Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Never tried the complete 3 step process to detail my car who has done it?

Step 1....

Step 2...

Step 3....
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
YarisSedan

I have a lot of fine minor scratching and i think doing this entire process would be a easiest way to remove them. I have many layers of wax i was wondering if i should claybar the entire car first or will step 1 strip everything enough to get it ready to do the whole system.

Ive always skipped step 2. I never used polish when i detail just jump directly to the wax. I am wondering if this will really make a difference and make the car shine even more.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
clay bar removes the oxidations and the the rust (which you cannot notice)
Also, clay bar picks hard to remove grime from the surface rendering it silky smooth (love that phrase "silky smooth"... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
The end results usually depend on quality of the preparation and application of the product rather than the specific product.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Well this is my plan to do one day. Start with a wash. Then claybar the areas that need it the most such as hood, top of vehicle and trunk. Then use step 1 to remove all the clay residue and prep the paint.

Then use step 2 to polish any of the minor scratches out of my paint.

Then finally step 3 and put on a thin coat. Let the car sit in the garage overnight.

In the morning whipe off any dust that may have collected and put on another thin coat.

The next day after its fully hardened put on a finaly 3rd coat and then finish it up with a spray detail to get out any possible streaking and buff the car to get it to a brilliant shine.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Use that scratchx stuff you got for the fine scratches. I know the instructions on the back of the scratchx bottle says to test it on a small area and if it doesnt work to stop using it. Possibly because it could damage the paint/clearcoat? Dunno, so I'm not sure about using it all over our car which you mentioned in your other thread.

EDIT

I use the mother's step 1 and 2 counter part of those products and finish with the nxt.

http://www.autobarn.com.au/products/17/161/4213976/
http://www.autobarn.com.au/products/17/161/4213977

Any swirls/light scuffs are hidden well with step 2 and then after the nxt you cant even see them. It probably helps me a lot more because my car is a light color, silver. Hopefully you get the same results with your darker colored car. BTW I do the same exact steps you plan on doing so that should be golden unless someone knows a better way.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header

Last edited by eii; 04-21-2009 at 12:20 PM.
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I have a lot of fine minor scratching and i think doing this entire process would be a easiest way to remove them. I have many layers of wax i was wondering if i should claybar the entire car first or will step 1 strip everything enough to get it ready to do the whole system.

Ive always skipped step 2. I never used polish when i detail just jump directly to the wax. I am wondering if this will really make a difference and make the car shine even more.
There are soaps out that will remove protection on your paint surface. Those along with your claybar routine will get your surface prep'd for any further work you plan on doing. One soap available to all is Dawn. I would use this one time, follow with the claybar. I would not recommend Dawn as my go to wash soap as it is strong and could damage other parts of the car it encounters if used regularly over an extended period of time. One time should do you.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Be aware that there are 2 Scratch X's from Meguiars out there. Scratch X and Scratch X 2.0. The reg. X is the least abrasive in the aggresive order while the X 2.0 is number 3. Meguiars recommends doing a test spot first to determine if the product you chose is cutting it. For us it doesn't mean much but for detailers it means not doing the whole car, only to find out what we used didn't work. Order of aggressivness (most to least) according to Meguiars for "commercially available" (Wal Mart, Advance etc) for us would be.... Ultimate Compound, Scratch X 2.0, Swirl X, and if you can still find it Scratch X.

Start with least and work forward until you arrive at what works.

Good luck.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
I saw some people use gasoline to clean their car.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I just did a good job waxing the first time and haven't ever had to clean it off :P
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
If your lookin to get a good finish on your paint, do these things. At least its what i do.

Wash with Dawn to strip all the old wax off the car.
Claybar to remove small bits of grime and dirt from the car that that wash doesn't (claybaring is wet sanding on a microscopic level.
To help remove, or lighten the appearance of scratch's and microswirls in your paint, use Mequires #80. You can find it at some autoparts stores. Its in a tan bottle. It works well because its a light polish to begin with, then the longer you work it, the polishing oils do more and more work on the paint leaving it with a wet, and better looking paint.
Then put a nice coat of wax on the car, and your good to go. should give you a much better look.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
YarisSedan

I heard that using dawn is really bad for the paint its supose to strip nutrients and make the paint nasty. I would assume since claybar is midly abrasive it should strip the wax. And the use of a cleaner wax and a polish would remove any leftover wax preping the car for the final wax coat the sealer.