Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Tie rods?

So I am having some trouble with my steering. I just had an alignment done at Toyota and I'm still getting some wonkiness.

You would think Toyota would have checked my tie rods when doing the alignment but it doesn't surprise me they didn't ...

Anyways, what's happening is it seems my tires will get "stuck" and kind of veer off to the right randomly, and there is play when turning right. Turning left is still tight like it should be.

I'm just wondering if this could be outer or inner tie rods. I am going to do the 9-3 test on the wheel tonight to see if there is any movement in the rod end but just wanted to get someone with more mechanical experience's opinion.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Toyota should have checked for wear in the end links. I've seen some pretty thrased ones. How many miles?

We have upgrade replacement end links that are adjustable, FYI

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Toyota should have checked for wear in the end links. I've seen some pretty thrased ones. How many miles?

We have upgrade replacement end links that are adjustable, FYI
Nice ... what's the advantage with adjustable ones? Sorry, I'm not inept I just don't know much lol

And yeah Toyota *should* have checked - I have ~232,000km or ~144,000 miles.

Our roads here are GARBAGE, pot holes galore.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

They are used to tune the suspension, you can add pre-load to your front sway bar, for example. The Heim joints alone are an upgrade from the stock joints, so if yours are indeed shot (likely at that mileage with rubber parts under the car), now is a good time.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
devinlamothe

Quote:
They are used to tune the suspension, you can add pre-load to your front sway bar, for example. The Heim joints alone are an upgrade from the stock joints, so if yours are indeed shot (likely at that mileage with rubber parts under the car), now is a good time.
Thanks for that info - how well do you think they would hold up to winter with a lot of salt on the roads? Better than stock?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Way better than stock.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
devinlamothe

Quote:
Way better than stock.
By the way I am talking about tie rod ends ... are you sure yours are the same? lol

I am just wondering one more thing. I jacked the car up and tried to look for wheel play ... passenger side there was none, everything was super solid. Drivers side would move a bit at 3 and 9 o'clock and I could see the boot for the ball joint moving a bit.

What I don't understand is when I'm driving it seems like the issue is with the passenger side. Do tie rod ends affect the opposite side of the car?

Any way I am bringing it to a garage to have someone check on it. It doesn't surprise me with our roads this has happened haha
Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
How much do those go for???
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote