Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
RodimusPrime

Drives: 1998 Intrepid
Smile Your Yaris Goals

Exactly what it says.

What are you looking to do if anything with your Yaris? Have a daily driver and looking for nothing more or are you wanting to bring something to the sub-compact performance playing ground and lay a smack down on unsuspecting motorists?

I'm more than curious of the direction people are wanting to take this vehicle. I've yet to obtain one of my own but am currently doing extensive research on it and its' competitors with the likelyhood of an outcome coming within the next recent months.

You can list current and sought after modifications . Expected competition levels (Track/Show), etc... Just give me beneficial feedback that can be used as a benchmark for newbs and elders alike. Somone will want to come across what the hell we're wanting to do with these things.

So what do you want?

What are you waiting for!
RodimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
I already have new tires and rims. I have springs to lower it, just not installed yet.

i want to add:
speakers, possibly an amp/sub
dvd in-dash with iPod aux
exhaust tip
seat covers or just new seats altogether
possibly paint the inside console red

that's about it...........for now.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
I want to make it a daily drive car. It must look good, runs well, and only JDM parts.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I don't get this JDM parts fixation.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
what im looking for is a nice looking daily driver, as well as a nice beginner auto-x car......
nqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I put all this crap in my garage.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
my headlight to be done
exhaust tip maybe, or just exhaust
sound system

and pay off the car.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Disturb3dMind3d

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
I believe the "JDM" fixation is like the alteza's/ rice fixation everyone had back in the 90's...
Disturb3dMind3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
RodimusPrime

Drives: 1998 Intrepid
Sounds good!

Since I'm already leaning towards a Yaris and most likely will be shopping for one shortly I'll post a trimmed list of what I would do.

Exterior:
Kaminari Kit
Factory USDM Wing
Flat Black Scheme done by moi

Interior:
Bride Front Buckets
Takata Harnesses
Rear Seat matched to Buckets
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel & Shift Knob
Fiberglass dash mounted Tach/OilTemp/AFR Guage pod

Suspension:
Tien Coilovers
Swaybars
Front Tower Braces
Subframe Brace

16" or 17" wheels

Power is where I'm currently stumped. Not sure if I want to go with a charger or a turbo. I've seen the few products that are currently out and would probably wait a while longer for more released items, as well as, research on how the Yaris can handle the gains I'm looking for... If someone hits them before I attempt to do so.
RodimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
you can't get blood out of a turnip
Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqd View Post
what im looking for is a nice looking daily driver, as well as a nice beginner auto-x car......
+1

For me this means rims and tires, short shift kit, suspension, sways (if needed). Already got lightweight crank pulley on there.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
My list goes in order:

Cold Air Intake
Cat back 2.25 exhaust
Pulley cranks
rear sway bar
front strut
rims and skins
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Scratch that list. I'm just gonna get me one of these...

Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
Scratch that list. I'm just gonna get me one of these...
Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
JDM tail lights, atenna, cabine pockets and arm rest, coilovers, eyelids, wheels, strut tower bar, pulleys, exhaust, head pipes, supercharger, HID lights .... I am slowly collecting all pieces. It gets me broke but I am happy. Sleep + Eat + JDM = My 24/7!

If you are in Singapore, I can understand the car is already expensive there.. Here in USA, Toyota put all economic parts together and price tagged it for $10k "us" dollars. You can understand the same car here has more things to play.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
I'm want a good looking daily driver out of my Frog.
So fay I've done nothing more than Tint, an Apple and my 2 of my favorite rock bands stickers, and install a remote door lock system.

In my near future (maybe a week) I'll replace the central console green bulbs to white leds and install a "kicker panel" lighting scheme (a couple of Jumbo red lights per side :P).
in the future, I'll drop it (prolly a 1.2in drop), install a CAI (once CCharles launches it. I'm in no particular rush), and change the rims to 16" silver rims (haven't decided which yet. Budget is critical here)
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #17
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I like it pretty much the way it is. 40+ mpg average now. The body design to me is excellent.....sort of like a purty woman in blue jeans and t-shirt, you can change her attire, put makeup on her, etc. but you might not improve her a bit, she's got the smooth simple body with all the curves in the right places (excellent design). That said I hate the stock hubcaps, so I'm adding baby moons which I feel is a classic style that has been around since the 30's...smooth, simple, and clean, complimenting the overall design (how many of the hundreds of styles of alloys stay in style more than a few years?). Also I've lowered it. I KNOW no one likes my seat covers but that's a personal gift to me from my daughter, and I could care less what people think!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #18
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturb3dMind3d View Post
I believe the "JDM" fixation is like the alteza's/ rice fixation everyone had back in the 90's...
I know what it is, just can't figure out why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDoc View Post
JDM tail lights, atenna, cabine pockets and arm rest, coilovers, eyelids, wheels, strut tower bar, pulleys, exhaust, head pipes, supercharger, HID lights .... I am slowly collecting all pieces. It gets me broke but I am happy. Sleep + Eat + JDM = My 24/7!

If you are in Singapore, I can understand the car is already expensive there.. Here in USA, Toyota put all economic parts together and price tagged it for $10k "us" dollars. You can understand the same car here has more things to play.
I think you need to check out some of our local cars if you think the aftermarket is thin here - the skirts and spoilers that you guys get so excited about are a dealer-fitted optional accessory, and that's only just the beginning.

You can't get more JDM than importing your own RHD Vitz from Japan. Long ago, one issue of Import Tuner had this guy taking a bare US-market EK Civic hatchback and hanging all-JDM parts onto it, from a genuine EK Type R engine, gearbox, seats, etc. Fine for show and great to read about. He probably went to great expense to do it as well, but it still remained LHD. It kind of takes the shine off the JDM look.

The car costs about US $32000 over here (damn taxes!). Our car's aren't JDM either (made in Thailand). We do have JDM Vitz as a small volume parallel import, and done the comparison, if you wanted to get down to it being JDM through and through, are you going to swap the front windscreen glass just because one is inscribed "Toyota Japan" and the other simply says "Toyota Safety Glass"?

Its just one of probably hundreds of tiny differences that set the Vitz apart from the Yaris.

Its slight, but while both cars look like twins, the more you look around, the more differences you pick up, it feels a little less well put together, the engine sounds a little rougher than a JDM 1NZ-FE, it lacks certain quirky but nice little touches of JDM that have probably been deleted to simplify the manufacture.

Like the guy with the LHD Civic EK9 Type R, it would be a supreme effort to make your car pukka JDM as you want. I'm not raining on your parade, just wondering why, as it is pretty difficult. You wouldn't be the first guy to want to JDM his Yaris, and I suggested the same thing to him the last time - buy a JDM Vitz.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote