Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
Just sayin' strechin isn't new.
Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Do I think it's functional? No. Do I think it's practical? No. Do I think it looks "cool"? Not really.

That being said, I still respect the scene because to me, it takes time, dedication and know-how to pull it off properly.
That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Well I'm happy that here it's illegal and they get towed off the road if the tir/rim are not withing specs.
On one side I can see how if it's dangerous, they would do that for the benefit of others, but as a freedom lover part of me cringes anytime I hear government making things illegal.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #20
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
how to kill any sign of a car culture? Go w/ Quebec's laws.

Geeze you guys have it rough w/ your window tint laws, exhaust laws, wheel/tire laws...and now wood burning stove laws in Montreal lol, it's getting a liiiitle extreme.

I'm not a fan of the stretched tire look (although I love the look of closing a huge wheel gap and having the tires flush with the body with a very mild camber) but like Invader stated above, I can appreciate the time and effort someone puts into something on their own for something that they enjoy.

A handful of people would criticize me for modding my Yaris. To me it has been invaluable in teaching me how to work on cars and makes me smile every time I drive it.

To each their own and I have to give kudos to people when it's deserved
Old 01-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #21
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
I agree with it and pretty much in every province it is illegal when your tires don't match rim specs. It's just ignored and or tolerated. The real problem is when theirs too many stupid people who ruin it for others for anything in life. Usually the main reason laws and regulations are created. Abuse and someone will regulate.

On that note..............yes Quebec has become a bunch of Ass Hats!!! Their following France as a model to regulate everything to the "T" in this province, little by little. It's my birth place but I am 9km from Ontario and looking into selling everything to move out.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #22
tadakun

Drives: 09 Yaris
Man i'm stupid happy that I don't live in Quebec now.
tadakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #23
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
I agree with it and pretty much in every province it is illegal when your tires don't match rim specs. It's just ignored and or tolerated. The real problem is when theirs too many stupid people who ruin it for others for anything in life. Usually the main reason laws and regulations are created. Abuse and someone will regulate.
I agree that certain laws have their reason because like you said, too many people lack the common sense and always have to ruin it for good people.

However, there are times where it makes no sense to enforce a certain law and it is better off ignored (like what they typically do in Ontario with most car laws regarding aftrermarket parts). If I drove like an ass on city streets and I get pulled over, I'd probably have a handful of tickets for aftermarket parts as well as the speeding ticket. But If I drive with some common sense then I get left alone with no problems.

In the end the fact that it's a Yaris and still looks somewhat "factory" keeps any cop from really caring. Lets be honest, no one is breaking any land speed records in a Yaris.....o wait, ya they are
Old 01-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #24
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
...Lets be honest, no one is breaking any land speed records in a Yaris.....o wait, ya they are
Ha
Old 01-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #25
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I'm willing to bet MUSKOKA800 is wishing Ontario had Quebec's winter tire law right about now.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
lormagni

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.33 SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
how to kill any sign of a car culture? Go w/ Quebec's laws.

Geeze you guys have it rough w/ your window tint laws, exhaust laws, wheel/tire laws...and now wood burning stove laws in Montreal lol, it's getting a liiiitle extreme.
Believe me, in Italy the situation is similar or even worse!
The only things allowed are: brakes upgrade, body kits (only if they respect some size limits), springs (only if they lower the car not too much) and aftermarket wheels (but in most of cases you should stay with the OEM size).
The other things such as wheel spacers, coilovers, different size wheels, full exhaust systems, engine upgrades, cold air intakes are not allowed. If the police catches you with some of these upgrades you'll get a fine of 400 euros and you won't be able to use your car until you remove the illegal parts and carry your car to the the Department of Motor Vehicles to be inspected.
As you were saying before this is the best way to kill car culture, so stupid!
lormagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #27
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by lormagni View Post
Believe me, in Italy the situation is similar or even worse!
The only things allowed are: brakes upgrade, body kits (only if they respect some size limits), springs (only if they lower the car not too much) and aftermarket wheels (but in most of cases you should stay with the OEM size).
The other things such as wheel spacers, coilovers, different size wheels, full exhaust systems, engine upgrades, cold air intakes are not allowed. If the police catches you with some of these upgrades you'll get a fine of 400 euros and you won't be able to use your car until you remove the illegal parts and carry your car to the the Department of Motor Vehicles to be inspected.
As you were saying before this is the best way to kill car culture, so stupid!
What I don't understand is why they even allow you to purchase them in the first place if they're illegal to use. It's ultimatly you, the end user, who suffers because of this.

It's a real shame too, because sometimes aftermarket parts actually exceed OEM specs.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #28
ern-diz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBd62xlJ6s-/
Old 02-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #29
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Should have been a knobby.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #30
tadakun