Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #289
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Drive View Post
Still on Tokico HTS but with custom springs and Cusco tops.
tops? as in the front upper strut mounts?
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #290
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
tops? as in the front upper strut mounts?
Yes.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #291
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I just read your blog and I'm liking the custom bushing you've made for the engine/transmission. How bad if the vibration in the car? With my shore 60a poly tranny mount the vibration is pretty awful when the AC is on.

Also how are you liking the Cusco uppers, I've been on the fence about buying them but I'm having a hard time in deciding if they're actually worth the money or not.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #292
NJ Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
I just read your blog and I'm liking the custom bushing you've made for the engine/transmission. How bad if the vibration in the car? With my shore 60a poly tranny mount the vibration is pretty awful when the AC is on.

Also how are you liking the Cusco uppers, I've been on the fence about buying them but I'm having a hard time in deciding if they're actually worth the money or not.
Thanks!

Since I did all the mounts at the same time, I cannot comment on individual NVH issues. With all three done though(including an all-steel custom passenger mount), it is horrendous, lol. I've had 95A mounts in my STR S2000 CR and these are 5x worse.

In retrospect, I would have just done the lower pitch mount and call it a day, but there are side benefits to locking everything down.

First is the braking... it just stops way better while in gear. Secondly, the front end just seems to respond to harsh steering inputs better. Lastly, wheel hop has been reduced but still present. I plan on removing the pitch mount again to also replace the front bushing with Delrin.

I've only driven a couple days with the Cusco tops and haven't really been aggressive enough to offer a performance opinion. I'll tell you that they're worth the money just to be able to change shocks out in five minutes and springs in ten!

I would like to get the control arm bushings in tomorrow to see if that kills the wheel hop for good.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #293
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Hmm guess the Cuscos on the short list after I get my new springs in.

Also on another note with your custom springs, do you still have spring travel in full droop are are you holding the springs in place with zip ties or something like that? If its the zip tie solution, I found a way a better way to handle it by using steel rope and steel tabs bolted to the frame rails. There is a open bolt hole on the frame that uses an M10x1 bolt that was almost directly in line with the second hole for the RSB. Its not the best way to deal with it but it works without having to get the shocks shortened.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #294
NJ Drive

Quote:
Hmm guess the Cuscos on the short list after I get my new springs in.

I found a way a better way to handle it by using steel rope and steel tabs bolted to the frame rails.
Brilliant minds think alike- I was considering doing this very thing. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #295
NJ Drive

For curiosity's sake, here is a cutaway of my stock front sway bar.
5.5mm wall thickness, 24.5mm diameter.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #296
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

So the front bar is hollow after all I'm guessing.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #297
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
So the front bar is hollow after all I'm guessing.
For torsion, the center of the bar contributes very little to the effective stiffness. Hollowing out the bar results in more weight savings than lost torsion.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #298
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

So after my terrible defeat at the hands of a Mini this weekend, I decided to follow their lead and adjust the toe on the rear of the car just to see what happens.

Well holy cow what a difference low speed turn in is so much better, but man it sucks to drive on the street so twitchy.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #299
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
how much toe did you do?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #300
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

0 or as close to it as I could get.

I used 2 .05" washers and grinded down one side to be flat.

I test drove the car some more, and it really requires quite a bit less steering input to turn.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #301
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Interesting..
Old 04-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #302
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

For anyone who was wondering Rival vs Toyo in width.
And you can see my severely overheated Toyos in the picture.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #303
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
You are not getting very even tire wear.

Quote:
For anyone who was wondering Rival vs Toyo in width.
And you can see my severely overheated Toyos in the picture.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #304
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Yep, really really bad shoulder wear...even with -3.5 camber. I do think most of it is from me over driving the car though.

I talked to Andy Hollis about that at Nationals last year, since the same thing was happening to him. I don't think I could ever get enough static camber to make these tires work to the fullest.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #305
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Thats the one issue I always had with Solo, no real time to dial in camber, toe, tire temps, and pressures. The only Toyos I've ever ran are the RA-1s on road race cars, as for auto-x it's been BFG Comp T/As, Bridgestone RE-11s, Yokohama A001Rs and Falken Azenis 215s. I know kinda shows how long ago I ran alot, but judging by what I've seen lately the new Rival looks very strong! If you can get advice from Andy Hollis, take it as gospel, he and his wife Ann were already top competitors in '84 when I ran at the Solo II Nationals in Salina Kansas. One thing I have learned through lots of trial and error is to slow down and go faster, best way is to slow your hands down while limiting your steering inputs. Good luck with your car, I'll be working on the STF set-up on my Yaris this season as well.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #306
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

So to add onto the rear toe change, I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not but I'm having a much more difficult time to induce inside spin.
It seems that having less steering input also helps in reducing inside spin which makes sense but I didn't expect this drastic of a change, on my test route I found I was able to get on the gas way way sooner than I normally would while still being able to keep the car pointed where I wanted too.

Not sure if this will pan out during a race but it certainly was surprising, in a good way, driving around.