Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
DIY rear Interior panel removal 09 3dr LB

So when I moved across the country My rear interior panels where scratched to hell by the cage my cat was in... me being slightly OCD ... I decided that I would have these fixed/replaced... when I happened across JR selling his I jumped on it and bought all these panels from him....

After looking for a while and not finding any results on how to do this I decided to take a few pics and put one up... so here it is ....

First and most important if you have airbags in your Yaris like I do then disconnect your negative battery terminal so you don't get an airbag to the face! (one of my biggest fears when working on my car lol)

Alright so after doing that head to the back of your car and do the following (not pictured) remove the spare tire cover, spare tire, and fold seat forward. this whole process probably would've been a whole lot easier if I would have taken out the seat but I didn't really feel like going through all that. Now the back of your car should look a little like this.

in the little storage areas there are 2 knobs that lock the box onto the car... turn them both counter clockwise to unlock and lift up... repeat on the other side.

Now under where those storage boxes where there are two nuts on each side (total of 4) that look like this... They hold the back panel on at the bottom (keep the nuts in a safe place!)

There is also a screw on each side (Phillips head) below the thing that keeps the trunk cover privacy thing up ....take that out

(Sorry I forgot to get a picture of this one but its easy to find)

Ok now move to the front area of the car and pop off the cover that hides the bolt that holds the drivers and passenger side front seat belts up near your shoulder. then take off that bolt with a ratchet thingy (lol IDK what its called) since I didn't need to take this panel off and I really didn't want to because I think that there is an airbag behind it and I really didn't want to fuss with it.... but it really helps to get the seatbelt out of the way. this is what it should look like after you get it off.
***NOTE: be careful not to drop the 2 washers down the inside because you may not find them again! i almost did this

Next pull up on the kick plate in the door jam put it to the side.

Now all the prep work is done.... here comes the fun stuff! grab the panel under the seat belt panel and to the right of the panel (see pic) and pull your lil heart out

***NOTE: The three panels that are under the rear window are one piece! do not try to separate them you'll break something! These are the black piece under the window, the black piece with the back seat cup holders, and the light grey piece in between!***

dont really worry too much about breaking those pins they are surprisingly strong and if you do just replace them with some from your replacement panels!

There is one particularly stubborn blue pin that took me about 20 min to get out its in this general area... again this might have been easier if the seat was out!

That bastard pin!

For the other side of that panel use a screwdriver with a towel or rag around it and get a corner started and pull out towards the middle as well... like this

Now for the next few parts I again forgot to take pics (I know I suck!) but it went so quick I dint even have a chance!

First take out the two pins with needle nose pliers or a flat head-screwdriver in the panel under the inside of the hatch... then pop that piece up and out...

Next grab a hold of the bottom rear side panel that goes around the wheel well and yank it out .... take care of the cable that goes to the hatch light on the drivers side ... just un clip that from the bulb housing.

Now simply repeat on the other side of the car and you have a Yaris with an empty rear (lol) I did not take out the light grey rear panel because I didn't want to fuss with the airbags and "un-reusable" clips

If you are putting these panels back in then good luck trying to get that blue clip back in ....I gave up connecting that pin after another 20 min! but basically just line up the all the white pins and GENTLY tap the panel with your fist ... Remember to do them in the reverse order that you took them out with! oh and don't forget to put the screws and bolts back in

I hope this was all helpful as it took me forever to write!

Constructive criticism is gladly accepted as this is my first in depth DIY write-up
bkndacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
excellent write up..simply f%Uking amazing that here we are in 2010 and we haven't developed the technology to have scratch resistant plastics/composits..thanks Toyota
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Well, what do want from such an inexpensive car? lol

Although I will say my Yaris is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned!
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
The plastic interior pieces on our yari are pretty weak. They can be cut through with a pocket knife haha. Makes it easy to mod if the plastic gets in the way, but super prone to scratches :(
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
42ezra

Drives: 2010 2dr MT Liftback
I have a 2008 3dr hatch - I love the car, ideal for me and my biz - your post here was fantastic. My problem is some kind of ball bearing type object is rolling around in the area BELOW the passenger door (when its closed). This has been referred to as the "rocker panel". I took out the front passenger seat following your excellent directions but I still cannot access this area from where the sound is emanating. Do you have any advice. Toyota said they'd look at and then asked "How much do you want to spend?" I went home and looked up info on YARIS WORLD. Thank you for your kind attention.
42ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ezra View Post
I have a 2008 3dr hatch - I love the car, ideal for me and my biz - your post here was fantastic. My problem is some kind of ball bearing type object is rolling around in the area BELOW the passenger door (when its closed). This has been referred to as the "rocker panel". I took out the front passenger seat following your excellent directions but I still cannot access this area from where the sound is emanating. Do you have any advice. Toyota said they'd look at and then asked "How much do you want to spend?" I went home and looked up info on YARIS WORLD. Thank you for your kind attention.
The rocker panel has very limited access, with there being a couple of small (<1/2") holes that are taped over and a very small access area at the base of the B Pillar, where the seat belt is mounted. It may actually be the ball bearing from the seat belt assembly. There is one in a plastic assembly that makes the seat belt stay taught when it is upside down.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
That doesn't sound good for his safety.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
42ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The rocker panel has very limited access, with there being a couple of small (<1/2") holes that are taped over and a very small access area at the base of the B Pillar, where the seat belt is mounted. It may actually be the ball bearing from the seat belt assembly. There is one in a plastic assembly that makes the seat belt stay taught when it is upside down.
Thanks CTScott. I'm going in through that opening behind the passenger seat belt assembly with a bent coat hanger. I have to get rid of the thing. Driving me nutz! Thanks for your advice.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ezra View Post
Thanks CTScott. I'm going in through that opening behind the passenger seat belt assembly with a bent coat hanger. I have to get rid of the thing. Driving me nutz! Thanks for your advice.
If you can't get it pop down to Southbury some day and I'll give you a hand.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
42ezra

Was delayed but going in now - if have trouble will contact thanks!!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
If you're unable to get that baby out,

try taping a medium strength magnet to the hanger so that it won't fall off after sticking to a body part, and then "fishing" for that problematic ball bearing.

You could also fasten a piece of string on the magnet so that you can retrieve it later and pop it in that channel and let the ball roll around till it gets attached to the magnet, then just pull them both out at the same time. just be sure the magnet is at the lowest position possible so that the ball will roll into it...

If you have access to a dead hard drive, they have VERY strong magnets that are very small and would surely do the job for you!

Aloha !
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote