Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
for me (8 month old yaris) it has already failed to be charged twice, both times being do to negative terminal corrosion, (it looks like green power) Maybe cuz of the weather i have here, near the ocean.
That's what I was thinking too. I just moved to St Augustine FL 6 months ago and I've had to clean my negative battery terminal three times since I moved.
Including this morning!
Damn car didn't start again!
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #20
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Got a new battery today and it was covered by the warranty. The new one is different than the translucent original. It is a typical US made solid black one with the Toyota logo on it. I was told the factory batteries aren't available through the US Toyota network. I hope it's being of US manufacture doesn't mean it will be unreliable too.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #21
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
I hope it's being of US manufacture doesn't mean it will be unreliable too.
They're more reliable than most of the ones designed and built in China. Though I don't know, I've heard that due to tight regulations on these lead-acid batteries, most new batteries made in the US have over 50% of their materials from recycled old batteries. We certainly don't dump all our old lead-acid into the ground, that's for sure..
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #22
birdman

I am glad to know about the recycled materials. I liked how you could see the fluid level right through the case of the original. I'll get used to seeing the black clunky one especially due to the fact it was free. Perhaps some day American designers will catch up with our foreign competitors and start making intelligently designed see-through batteries too.

Last edited by birdman; 12-28-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: m
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
re: dead battery

Hi everyone,

I went out this morning to start my '09 5 door automatic with less than 10K to get to work and the battery was dead . The car had sat for 4 days in an average of 35 degree temp. Have noticed before this episode that it strained to kick over on frigid mornings . Couldn't even use the keyless entry. Jumped it with our '08 yaris sedan that has the same battery with 16k. So far no issues with that one. Hopefully it will start in the morning ( 24 degees out for now ) . Plan on calling dealer to get battery replaced under warranty .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #24
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Perhaps some day American designers will catch up with our foreign competitors and start making intelligently designed see-through batteries too.
You mean like the one's that don't last?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #25
birdman

I meant ones that you can see the fluid through. Toyota would not have the reputation for reliability if they used unreliable parts. I'm sure most of these factory batteries wear quite well. With anything made in huge numbers you are going to have an occasional dud. All I'm saying is American designed cars tend to be less reliable than Japanese designed Toyotas. America produces cars with a lot more poorly designed parts that more frequently fail than those of Toyota.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #26
something
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris 2009
Thumbs up 2009 Yaris - GET A NEW BATTERY

If you turn the key and all you hear is a loud noise like someone put a card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel (but way louder), and it sounds almost like a grinding noise, and the engine isn't even thinking about turning over, and you are worried about wrecking your car by continuing to turn the key... here is what you should do: GO TO LORDCO, buy a new battery, remove old battery, replace with new battery. Turn key... engine will start. Please don't get your car towed to a mechanic for no reason. This could save you $200 or more. (Even if the indicator on your battery is shining blue you should do this since the indicators often don't work. i.e. don't assume your battery is fine if the indicator is blue!)
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #27
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
If you turn the key and all you hear is a loud noise like someone put a card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel (but way louder), and it sounds almost like a grinding noise, and the engine isn't even thinking about turning over, and you are worried about wrecking your car by continuing to turn the key... here is what you should do: GO TO LORDCO, buy a new battery, remove old battery, replace with new battery. Turn key... engine will start. Please don't get your car towed to a mechanic for no reason. This could save you $200 or more. (Even if the indicator on your battery is shining blue you should do this since the indicators often don't work. i.e. don't assume your battery is fine if the indicator is blue!)
well that was good advice...to bad he could have used it six years ago. probably on his 3rd battery by now. JK...Welcome to the forum...we need all the advice we can get!
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote