Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydisrock View Post
I prefer to shop on the internet... no fuel usage
There is still a whole lot of fuel usage when you shop on the Internet. The resources to make the item you bought were likely shipped to China from 3rd world countries, and then the final product was shipped all the way from China to your country of residence.

Perhaps you were only speaking of your own fuel usage, but saying you do not use any is still inaccurate. The fuel may not come out of your tank but it certainly used by the planes, trains, big rigs and delivery trucks that bring things to your door, and you still pay for it as shipping costs.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
I'll be hanging out with family on that day, in Chicago. I don't get to see my family much at all due to school, so I'll spend that time wisely.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #21
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
There is still a whole lot of fuel usage when you shop on the Internet. The resources to make the item you bought were likely shipped to China from 3rd world countries, and then the final product was shipped all the way from China to your country of residence.

Perhaps you were only speaking of your own fuel usage, but saying you do not use any is still inaccurate. The fuel may not come out of your tank but it certainly used by the planes, trains, big rigs and delivery trucks that bring things to your door, and you still pay for it as shipping costs.
Most items I buy get free shipping,others are quite reasonable.
What I save in sales tax usually doubles my expenditure for shipping.
A diesel train taking cargo across country would seem to use less fuel than all the commuters moving those same items.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydisrock View Post
I prefer to shop on the internet.
The stores are now too big.
I hate making laps and drudging through all the womens garbage to find what I want.
No lines,no waiting,no fuel usage,no taxes and cheaper prices.
What's better than that?
Well the first Monday following Thanksgiving is known as Cyber Monday ..... traditionally the biggest internet shopping day of the year.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #23
Bob_VT

Quote:

Brian ....... you are making it sound like ANY fuel use is no good. There is a certain amount of fuel that will be used regardless and I don't consider it a waste to purchase something that was shipped with a whole bunch of other things. The companies are doing their best to reduce shipping costs.

If you do not shop on Black Friday how do you save resources when you do shop for holidays?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #24
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Bob, that's gay
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #25
Bob_VT

Hey I waste gas...... I even expell gas...... Sorry Lover but I'm straight....... I really don't adhere to the old hippie ways!

Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #26
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

bitch
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #27
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
bitch
Bitch? Well........ I will walk across the street and get you 5 lbs of cow manure from the farm...... but in the interest of saving gas and not upsetting the hippies...... the manure will be stripped of its methane properties AND you have to WALK here to VT to pick it up for Christmas! (As per google it should take you 5 days and 23 hours non-stop)

Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #28
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Thanks, kisses
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #29
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

wow, you guys are "special" aren't you? ;)

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #30
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Bob's my woobie too
Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #31
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

whoa, that's...hot? lol, gross

Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #32
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
If you do not shop on Black Friday how do you save resources when you do shop for holidays?
Isn't it obvious? he walks around the neighborhood going through peoples' garbage and makes his presents out of that.

"What's that honey? You want a new phone for Christmas?"

*hands over styrofoam cups with string attached*

/envy
Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #33
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:

Awe come on bailout! Let's not get too preachy here. I bet he'd burn less fuel shopping than you did last summer in the mountains finding all those mountain lakes.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #34
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i'll be working :(

but its at a pet store.. we dont have black friday deals.. we just get 1 million tire kickers who come in and make a mess
Old 11-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #35
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Brian ....... you are making it sound like ANY fuel use is no good.
I never said that, Bob. I only said that the poster's statement that shopping online uses no fuel was inaccurate.

Quote:
Buy Nothing Day isn't so much about saving resources as it is an exercise in 2 things:

1) Thumbing our noses at the entirety of gluttonous consumerism which, by proxy, screws up all of the retail forecasting for the holiday season as it is based on Black Friday sales.

2) Having a personal epiphany that most of us do indeed actively spend money each day of the year, and that we simply do not need to. Going for 24 hours without actively spending a penny is something most of us have never done. Think about it... no Starbucks, no eating out, no online shopping, no retail shopping, no grocery shopping, no beer runs, etc... just for 24 hours. How hard can it be, right?

To expand on your second question, we do what we can to conserve resources throughout the holidays. From a mostly local and totally organic Thanksgiving to only spending a maximum of $50 on each other for Christmas, to getting each other and the children well-made and durable goods, combining shipping (the only thing we ship is the gifts for my children, who live with my first wife), reusing gift wrap and boxes, etc. As an example of the kinds of gifts we give each other here is what I received from my wife last year:

- Hand-crank flashlight so that I don't have to buy disposable batteries for my old Mag-Lite anymore

- Hand-crank radio with NOAA channels in addition to FM/AM, and a port for using the crank to charge cellular phones

- Dryer balls that are good for 500+ uses, negating the need for harmful fabric softener or dryer sheets

- A multi-blade sharpener so that I can keep things like knives and scissors sharp long past their expected service life. This has already saved one knife and 2 pair of scissors from the landfill.

- An autographed copy of a book that a local associate of mine wrote on permaculture gardening

Here's what I got her:

- 2 cute all-metal bookmarks so that she doesn't have to go through the short-lived paper ones from the library anymore

- A flower and leaf pressing kit which has already netted 3 beautiful additions to our wall decorations

- Some beautiful candles made locally from bees wax, and hand decorated by a lady I know

- A hand-made glass candle holder from a local artisan

- Some leather driving gloves so that she can be more comfortable in the mornings, as a reward for her agreeing to no longer perform a warm-up idle

- A small wooden bird feeder kit because she loves Hummingbirds, which came from a sustainable forestry project and included soy-based paints

- A gorgeous coffee/tea cup carved in granite from a local quarry

I already know what I'm getting her this year, too. I can share it here as she doesn't read these boards:

- A special kind of fruit jam that she loved as a child and has not seen since her family left South America when she was quite young. I found a local farmer's wife that produces it in small batches each year, and reserved 2 jars for her last Spring which I can pick up shortly after Thanksgiving.

- A glass tea set made by a local artisan, which I will combine with these totally neat hand-sewn "blossoming" tea flowers that a local lady creates and sells at the Fall craft fair on the Indian reservation.

- An ornate toe ring made by a local artisan from silver mined locally in Virginia City that she's had her eye on since Summer.

I have asked for a credit card and money clip that I spotted in Virginia City last Summer (at the same place she spotted that toe ring) which is also made by a local artisan from silver that was mined locally. This will come in handy as I don't use a wallet anymore due to it hurting my lower back and sciatic nerve, but keeping things in my front pocket causes the magnetic strip on things like credit cards and drivers licenses to quickly wear out and become unusable. It is priced at $49 so it will likely be the only thing I get this year, and I am fine with that as I don't need much.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #36
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
...Going for 24 hours without actively spending a penny is something most of us have never done. Think about it... no Starbucks, no eating out, no online shopping, no retail shopping, no grocery shopping, no beer runs, etc... just for 24 hours. How hard can it be, right? ...
I do it all the time, the tough part is not negating the "free" days by excessive spending inbetween them. Oh well, even the free days aren't really free. Everything costs money, even water... But I have doing great with not buying material things and selling or donating the things I don't use, it's quite liberating.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote