Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
keep it covered
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
my friend had NOS in his old 85 5.0 and it was fun. but im telling you, get the turbo kit. imagine the day you run out of NOS and it will be a day or two til you get to refill it, but then a scion pulls up beside you...you no longer have advantage. where as turbo kit, it's always there for you. Not to mention how sweet blow off valves sound.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Just remember other people have nitrous too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_09a...eature=related
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #22
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
keep it covered
Precisely or even behind my sub :b
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleTimeTim View Post
my friend had NOS in his old 85 5.0 and it was fun. but im telling you, get the turbo kit. imagine the day you run out of NOS and it will be a day or two til you get to refill it, but then a scion pulls up beside you...you no longer have advantage. where as turbo kit, it's always there for you. Not to mention how sweet blow off valves sound.
If someone pulls up and I don't have my bottle I won't mess around lol my car isn't fixed up at all other than the oem spoiler etc it would be a sleeper. It's either this NOS idea or finish paying the car off then trade it in for something else, but I'd feel bad because my dad got the vehicle itself for me. I have faith that this car can fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
Just remember other people have nitrous too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_09a...eature=related
Not around here lol
Old 05-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #23
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Dunno if you can see this page but:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/searc...archid=2331889

If you can't read it, I suggest registering there and searching the police forums for legality issues.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #24
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Dunno if you can see this page but:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/searc...archid=2331889

If you can't read it, I suggest registering there and searching the police forums for legality issues.
Screenshot the thread? What is that.

EDIT:

Read up abit, aslong as it is 10-20lbs I can apparently have it. Must be hooked up aswell and aslong as I'm not breaking the speed limit I can spray all I want.

Let's consider this a success everyone, will I be the only one on this forum with Nitrous?

Last edited by .Kevin.; 05-07-2011 at 02:14 AM.
.Kevin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #25
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Not to scare you off of using it, but I was in a toyota dealer a few years ago talking to one of the techs and he showed me some exhaust valves he had just pulled from a customers car. It looked like someone had cut a slit into them with a cutting torch! No joke. Don't really know any of the other details, all I know is that it was from the NOS.

NOS is an Oxidizer similar to Oxygen. It makes the fuel burn WAY hotter, that's where the extra power comes from. But that's also where the danger in melting down your engine is.

Just a warning.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

I thought NOS was cold air? It is not even combustable so what made you assume that NOS did that.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #27
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

It's an oxidizer. It promotes burning just like oxygen.

Maybe you should be doing a litte more research on HOW the system works before you kill your motor.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Not to scare you off of using it, but I was in a toyota dealer a few years ago talking to one of the techs and he showed me some exhaust valves he had just pulled from a customers car. It looked like someone had cut a slit into them with a cutting torch! No joke. Don't really know any of the other details, all I know is that it was from the NOS.

NOS is an Oxidizer similar to Oxygen. It makes the fuel burn WAY hotter, that's where the extra power comes from. But that's also where the danger in melting down your engine is.

Just a warning.
That damage may very weel be do to nitrous. The engine willl go lean if there is to much nitrious and you might detonations and pinging. Use premium fuel and keep the nitrous shot low for starters and take it from there.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #29
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
That damage may very weel be do to nitrous. The engine willl go lean if there is to much nitrious and you might detonations and pinging. Use premium fuel and keep the nitrous shot low for starters and take it from there.
Good thing I always run premium anyways :)
Old 05-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #30
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

It might also be in your interest to run an A/F sensor and larger injector for additional fueling. Might even need a FMU.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #31
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Bluevitz-rs, you left out an important detail.

N2O also provides a cooling effect, an important factor. It's not just the oxygen atom that is useful with this system.

I can't explain it any better (from http://paultan.org/2006/02/23/how-do...-oxide-work/):

Quote:
So how exactly does injecting nitrous oxide into the engine help? Combustion is basically igniting a mixture of oxygen and fuel in a combustion chamber with a sparkplug. The resulting explosion produces power. What happens is a nitrous oxide injection system pumps nitrous oxide into an engines intake system. At 296 degrees Celsius, the nitrous oxide breaks down into nitrogen and oxygen. The loose oxygen atom is burned together with the combustion. More oxygen = more power. Its as simple as that.

Of course there are some issues with the proportion of fuel and air and pre-mature detonation that well look at later. Also, why not just inject oxygen instead of nitrous oxide since what we need is the oxygen anyway? Pure oxygen would result in too wild a combustion, resulting in a blown engine. This is because the nitrogen atoms in the nitrous oxide have a function as well. The nitrogen atoms released have a cooling effect on the combustion temperature. It absorbs the heat and helps carry it away.
Further, there are NOS kits that spray onto an intercooler -- those have nothing to do with combustion.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #32
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Meaning everything should be fine aslong as we don't shoot too much
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #33
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

^ as long as the kit is spraying fuel with the NOS in the proper proportions then you should be fine.

And I would avoid hitting the rev limiter like the black plague for risk of running lean.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #34
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

well Yaris usually rides at 2.5k rpm so if I go with wet spray I figured launching it then would be about right in the rpms range
Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #35
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
I've been dealing with nitrous for years (since 2001). The number one thing that you will need before you even purchase the nitrous kit is an AEM wideband O2. Install that first and check where your fuel ratio actually is. Safest way to run nitrous is with a wet system, the dry system will hit harder but this setup is usually the cause of all the horror stories you hear from people. People spray too much nitrous without the appropriate fuel and then everything goes boom. Start out small with a 50 shot jet and work your way up. Just be sure to monitor your air/fuel gauge and be sure that you have enough fuel before you up the jets.

My friend has a tC and we've been told countless times on numerous forums and from many people in person that the motor can't handle more than a 75 shot. We started out with the 75, saw that we had enough fuel, took it to 100, saw we still had enough fuel, jumped to 150, still had enough fuel, now we're at 200. If we run 110 octane we can go further but that stuff isn't cheap lol. We only run the car on 93 octane unless we have a big race.

Just make sure that you monitor your gauge while you're spraying. Also, you can safely run one jet lower on the fuel than the nitrous. If you buy a kit it will give you recommended jet sizes for each shot, you can safely run a 50 shot nitrous jet with the 35 shot fuel jet (I forgot the actual jet numbers and such, sorry). NX has the most complete kit if you want something relatively plug and play. Not sure what they have for the Yaris, you may just have to figure out the fuel fittings and such but everything is "should" work pretty straightforward.

I believe "blacksandiegovitz" is running a nitrous setup currently, you might want to get a hold of him for better/reliable information on safety levels for the Yaris. Let us know how it all works out for you if you end up running nitrous.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote