Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
60/40 split rear seat swap question

Does anyone know if the 60/40 split seats can be swapped in to a car that doesn't have them?

I'm thinking of replacing the rear seat in my car if I can find a split rear at a junk yard in good shape. I've got an '08 and assume at least the '07 ones are compatible.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Does anyone know if the 60/40 split seats can be swapped in to a car that doesn't have them?

I'm thinking of replacing the rear seat in my car if I can find a split rear at a junk yard in good shape. I've got an '08 and assume at least the '07 ones are compatible.

Thanks!
I am curious about this as well. I also wonder if the split seat backs recline like my 'non split' rear seat back does.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
well, I don't know about fitmet but I have the 60/40 rear seat and it is awesome.

they will recline independently of one another and they will slide up about 6-8" also. it makes it nice when you are getting groceries. Amazing what a difference a few inches can do for you (yup, I said that). they also do the lay flat thing (well probably 10° or so).

they are really nice if you can find one.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Do they fit? Yes. Perfectly.

There are more lower attachment points with the 60/40 than there are with the solid bench. You will need to cut through the carpet to access the extra nut locations. There is a thread on here somewhere pertaining to a 60/40 swap.

They independantly slide fore/aft, and will lay perfectly flat when the seats have been slid all the way forward. You will end up with a different fabric on the 60/40 as they only came in the RS trim, which had differenct interior fabric than non-RS models.

I was fortunate enough to obtain all the seats from a wrecked RS, so I now have a 60/40 with matching front seats.

Will you find one in a junk yard? Nice dream.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Will you find one in a junk yard? Nice dream.
Why do you say that?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by jayeh; 10-24-2012 at 04:46 PM.
jayeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
well, I don't know about fitmet but I have the 60/40 rear seat and it is awesome.

they will recline independently of one another and they will slide up about 6-8" also. it makes it nice when you are getting groceries. Amazing what a difference a few inches can do for you (yup, I said that). they also do the lay flat thing (well probably 10° or so).

they are really nice if you can find one.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I am curious about this as well. I also wonder if the split seat backs recline like my 'non split' rear seat back does.
Neither solid or split recline. They both fold forward, not backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Why do you say that?
Statistically, since the RS is relatively rare vs non-RS models, the chances of snagging one at a wrecker anywhere are slim.

BTW, the seats are put in mine are from a '10, so you've got '06-'11 to choose from. Actually, now that I think of it, I think the LE received 60/40 when the facelift was introduced in '09.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
bewley

Drives: 2010 Liftback
WeeYari, The split seats do indeed recline. You have to move them forward (from the utmost back position) to then recline them.

Beef, given your alias, the hilarious comment about the extra inches makes sense.
bewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Iggy888

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback
To help visualize some of the work involved, check out this thread from MI.
Iggy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
First, things might be different in Canada; but here in the States the fabric on the 60/40 seat is not different than the bench version.

Secondly, my bench does recline albeit slightly (a few inches). It is one of those things that few Yaris owners are aware of, but it is adjustable.

Lastly, yes the bench seat can be swapped for a split one; but they are not easy to find as you might think and the possibility of finding a good one in a salvage yard is very slim...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Secondly, my bench does recline albeit slightly (a few inches). It is one of those things that few Yaris owners are aware of, but it is adjustable.
Huh. Had not realized there are two stop points in the tilt.

Learn something new every day. Exactly what a forum is meant to do.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewley View Post
WeeYari, The split seats do indeed recline. You have to move them forward (from the utmost back position) to then recline them.

Beef, given your alias, the hilarious comment about the extra inches makes sense.
My 'non split' rear seat back also adjusts exactly as you have described. I just didn't know if the 60/40 seats in the Gen 2 Yaris adjust (I felt that recline was a more efficient initial descriptor) in the same manner, and you and Beef have confirmed that they do.

Every sentence of Beef's post has a double meaning . I imagine he intended it that way.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
First, things might be different in Canada; but here in the States the fabric on the 60/40 seat is not different than the bench version.

Lastly, yes the bench seat can be swapped for a split one; but they are not easy to find as you might think and the possibility of finding a good one in a salvage yard is very slim...
I just read this post and then immediately checked the Toyota site to see which trim levels have which seat configurations (solid vs 60/40)....and.....Hooray! the 2013 Yari are finally on the site! It's been a few days since my last visit to the Toyota site, so someone else may have posted this factoid to another thread. For those of us who are hand crank window fans, the hand crank windows live to see another model year!