Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #37
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Maybe that is cause the Yaris has some pretty good safety features ? AirBags, ABS and the rest of the things we take for granted, until we actually need them. Just imagine if they weren't there .. I don't think that we would be walking away from these crashes quite so fast.
I happened to read this post after your following one, but I'm glad I did as that made it even funnier on it's own (for those of us who read a certain recent thread Bronsin started).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #38
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Well.....now that I just read your post.....you're right, HOWEVER he could have handled the situation better, He could have been more diplomatic re his choice of words.
I agree, but having done several ride-alongs with various police departments, you never know what kind of day a cop is having hence sometimes they are not in the best of moods.

He still should have pick his words better, but sometimes the duties of the job can be a lot to handle even for the best of individuals...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #39
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The trooper that came to our accident was very courteous and said that she was at fault . There are a few in the field who care . If it shows her responsible on paper , not known . Think you have to pay for that info .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #40
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I agree, but having done several ride-alongs with various police departments, you never know what kind of day a cop is having hence sometimes they are not in the best of moods.

He still should have pick his words better, but sometimes the duties of the job can be a lot to handle even for the best of individuals...
I agree with you re those who are out in a patrol car and must manage all that entails, but Bronsin's cop was on bicycle patrol (he did post that after my initial comment though). The impetus for my initial feeling is that I think that many police officers in union states, especially older ones with quite a bit of seniority within their departments, don't appreciate what they have as much as they should. Some LEOs in Texas have that type of protection and relative security, but many don't. LEOs in many jurisdictions in the Tri-State area (NJ,NY, and CT) don't get the super generous pensions (in dollar amount relative to their salaries) that many jurisdictions in California enjoy, but they get them after less time on the job (especially NYC -- 20 years -- although I heard for new hires they raised it to 22 years).
Old 08-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
This just happen recenly and my insurance paid for it.

I had to pay $500 dedutible and $117 betterment.

This wasnt my fault, but no witness and police did'nt come so insurance can't do anything about it.

Lesson learn, now im buying a dash camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (91.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: gif first.gif (55.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: gif second.gif (42.7 KB, 75 views)

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #42
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
I happened to read this post after your following one, but I'm glad I did as that made it even funnier on it's own (for those of us who read a certain recent thread Bronsin started).
I just hope that Bronsin has learned a lesson here. The safety features in the Yaris are there for a very good reason. I have had several accidents myself and have walked away from every one of them. I have hit a deer (try that one in a Tercel) and a transit bus (same Tercel) and several cars (yes the drivers here are that bad), and have never been hurt.

Why .. cause manufacturers like Toyota put things in their vehicles that make walking away a possibility.

I am just happy that no one got hurt in this case, cause cars can be repaired and humans, not so easily.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #43
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I just hope that Bronsin has learned a lesson here. The safety features in the Yaris are there for a very good reason. I have had several accidents myself and have walked away from every one of them. I have hit a deer (try that one in a Tercel) and a transit bus (same Tercel) and several cars (yes the drivers here are that bad), and have never been hurt.

Why .. cause manufacturers like Toyota put things in their vehicles that make walking away a possibility.

I am just happy that no one got hurt in this case, cause cars can be repaired and humans, not so easily.
Agreed. Humans don't heal as easily. I learned something as well (as I found myself agreeing with Bronsin at times on THIS point (I agree with him on other points.....except which baseball team to root for....boo Yankees!). It's almost like karma...after Bronsin's rant and then my rant and then comments from others it seems as though a rash of YW members got in accidents in a short period of time.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #44
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post

This wasnt my fault, but no witness and police did'nt come so insurance can't do anything about it.

I imagine that if (or should I say when) budgets get more strapped over time and services re LEOs are cut, the need for a dash cam will become even more critical.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #45
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes I have championed dash cams for all cars for quite some time.

Then you dont need cops. Everything is sorted right away and everyone would drive safer KNOWING whatever they do is recorded...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #46
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yes I have championed dash cams for all cars for quite some time.

Then you dont need cops. Everything is sorted right away and everyone would drive safer KNOWING whatever they do is recorded...
My first thought = Good point. In our increasingly Orwellian world it seems the only place we have an expectation of privacy is in our own homes...and only if we own the property, so why not.

My second thought = ....championed dash cams for all cars for quite some time....then.....why don't you have a recording of your accident?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #47
bronsin

Quote:
My first thought = Good point. In our increasingly Orwellian world it seems the only place we have an expectation of privacy is in our own homes...and only if we own the property, so why not.

My second thought = ....championed dash cams for all cars for quite some time....then.....why don't you have a recording of your accident?
Yes dash cams are Orwellian. But people drive like lunetics and with the knowledge what they do is being recorded and they will be held accountable accidents, suffering, and tradgedy should decline.

Also there would be less litigation, lying, cheating, and fraud saving everyone $$$$$$.

Cant find investors for my camera + the lawyers dont like me.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #48
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post

THAT was ~$6500???!!!

Im doomed....
Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #49
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Yes dash cams are Orwellian. But people drive like lunetics and with the knowledge what they do is being recorded and they will be held accountable accidents, suffering, and tradgedy should decline.

Also there would be less litigation, lying, cheating, and fraud saving everyone $$$$$$.

Cant find investors for my camera + the lawyers dont like me.
.......but you personally could have one in just your car as some other YW members do.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #50
bronsin

I have a question.

I owe $2000 on the car. If the insurance company totals it, do they cover what I owe?

In other words, I have a $2000 deductible. I owe $2000 on the loan. Its worth $11,000.

So if its totaled, do I get $7000.

That would suck! I would have to just drive it probably.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #51
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I have a question.

I owe $2000 on the car. If the insurance company totals it, do they cover what I owe?

In other words, I have a $2000 deductible. I owe $2000 on the loan. Its worth $11,000.

So if its totaled, do I get $7000.

That would suck! I would have to just drive it probably.
Unless you have gap insurance (which covers the difference between what you paid for the car and what it is currently worth), you will only get current value minus deductible.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #52
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Unless you have gap insurance (which covers the difference between what you paid for the car and what it is currently worth), you will only get current value minus deductible.
Current valve - deductible = $11,000 - $2000 =$9000.

New Yaris = ~$16,500 bottom line. (and I have 0% interest for another 20 months on the current one. No way Im getting that on a loan tomorrow)

So it would cost me $7500 to get a new one.

I guess I could go used $11,000-$9000 = $2000 OUT OF POCKET.

Makes sense to drive the old one as is!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #53
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
The damage on your car is very minor in nature .. so depends if you want to fix it or pocket the money the insurance company will give you as some people do.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #54
bronsin

estimate $3400 + fix the suspension