Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #181
zodieman
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
My ABS light came on on my 07 a couple of weeks ago and would go on and off a few times a day. I thought cold affected it but it was all over the place.
I took it to my dealer and they said it needed a new right read hub to the tune of $800 CND. I passed on the repair for the time being.

After reading this thread on cleaning the sensor so I thought I would give it a try since it doesn't cost me anything to at try. I can confirm at least in my case that cleaning the sensor did the trick! ABS light is off, ABS is working perfectly again!

Toyota has a faulty design with the ABS sensor location and shouldn't be trying to gouge without at least trying to clean it first. Dealers can be crooks.
zodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #182
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
i'm glad that the DIY cleaning and lube job fix the problem. However mind you that not every Yaris owners are car enthusiasts like we are . Most don't know zap about cars especially removing the brake components. Mind you more than 80% of Yaris owners are simple mind drivers whom know/care little about cars and DIY may not an option to them. Toyota should definitely step up and at least attempt to address the issue without gouging us $900 for their faulty design!
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #183
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
I have a feeling that once the 2009's hit the 3 year mark (when the problem seems start) it may get recalled because every 09 has ABS where it was optional in 2007-08 and it seems not many where equipped.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #184
firstyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Attetion CANADIAN OWNERS

I've sent a email to Transport Canada and they have asked to file a formal complaint. I will do so and request anyone who had/has an issue, please file so we can get Toyota to act on this common problem. Recall or not, Toyota has to fix it. My2Cents

Here is Transport Canada's email:

If you have experienced this problem with your vehicle, we request that you complete our on-line complaint form. Please include your vehicle's seventeen digit vehicle identification number (VIN), current kilometerage, a narrative of the incident or problem, along with all other pertinent and contact information. Please check the box that will allow us to contact the manufacturer on your behalf.

Please visit our webpage via the link below.
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDpp?Index
firstyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #185
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
I'm wondering where everyone's car was manufactured? Maybe its a localized problem to one or a two manufactures .

J- Japan
1- NUMMI
2- Canada: TMMC
3- Mexico: TMMBC
4- USA:TMMK
5- USA: TMMI, TMMCA & TMMTX

Look at the First character of your VIN number.

Mines J
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #186
Cedrica

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
I got the harness replaced last year at this time after much fighting with the dealer that it indeed needed to be done. So far this year with all the snow, I've had no problems. So, IMHO, it's definitely the harness.

*EDIT: And it would have cost almost $1000 but I got in there under my 100k extended warranty so it was covered.

And you want a recall? Start sending this thread to some reporters to do their homework, I'm sure there is a vulture reporter out there somewhere ready to pounce and further denigrate Toyota's reputation with a bombshell that even the Yaris isn't spared from issues, lol.
Cedrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #187
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Mine was manufactured in Japan. I will definitely fill out the Transport Canada thing. I have yet to actually do the clean/seal with my sensors, but there is no way I am spending ANOTHER $500+ to replace a sensor that should have been fixed.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #188
devinlamothe

I made sure to mention the TSB which means Toyota KNOWS about the issue and will only fix it for those under warranty.

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/T-S...20C0215%29.pdf

This really is a shame.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #189
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I could'nt find an ABS equipped car when I bought mine in '08.
I'm GLAD I don't have it now!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #190
DJCrazyChris

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
I have been told by my dealer that they checked for parts yesterday and there are over 600 waiting on back order. We demanded they provide a rental and we're now into week 3 as the ABS was being used on dry pavement with most braking attempts.

Anyone else waiting a VERY long time for parts.
DJCrazyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #191
Jake

Drives: 1997 Yaris Sedan
600??!!! on back order?!! Toyota needs to address this. Thanks for the link
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/T-S...20C0215%29.pdf
unbelievable that they know about it and won't do a thing.

In my post, I mentioned that my abs and brake light were on, then they went off again.

This morning when I was braking, something made a noise and I had to push a lot harder than usual to stop. It felt very "spongy". Then my abs and brake light came on again. But, my pads are fine, so I wonder what's going on?? I don't have $1000 to fix a faulty problem that they know about, but I can and will write to Transport Canada. I hope that no one gets hurt because of this problem.

thanks for the links.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #192
Jake

Drives: 1997 Yaris Sedan
Just read a lot of the other posts, I guess when I had to brake harder, that meant my abs was on even though it was dry pavement? The car didn't want to stop! Everyone please follow the previous post and write Transport Canada
____

Here it is again

_____

If you have experienced this problem with your vehicle, we request that you complete our on-line complaint form. Please include your vehicle's seventeen digit vehicle identification number (VIN), current kilometerage, a narrative of the incident or problem, along with all other pertinent and contact information. Please check the box that will allow us to contact the manufacturer on your behalf.

Please visit our webpage via the link below.
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDpp?Index

_____

also,
my vin number also starts with a "J"
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #193
devinlamothe

Wow 600 on backorder??? WTF Toyota!

This is really starting to bug me.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #194
DJCrazyChris

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
This morning when I was braking, something made a noise and I had to push a lot harder than usual to stop. It felt very "spongy"
That would be the ABS working...probably when it wasn't supposed it...now imagine driving at highway speeds and needing the brakes and getting that kind of stopping power.
DJCrazyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #195
expat26
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 Hatchback AT/AC/ABS
I would appreciate a jpeg of the plug. My email is expat26@yahoo.com. Many thanks for taking the time.
expat26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #196
DuckHunt

Drives: 2007 & 2008 Yaris Sedans
Hi Canucks!

You are not alone with this Yaris brake issue. I have two Yaris sedans. I have a 2007 and a 2008 model sedan. 2007 was the first year model in the US market.

I commute about 92 miles each day (150km) and love my Yaris. Last winter wasn't bad for us, but I had this issue in my 2007 Yaris Sedan in January 2009. It had 75k miles (120k km) at the time. The fix was the right rear wheel speed sensor. The hub and bearing assy was also replaced bringing the repair cost to $657 US. Fortunately I bought a 100k mile extended warranty and it covered it.

Just 8 weeks later in March 2009 my 2008 Yaris sedan came down with the same issue. It only had 12k miles (~19.3k km) at the time. The fix was the left rear wheel speed sensor and the wiring harness. I'm not sure of the cost as it was covered under warranty.

Today, I just dropped off my 2007 Yaris Sedan at the dealership. This time it is the left wheel speed sensor. They will likely be replacing the wheel & hub assy as well. They are recommending replacing the wiring harness on both sides at the same time due to corrosion. The total bill we be about $1000 US. The warranty will cover part of it, but maybe not the harness since it hasn't failed 'YET' on both sides.

Keep raising your voices over this issue. You are not alone. The US market has the SAME issue. I live about 60 miles west of Washington DC. Our winters are normally not as severe as Canada or quite as cold. If we are having the same issue here I can only imagine the issue is worse up there. I'll have to give the sensor cleaning tip a try the next time this occurs. As sure as the sun rises, it will happen again.

Other than this ABS issue, I have had no problems at all with either car. Unless Toyota steps up and corrects the issue, I will not be a returning customer.

DuckHunt
2007 Yaris Sedan (US)
2008 Yaris Sedan (US)
DuckHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #197
EmiliaZ

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
ABS and Brake Light On- YES

This is just great! My abs and brake light have come on (and off several times), and unfortunately, I see that I am not alone. Ugh, Toyota's reputation for quality is crumbling. Their "reputation" was one of the main reasons I opted for this company (and I am sure that I am not alone in this). I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow, and will definitely file a formal complaint.

As one poster suggested, perhaps when the 09's reach the three year mark, this will become a recall issue since all of the 09's are automatically equipped with abs. Too bad for the rest of us.

Something definitely needs to be done. I will re-post after I get the issue diagnosed by the dealer.

Before I go, I'll take it to a car wash, see if that helps, as many have suggested that it may be a rust/ debris issue with the sensors. The 600 parts on back order have me worried!!
EmiliaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #198
devinlamothe

Has anyone tried contacting Toyota Canada/US regarding this issue?