do you do it?

I go to that address and just get the silly price quote.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Well, unfortunately it looks like the systems are different across the US. If I put in "27540" for my ZipCode I can look at unclaimed stock for the SouthEast United States. You may not be able to search in your area.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

To clarify, this isn't all the stock your dealer is getting in. For instance, if you look at 27540 and Fred Anderson in Raleigh, you're not going to see my Yaris since I've already put a down payment on it. As I understand it, this will only tell you cars that are still available.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Ah yes, SE Toyota is actually wholly owned by a seperate company.

lol, when I check it only sedans show up.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Back on topic... Does anyone know of a company that makes a tachometer that's more of a "strip" than a dial? I'm thinking like this brake light system, but a tach...

I don't want a big ole honkin' aftermarket dial, but I do want to know my shift point when I've got the stereo up too loud. ;)
Old 03-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
Quote:
Back on topic... Does anyone know of a company that makes a tachometer that's more of a "strip" than a dial? I'm thinking like this brake light system, but a tach...

I don't want a big ole honkin' aftermarket dial, but I do want to know my shift point when I've got the stereo up too loud. ;)
autometer makes a nice 3 inch tach, thats not honkin
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #12
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

I simply don't want a gauge, that's the problem. Even just a single LED I could pop through a hole drilled in the compartment above the steering wheel and set at 5K or whatever would be fine. May have to just make something myself.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Probably start out with something like this and adapt it...

http://www.ford-capri.fsnet.co.uk/wh...ev_counter.htm
Old 03-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Not to go too tangental, but does anyone know why a tach isn't available? It it supposed to be a cost-savings, no-frills kinda thing? It just doesn't make any sense to me why the sedans can get them, but the liftback can't. Granted, Toyota isn't the first company to such nonsense — Honda's 1996-2000 Civic hatchbacks never had a tach option, either.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
When I got to BuyAToyota.com I cannot choose a Liftback, it only has Sedans, CE & S, WTF?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Yeah, it's weird for the SE. You have to actually click on on the CE Sedans to see whether they're Sedans or Liftbacks by looking at the photo. Lame.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #17
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Quote:
Have you checked the info posted in the tech section? Specifically: Attachment 194

Consider who's assuring you anything is accurate. Dealers are more likely to be known as the other end of the horse.

As far as another option, you could try the French version:
Attachment 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
Not to go too tangental, but does anyone know why a tach isn't available? It it supposed to be a cost-savings, no-frills kinda thing? It just doesn't make any sense to me why the sedans can get them, but the liftback can't. Granted, Toyota isn't the first company to such nonsense — Honda's 1996-2000 Civic hatchbacks never had a tach option, either.
It's probably the same reason we don't get the 5-door. They don't want to compete with the xA. Push it as a no-frills econo car and avoid being hip. Don't want to overlap marketing strategies.

Last edited by jdgriswald; 09-06-2006 at 05:59 PM.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #18
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Again, I think you're probably right but until the cars start arriving I'll still have my fingers crossed. ;)