Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
Mess11

Drives: Civic
How will this car do against other subcompacts (Fit, Versa)

I'm so glad these subcompacts are finally in the US. All of the sudden there's the Yaris, Fit and Versa. I personally think the Yaris liftback looks the best, but how do you guys think the 3 cars compare?
Mess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
JDE

Drives: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess11
I'm so glad these subcompacts are finally in the US. All of the sudden there's the Yaris, Fit and Versa. I personally think the Yaris liftback looks the best, but how do you guys think the 3 cars compare?
I'm with you man the Fit seriously looks like a small minivan. Just looked up versa and it looks ok, but the Yaris I think should be the most successful of them. Afterall it was the best selling car in Europe recently.
JDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
when we were looking for a new car, we looked at all the other cars in the Australian market. these are the: kia rio, hyundai getz, mitsubishi colt, honda jazz (fit), mazda2, holden barina and toyota yaris. guess which one we bought?

here's an australian newspaper's review of all the small cars in the australian market, including the new yaris:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/gian...400302892.html
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 AM   #4
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Just read the Australian review and wish the Canadian Yaris could have side, curtain and knee air bags too. It is already a very well balanced car and can be more so with those safety features. However, they are somehow not available to us. I speculate that the 07 models here will have them in order to match the competitions like the Honda Fit.

Last edited by swng; 01-13-2006 at 01:21 AM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #5
YarisBueller
Administrator

The Yaris is a new car while the Fit is an aging car thats just being brought into a new market. I do honestly believe the Yaris is a superior car from a safety and reliability standpoint.
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:25 AM   #6
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
I echo your sentiments YB.
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
VitzBoy
Administrator

Drives: Yaris
I think the Fit will be Yaris' biggest competition just because it's a Honda. But I agree with the other members and think in the end the new Yaris will win out over the older Fit!
VitzBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
I'm sure Honda wants to test the market for profitability first, much like Toyota bringing the Echo Hatchback (Vitz) to Canada for 2004/2005, and then releasing the new Yaris in fall 2005 as a 2006...

I would not be surprised if a new Fit shows up in the next 2 years if it sells well in North America...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
jake3356

Drives: Element
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
I'm sure Honda wants to test the market for profitability first, much like Toyota bringing the Echo Hatchback (Vitz) to Canada for 2004/2005, and then releasing the new Yaris in fall 2005 as a 2006...

I would not be surprised if a new Fit shows up in the next 2 years if it sells well in North America...
How well has the new Yaris been selling in Canada? That might be a good sign how it does in US. Does Honda sell the Fit in canada too?
jake3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
the fit looks bigger than yaris. so yaris looks more sporty and fun IMO. rio.. well it's a good car, but something doesn't appeal to me. versa looks plain ugly and boring. swift looks ok and it's small enough, but interior looks worst than yaris and it's a 1.6L. so yaris gets my vote.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake3356
How well has the new Yaris been selling in Canada? That might be a good sign how it does in US. Does Honda sell the Fit in canada too?
Echo Hatch which the US did not get, the car that the Yaris replaced, was the top selling Toyota in Canada, unlike the US where the Echo did not sell well...The first month of Yaris sales, it beat the previous month of Echo sales by something like twenty percent...

Fit will be coming to Canada in similar timing to the US...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #12
avenno2g7

You guys might shoot me, but I actually like the FIT the more and more I look at it, its very trendy actually and has a modern Honda face to it. The one thing that really pulls me to the Yaris is that its such a great performance vehicle for its class. As they say, looks are only skin deep.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
OKJeeper

Drives: 2004 Jeep Wrangler
I think the Fit will have to be a decision made when I actually see the car. The pictures that Honda has of it make it like a Mini-Mini-Van. I've seen other pics of it that weren't too bad, taken more from a higher view like if you were actually standing beside it and not looking at it from ground level. The Versa is just plain weird looking. I don't like the long front end with the tacky egg-crate grill. The only competition the Yaris has in my book is the Kia Rio5 they just released in the US.
OKJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The Fit is a honda. Yuck. The Yaris seems to be the only small car that comes in a 3 door hatch. I think the only other one is the Ford Focus ZX3.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #15
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
i like all of them except the nissan
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:23 AM   #16
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I should say I like all of them. But subjectively, I think the Fit is the most flexible(because it has lay flat front seats) and the Yaris is the best handling(because of the European influence in its design), most maneuverable(because of its small size) and probably most fuel efficient(I said probably because the Fit's fuel efficiency remained unknown to me). Both should be very reliable too.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #17
kralmrax

Drives: 06 yaris rs
unecessary?

i think the front seats lying flat in the Fit is a neat idea, but that's about it. am i the only one who doesn't really see it as a very practical idea? it lays down almost flat so you can store stuff or sleep on it. i wouldn't personally be storing a bunch of dirty camping or skiing gear on the front seat of my new car, and if i'm going camping i'm probably going to sleep on the ground rather than the car. this whole concept seems unecessary and ridiculous . . . . . but maybe i'm wrong.
kralmrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
You are right. The AMC's of old use to have fold flat front seats as well.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote