Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #181
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Well I just wanted to update this thread with my new setup (tires+custom shocks).

I paxed 35th out of 140 in a region that has multiple jacket national champions. There was easily another 2-3 seconds left in my run, I was very dirty since I didn't quite know how to drive it.

This car is amazingly easy to drive at 8/10ths I've never driven such an easy car to drive if I didn't screw my line up so bad I could have easily paxed top 10 against some of the best drivers and cars in the country. I can't say enough good things about how easy this car is to drive on the limit even with the slick surface at Fontana. I'm loving this car so much right now its just such easy car to hold at the limit.

Fast Run
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #182
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
^ in other words... it's easy to drive and you like it?

hehehe

congrats on your 1st place :)
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #183
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Sounds like you are getting a lot of inside wheel spin.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #184
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I was...not quite sure where the problem is stemming from but I'm going to keep the car as is for a bit until I get a bit more comfortable with it. You can see how terrible my line was so I'm going to work on that for a bit then correct the last few problems with the car.
Overall I think its about 90% where I want it but it probably needs to be a bit tighter.

Jesus...You could say that ;) I'm really loving this car right now. Thanks I think its only the 2nd time I've pulled a first so I'm super stoked right now.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #185
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Last event of the year just happened Sunday. In the overall points for the year I was 3rd in my region. I couldn't get 1st even if I did come in first last event. BUT 2nd was only .6 points away. So all I needed to do was beat they one guy and I would have 2nd in the season.

And the result, I did very well, I did end up coming in 2nd on Sunday. I did beat him in Pax. He ended up in 4th or 5th, can't remember.

I did have a co-driver this event. He did good. Sorry no videos. Hoping to get a GoPro this christmas.. maybe.. I got alot of things on my "want" list.

So that puts me 2nd place for this season in the Buccaneer Region. I will post up the results when they are on the website. 10th place last year. I think I did exceptionally well this year.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #186
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Nice :)

So whats on the "want" list?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #187
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Custom mid pipe
Light weight rims
Fresh RS-3s
Thats the realistic list. The fantasy list is much bigger
Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #188
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Good list, just make sure your mid pipe doesn't use a center muffler it'll be a hateful experience on the streets.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #189
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well today was the first time in a long time I didn't have to run a PAX class to have competitors.
I was given a DC header to test against the header I'm making and I hate to say this but the DC header is a dog below 4k rpm's. I was seeing some top speeds way higher than what I would normally see but when the engine dropped below 3.5k it was rough the car just didn't want to move.

I lost class by 3/10ths (racer excuse - I have been sick and had some pretty severe vertigo which makes going around corners interesting) but the car still performed awesome, even though it was a dog down low the power gain up top sort of made up for it, so I had lots of tail out action and I was drifting around some of the corners because I could get the car going fast enough before the corners for liftoff oversteer to occur. I didn't bother taking a camera this time since I figured my results would have been pretty useless since I'm still recovering from a inner ear issue. Still had a great time though I'm loving the car more and more with these custom shocks and new tires.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #190
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Well today was the first time in a long time I didn't have to run a PAX class to have competitors.
I was given a DC header to test against the header I'm making and I hate to say this but the DC header is a dog below 4k rpm's. I was seeing some top speeds way higher than what I would normally see but when the engine dropped below 3.5k it was rough the car just didn't want to move.

I lost class by 3/10ths (racer excuse - I have been sick and had some pretty severe vertigo which makes going around corners interesting) but the car still performed awesome, even though it was a dog down low the power gain up top sort of made up for it, so I had lots of tail out action and I was drifting around some of the corners because I could get the car going fast enough before the corners for liftoff oversteer to occur. I didn't bother taking a camera this time since I figured my results would have been pretty useless since I'm still recovering from a inner ear issue. Still had a great time though I'm loving the car more and more with these custom shocks and new tires.
Get that thing on the dyno.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #191
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Yep, I'm waiting to see if my co worker is coming back this week otherwise I'll setup an appointment with RMR or Church's this Fri.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #192
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Yep, I'm waiting to see if my co worker is coming back this week otherwise I'll setup an appointment with RMR or Church's this Fri.
Is that the same place you did your baseline runs? Or will you switch it while you are there?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #193
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I've got a baseline from here at work but I won't be able to directly compare it to anything else unless I get another dyno from here which I can't guarantee.

If my coworker doesn't show up this week I'll have to get new baselines, which is basically the car setup as it is, its not ideal but it is what is. RMR is my first choice but if they're unavailable I'd go to church's as a backup. But it will be dynoed at the same place before and after so the results are comparable.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #194
justjesus

I'll say it again. You and that car looked good out there. I liked how the tail came out just enough, then it gripped and you pulled ahead. It was sweet.

And you outpaxed me! Punk. LOL - I mean, congrats on that finish :)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #195
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

LOL I didn't PAX that much higher

I'm loving the car more and more its just such a blast to drive at the limit , you pretty much drive it with the throttle. I just need to learn to left foot brake and I can unlock a bunch of speed :) I'm still a few seconds off a top 10 PAX but it'll happen with some more practice...I hope.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #196
justjesus

yup yup - not too much more. I'm sure you'd kill me if I were in STF.

Too bad I never picked up left foot braking with the Civic.... I was getting a handle on it with the Yaris back in my CST days ( I practiced on the street. I don't daily the Civic, so I can't do the same)
Old 12-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #197
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well today was the trial by fire for my long tube headers and man what a difference they seemed to make. I was actually having trouble getting power down, but the car worked out fantastic and I finally managed to beat the Mazda 3 thats been whooping me all season by a second so I'm pretty happy about that.

I don't know why sound didn't record on the video but that probably explains why the thing was beeping.

Last race of 2012
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #198
justjesus

aw man. i didn't know about that race.
we could have co driven!
i thought my next race would be end of January!