Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
buda

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE - Manual
2014 Yaris SE or Corolla S?

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a car. Looking to buy in the spring. However I have some questions, and I think it's best to ask here, since every time I look something up on google, there's always a yaris world page!

To cut to the chase, here are my questions/concerns that I'd like opinions on...

Firstly, both cars I'm shopping are 2014 models, and will be manual transmission. (Yaris SE, Corolla S). I live in Toronto, ON, Canada.

As we all know, the Yaris for North America is being assembled in France. This is my concern after doing searches on the forum, and out, people are tending to want to avoid these.

Are the French Yarii noticeably poorer quality than the Japanese? From what I understand, the French assembly plant has been manufacturing Yarii for Europe for quite some time... So if any Europeans with a French built Yaris could give some input? From reliability reports, they still seem to rank highly in Europe. So just curious if it is something I should avoid... because it has me 2nd guessing.

On the other hand, the Corolla is built here in Ontario. Concerns about going with the Corolla are, slightly more expensive, fuel economy is poorer (city at least (according to EPA) Highway mileage looks the same, though I hear many people are beating the EPA with their Yarii, could this also be true for the Corolla? Lastly, size, as all cars age, they seem to be getting bigger and bigger, and I am a single male, and will likely be just me in the car 80% of the time I drive, so unsure if I need the extra space of the Corolla.

I would just like some input on the Yaris/Corolla given the previous points I provided to help me with my decision.

Thanks for your time! All input is welcome, especially from those with a French manufactured Yaris!
buda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I haven't seen a French one over here yet. The VIN would start with a V, rather than a J if it was built in France.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Two different cars cant really compare...both nice the new corolla is quite an improvement over the last one ...love the SE yaris and as for build quality ,sorry to say but so far i have seen way more corollas with body panels out of alignment than the yaris...this is from working at a dealer.
Also keep in mind if u like after market and to play with ur car ur better of with a yaris, corolla does not have a strong after market ,also the drive...have driven both and yes corolla is faster more refine but not as much fun further more for Toronto city driving small is better plus the gas.
I for one would get me an SE 20k plus tax loaded ready to play as to 24k plus tax for corolla...adds up fast.
Two different cars with two different personalities ....tho a lowered 2014 corolla S would look sweet :)
I vote SE Yaris ...its a fun inexpensive hb plus not to many around as SE as for corolla...good looking car like a mini avalon good simple not so exiting transportation ...that is just my opinion .

PS yaris drive train proven and tested car will out live u ..lol New corolla is all new for most part...

I say what ever u buy base it on ur needs and feel...both awesome cars :)
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #4
buda

Thanks for the quick responses, keep them coming! :)
CTScott: I walked to the local Toyota dealer on my lunch hour, and there was only one Yaris there, Auto LE, and it had the V starting the VIN.
I was going to purchase a 2013 SE 5spd in Sept, but there weren't anymore around.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by buda View Post
CTScott: I walked to the local Toyota dealer on my lunch hour, and there was only one Yaris there, Auto LE, and it had the V starting the VIN.
I was going to purchase a 2013 SE 5spd in Sept, but there weren't anymore around.
Ah, so the French ones are hitting our shores. I personally would not have a problem buying a French made one. Spending time in Europe the past few Summers and speaking with owners in quite a few countries, the owners felt that the French made Japanese Yaris was better than equivalent European made European cars.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by buda View Post
I used to have 'French Yaris Fear' . Then (in October of 2013) I toured the Mercedes-Benz plant in Alabama. I hadn't been in an auto plant in 6 or 7 years. I was amazed. The 6 or 7 years might as well have been a lifetime. As others had stated before that on Yarisworld (but I guess I had to see for myself ), the level of robotics/automation/efficiency of processes/etc. in an auto plant (at least one run by one of the major global manufacturers) is amazing. If what I wanted was only produced in France (by Toyota), I'd feel a lot better about it than I did 4 months ago.

I saw (within the last couple of months) a white 2014 Corrola S in a parking lot . VERY sharp looking.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
I would have zero concerns about the yaris being built in france. there is no reason it would be of a lesser quality. all the important aspects of quality manufacturing will be the same. I bought my 2014 yaris in September and thought it might be one the ones built in france. even knowing this I didn't even bother to check until a few weeks later. it just wasn't a concern.

the corolla will feel like more car (quieter/nicer interior/larger, etc..) but of course it costs more. its also a sedan, which is the reason I bought the yaris instead. price wasn't an issue, but I wanted a hatch.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I've driven both for a week at a time, and indeed they are very different cars. If it were my cash, I'd opt for the Yaris, simply because I don't need the extra size of the Corolla, and I'd prefer the mileage of the Yaris.

FWIW, here's my '14 Corolla S review:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...corolla-s.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
YAlexRIs

Drives: Yaris SE 2014
I have a 2014 SE yaris since october 2013. I made 7300km up to date. I love it. My VIN start with a J. I'm form Quebec, Canada.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48615
YAlexRIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 AM   #10
YodaBird

Drives: Gray

2014 Corolla

2014 Yaris

Do you see a resemblance, I do, it's subtle. I've seen a few 2014 corollas and they are a little smaller then their older generations.

I personally would never buy a corolla, in-fact alot of cars don't really do much, in extreme heat or cold all cars are the same and they can only bare so much. The only real expensive cars I'd buy if I had the cash is a Range Rover & Porsche, as for more affordable vehicles a Volkswagen Jetta. Besides those two most cars don't offer much difference, I've been in a 2008 BMW, I thought my Yaris was low, those cars are low. The Yaris has a nice flow to it, it's a basic car but it has the power you need. As I said unless you car is a transformer (as in the movie) extreme heat or cold can wear it out, unless you buy a new car every year or lease as many do, which is just throwing money in the air.

Take care of your car the best you can, the only problem I have is when I have to pay my insurance at $306 / month, each year, and Gas too I try not to fill up too much, especially this winter that never ends. You have to choose, pay insurance or take public transit, and public transit is horrid.

Last edited by YodaBird; 01-29-2014 at 12:25 AM.
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAlexRIs View Post
I have a 2014 SE yaris since october 2013. I made 7300km up to date. I love it. My VIN start with a J. I'm form Quebec, Canada.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48615
I have the same amount of Km on my car after almost (2) years :)
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I certainly don't think you can go wrong with either one. When I bought my 2012 Yaris (stick), I was also considering a Corolla (stick). The reasons I went with the Yaris:

1. I drive solo at least 90% of the time...no need for the bigger Corolla.
2. Corolla cost a few thousand dollars more and had a few extra features that I didn't care about.
3. Insurance on the Yaris was a bit cheaper.
4. MPGs on the Yaris was a bit better. In the summer, I can easily get 40-43mpg if I drive in a normal, sane manner. I've been as high as 47mpg for tank.

Not sure if this helps. Again, I think they are both nice cars (and I do like what they've done with the 2014 Corolla). Good luck!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
buda

Everything helps, whether positive or negative. Thanks! Feel free to add if anyone cares to.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Yesterday I was talking to a guy who just bought two 2014 Yari (both 3-door models) . He works for Chevron, is a Pharmacist, and also owns two pharmacies on the side. He bought the Yari as a business purchase (for deliveries for his pharmacies). He said so far so good, he thinks they're great. Both are automatics, but being a business purchases that would make more sense re resale and also flexibility re who needs to use the vehicle.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
IMG_0576.jpeg

hb look so good specifically SE wish we had a 2 door SE here
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #16
YAlexRIs

Drives: Yaris SE 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Attachment 52739

hb look so good specifically SE wish we had a 2 door SE here
Very nice with the white wheels!
YAlexRIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
No 2 Door Corolla

Personally, I wanted a 2 door car, Yaris was/IS perfect!
Really impressed with the way it operates, so I am probably
biased from driving it
Wanted a very small car & the reliability factors posted here
really swayed my decision.
The white 4 door above is very sharp, yet I just love having a coupe!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
buda

So everyone thinks the French manufacturing is a non-issue eh? That's good to know. I will make my final decision after visiting the Autoshow this month in Toronto. Thanks for all the feedback guys!