Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Your take on a Cheap Intake???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COLD-...spagenameZWDVW

What do you think?

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:28 AM   #2
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
the MAF connection seems a little too close to the filter in that one and may throw off a code but hey thats just me thinking stupid... go get one from www.wesellcarparts.com support the sponsors, you can get a dragon whatever intake on there for the same price give or take a few bucks shipped and it will be 10x better for everyone...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Nutzoids

They are in PA... So am I

That means I have to pay Sales Tax.... And one of the BIG reasons I buy on-line is so that UNCLE SAM, the crack whore he is... Doesn't get my money!

Sorry I feel strongly about this!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:44 AM   #4
IanCFitz
Hells Yeah!

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via AIM to IanCFitz
Looks like someone copied the AEM CAI, the filter goes on the other end though...
Old 09-22-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
cdmyaris

No on ebay stuff. Get well known brands.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:08 AM   #6
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
ya the only reason i got the fujita intake off of ebay was cheaper rebate and warranty
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Well business wise here is how I see it. R&D into an intake is just knowing how long to make the tube how to run it diameter MAF space without throwing codes and what not. For example if TRD does this first what makes ya think AEM didnt look at the design make it the same slap some badging on it dyno test it and powder coat it and then market it. I believe if I had some pipe and make the same length and what not painted it and started a company call it Horsepower Unlimited and sold it for $50 when I have $10 in it because all the research has went into it and the hard parts done. Make a jig and bust em out as quick as possible.

So ya think it will work then hey why not buy it.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I'd say support the vendors, but if price or product doesn't work for you for whatever reason, give this a shot and let us know how it goes. As for the MAF location, my set up right now has the MAF about 1 inch from the K&N cone filter, separated by only a clamp, and no codes. I don't know if anyone else has had problems before, and whether it stemmed from sensor alignment/position inside the piping, or if it was purely from the proximity to the filter? I'm using the sensor mount from the original box, so maybe that was the only problem???? I'll post pictures if your need them.
Good luck.
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post

That means I have to pay Sales Tax.... And one of the BIG reasons I buy on-line is so that UNCLE SAM, the crack whore he is... Doesn't get my money!

Have it shipped to a nearby member in MD, NY, NJ? and meet up with them and smokem em out for there time.... I am sure Jerkratt would not mind, I think he is in Trenton
Old 09-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #10
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Yeah that sounds good, why not do that? I mean even if that, whats a few $ have to do with quality/friends?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
It would work, but you get what you pay for, yanno? That thing will probably be a pitted ugly mess in a matter of 12 months.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post

you are still buying from some sort of business which in turn has to pay a tax. the people that deliver it to you are getting paid and taxed. the people who make it are taxed. even if it's made overseas there are import taxes on it. taxes everywhere.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
after having an injen cai on my matrix xrs, i bought a short ram from ebay to use in the winter....

i ran with the ebay sri (with a k&n filter, of course) for over a year with no problems. i fully intend to reuse the sri on my yaris. i have no quoms with ebay intakes...

however, if thats a pic of the actual intake, the line that connects from the engine head looks waaay too far down....

i have the same problem with my matrix sri. im going to buy a k&n vent filter for the head pipe and im capping off the inlet on the intake tube. looks like you'd have to do the same with that one...

this one looks better: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I wish there were cheap ebay short ram intakes available without a filter so I could use a K&N. Either way, I agree with Chino. Speaking of; what happened to his intake?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #15
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I believe that you always pay less for the oats after they've been through the horse once. Same thing with auto parts, there is seldom such a thing as a bargain...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
fat like reflexes

Drives: 07 manual liftback
ron paul in '08
fat like reflexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
IanCFitz
Hells Yeah!

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via AIM to IanCFitz
I guess my first post in this thread didn't matter...

I'm telling you both of those CAI are AEM knockoffs, anyone who has one could see that.

The first one that Nutzoids posted (polished one) has the filter on the WRONG END. all the mounting tabs and the breather tube are in the exact spots the AEM's are.

The one thebarber posted is EXACTLY the same only black. But, the filter is pictured on the correct end.

The filters are even the same, I would be willing to bet they're those cheap-ass Bomz Racing filters that they sell with every other cheap-ass made in china knock-off ebay intake.

So sure you can buy an ebay intake for $89 + $25 shipping but you're gonna have to go buy a 50-60 dollar K&N filter to replace the cheap POS filter you get with them.

So bottom line you're looking at 164 - 174 dollars for an ebay intake with zero warranty and a crap filter you're gonna have to replace. Or pay 224 or whatever special wesellcarparts is running for the genuine AEM and have a lifetime warranty.

I chose the AEM, supported a sponsor, and couldn't be happier with the setup.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #18
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
dont forget that the silicone connectors that come with the ebay intakes arent great either, hahaha

i still used it on my matrix when i had it and never had a problem.

i really cant see how you would ever use a lifetime warranty on an aluminum intake though.....its just a metal pipe......

as for aem....i dont like the dry filters, so id get a k&n oiled fitler anyways....they work out cheaper in the end becuase you can use the cleaning kit about 10x before you have to get a new one.....

id still get the cheapy ebay intake and buy a k&n or 2. for the same price as an AEM intake you can have the same thing with 2 filters for easy swapping/cleaning.....

but, fwiw, the sri i got for my matrix was 10 bucks US with about 30 shipping to canada......so i spent about 50CAD shipped at the time and already had a spare k&n filter.....so it cost me half the price

id still rock the ebay fitler. brand name intake are over-rated.