Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
etherdude

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed
Winter Tires and wheel for my 2012 Yaris SE

I'd like to keep the factory aluminum wheels and tires (195/50-16) together and in good condition through our tough winters up here in New England. Thus, I'd like to purchase a complete replacement set of winter tires and steelie wheels in a minus one (185/60-15) size.

Tire Rack claims it does not have a steel wheel for the Yaris (though this would be a stock rim) and wants to sell me an aluminum wheel in their preferred winter tire package. Further, I know I need TPMS sensors, but it appears they are not included in the price quote...

Questions:

1. What do you guys recommend in winter tires/wheels?
2. Source for stock steel wheels?
3. What should a reasonable price be for the TPMS sensors for 4 wheels?

Thanks in advance for any help ytou can give me.

Doug Ruby
Massachusetts
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I went way off the deep end for my winter setup: 175/70R14 X-Ice 2's. The rims were courtesy of a local junk yard that had a set of 4 Protege steelies, which I then sent out for sandblasting and powdercoating. I skipped the TPMS valves and just went with old fashioned valve stems, and did the TPMS bypass switch mod to kill the nag light.

That said, I love the setup: if I can see the color of pavement/asphalt under the snow/slush, I have traction. The cost of refinishing the rims was a little under the cost of 15" OEM steelies, but I really like the results. If you're looking for used stock steelies, start with car-part.com. If you want new OEM, start with villagetoyota.com, sparkstoyota.com, or toyotapartszone.com.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Just did a quick search on car-part.com for Yaris steelies near zip 01001 and found a truckload of "new" ones in New Haven. Looks like a good price too: $75 a pop!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
yeah, you can get brand new scion 15" wheels from the dealer for $200 for the set of 4. That is what we did for my wife's '08