Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
xtremesniper

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB RS
Question Weird issue during braking

I'm not sure if this is really an issue, but I thought I'd try to explain it on here to see if I'm the only one with it or not.

Basically, there are times when I approach a stop light or a speed hump where I'll either gently press on the brakes to slow down from lets say 40 to 20km/h, or just to a full stop (in the case of a stop light), or I'll let the car glide to a slower speed (and sometimes the Yaris does its own "engine braking"). During this slow down, sometimes it kind of feels like a certain part of the brake pad is tighter than the other. That's the best way to explain it I think, because you'll feel like there's a slight/subtle tapping of the brake that I'm not actually doing every half second (possibly every revolution of the wheel). It seems to only happen when slowing down from an already fairly slow speed, which is why I only feel it sometimes because I'm usually driving on roads with a higher speed limit.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Should I go in to get this checked out?
xtremesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
It could be your brakes pads are unevenly worn or your rotors need resurfacing???
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Automatic transmission, right?

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Don't the RS Yaris over there have ABS, with Brake assist ,
In New Zealand they do , that would be your answer
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
for US cars. when braking going down the hill, the brake does to brake on it's own too. it may be the ABS kicking in. i don't think it should be a problem for you.
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_Yaris View Post
for US cars. when braking going down the hill, the brake does to brake on it's own too. it may be the ABS kicking in. i don't think it should be a problem for you.
there's no way that the ABS is actuating automatically while going down a hill lol..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
Maybe higher rpms when rolling down the hill slows down the car while breaking ?
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
xtremesniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoyaris View Post
It could be your brakes pads are unevenly worn or your rotors need resurfacing???
That's what I was thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Automatic transmission, right?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Don't the RS Yaris over there have ABS, with Brake assist ,
In New Zealand they do , that would be your answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_Yaris View Post
I don't think ABS would kick in while going downhill. I do know that the Yaris simulates engine braking, but ABS should only kick in when slamming down the brakes, not when gliding to a slower speed. Besides, my issue happens even on flat roads just letting off the accelerator and gliding to a slower speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
there's no way that the ABS is actuating automatically while going down a hill lol..
Yeah..

So I'm still thinking about if I should take it to the dealer to have it checked out. I'm just worried about how long it might take to investigate and fix if necessary.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremesniper View Post
So I'm still thinking about if I should take it to the dealer to have it checked out. I'm just worried about how long it might take to investigate and fix if necessary.
If they'll check for free(even though they didn't for me when I was still under warranty) then go ahead, but I'd take it to Midas for brakes before the dealer. The dealer I took it to said it was normal for me to have to replace pads and rotors every 10,000 miles because I live in a hilly area. They charged me 50 bucks and I'm pretty sure they didn't even get the tires off. Only time I took my car to the dealership, and will definitely be the last.

I bought the R1 concepts rotors and carbotech pads from garm, and haven't had any brake problems since.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
My bet is that you're simply feeling the transmission downshift as you decelerate.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
xtremesniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
If they'll check for free(even though they didn't for me when I was still under warranty) then go ahead, but I'd take it to Midas for brakes before the dealer. The dealer I took it to said it was normal for me to have to replace pads and rotors every 10,000 miles because I live in a hilly area. They charged me 50 bucks and I'm pretty sure they didn't even get the tires off. Only time I took my car to the dealership, and will definitely be the last.

I bought the R1 concepts rotors and carbotech pads from garm, and haven't had any brake problems since.
Yeah it would be for free, I'm sure.. I've only owned it for a few weeks now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
My bet is that you're simply feeling the transmission downshift as you decelerate.
I was thinking about this, but I don't think that's it. Transmission downshift wouldn't feel like tapping the brake repeatedly, would it? When I drove the Echo it would speed up just a tad right as it downshifted, which I got used to. What's throwing me off is that it isn't happening all the time. From faster (normal) speeds to stopping, I don't feel it at all. The Yaris stops very smoothly and as I'd expect.

This particular feeling only comes about when I'm going slow, and I let go of the gas (for example, in anticipation of a red light or a speed bump) and then I realize the car is acting as if I'm tapping the brake over and over again, and the car slows down much faster than I expect, causing me to have to press the gas again even when in the Echo I wouldn't have had to.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
How old is the car? Have you had tire work done? Have your wheels been taken off and put back on recently? If so, check your lug nut torque. 76ft/lbs is correct torque for Yaris lug nuts.

Myine was doing the exact same think. Kind of a pulsing feel like warped rotors. Turns out the guy that put my tires on over-torqued my lug nuts. Just getting them to correct torque fixed mine 95%. Now it's just a slight feeling when braking and it's getting better the more I drive it.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
xtremesniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
How old is the car? Have you had tire work done? Have your wheels been taken off and put back on recently? If so, check your lug nut torque. 76ft/lbs is correct torque for Yaris lug nuts.
Actually the car is very new. Only a few weeks old and had just under 50km on it when I picked it up.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
nsmitchell

I would still check the torque on them. Some mechanic may have over-torqued them unknowingly.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
xtremesniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I would still check the torque on them. Some mechanic may have over-torqued them unknowingly.
I'm not quite sure of how to check that, but I know someone who owns a body shop. I guess I'll ask him when I get the chance. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremesniper View Post
I'm not quite sure of how to check that, but I know someone who owns a body shop. I guess I'll ask him when I get the chance. Thanks for the suggestion.
You just need a torque-wrench and a 17mm or 19mm socket. You can borrow tools from Advance or Napa. You can check it in the parking lot. I'll bet they would do it for you if they're not busy.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Yeah as your engine downshifts it will feel like the car is going to lug slightly or in your case it will feel like the brakes had just became slightly more efficient. Since vehicl eis using transmission to slow down the speed of the car.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
nsmitchell

Toyota will definitely check your torque for you.