Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
ZPI or NST crank pully?

Which is better? The manufacturers should post the weights of each. I think the NST looks better, not that looks matter.

Prices are: ZPI $105, NST $110, both include shipping.

Which will you choose and why?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Drives: Scions
NST for various reasons. Their products are proven reliable. We use them on our shop cars and they use them on their cars. Furthermore, they are going to be used on a professional road race Scion tC that both us and them are involved in. Need I say more?
W: www.dezod.com

Your leading source for all of your performance needs! From turbos and components, to brakes and suspension, Dezod has you covered.
Dezod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
From a certain perspective, "because we're in bed with them" isn't actually a convincing argument... I'm not saying that their's may not be the superior product, only that yes, you may need to say more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezod View Post
NST for various reasons. Their products are proven reliable. We use them on our shop cars and they use them on their cars. Furthermore, they are going to be used on a professional road race Scion tC that both us and them are involved in. Need I say more?
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I was wondering when this question would pop up.

ZPI, NST, Unorthodox... all three companies make pulley kits. I'm not necessarily saying Unorthadox makes a Yaris pulley yet, but in general when pulleys are discussed these are the three companies that come up.

The difference is that NST's focus is on pulleys. They don't dabble in much else because they don't feel they have to. It goes along with the old saying, "stick to what you know." NST knows pulleys. This is why when Toyota was ready to donate a race car, they signed NST on to make the pulleys for their Scion. TOYOTA did.

One of the coolest things about NST is the company's connection with their consumers. If you have AIM, you can add NST to your list (NSTonAIM) and ask the president of the company anything about their products or cars in general. Trust me... I've spent countless hours over the past month or two talking to Mike about his products, his company, and the tuner scene in general, and I've learned a ton. He has a lot of great stories, pictures, links, and other things to share with anyone interested in NST products.

I am not going to say anything negative about any vendor on this site. All I will say is I encourage anyone to go to scionlife's forums and search for ZPI and NST and read what others have said about each. I did.

Also, when NST comes on to support any community, they grow along with it. The Scion tC community was a good supporter of NST, and when TRD decided to release a supercharger kit for the tC guess who eagerly started making kits to raise PSI numbers on their TRD s/c kits? I don't zealously support any vendor that comes on this site unless there is some kind of reciprocal advantage in doing so, and I'm telling you flat out... I want NST around down the road as a supporter of this community in case their services can benefit us again.

Our support of their CR-Lite pulleys has already paid off... if you go to the link below, you'll see that they're already planning to make two more lightened pulleys for the Yaris. The date is TBA, but from what I hear you can expect them sometime in the summer.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToyYaris.htm
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
A pulley is pretty simple. You will not see a difference in performance in either piece. A $5 dollar increase is fine for NST piece considering it is anodized. If you dont care about color, Get the cheaper one and save $5 dollars.

If I didnt already have the money down for the NST I would buy the ZPI. Plus it is available today.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I have spent a lot of time talking to the guys over at ZPI in the past few weeks… And I like what they have to say, and I like how straight forward they are… In short… I trust them… I don’t know much about NST, but it’s only a $5 difference… Maybe if NST and ZPI can post the weight of there Pulleys that might help the decision making process!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
If I remember correctly, the ZPI actually mentions their weight (1lb I think), but I might have misread...
In any case, I'm not in the market for pulleys... yet :P
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
ZPI, NST, Unorthodox... all three companies make pulley kits. I'm not necessarily saying Unorthadox makes a Yaris pulley yet, but in general when pulleys are discussed these are the three companies that come up.
I can always visit the guys down at Unorthodox Racing if you want (have couple friends that work there). As long as there's enough market for it, they'll make it. They're only 20 minutes from me.

Get a list going and I can see whats good.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
nester
I made a post!

Drives: 2006 Scion tC-t
Send a message via AIM to nester
We measured it on our shipping scale.. it tips in at 0.9 lbs.

I think this weekend I will take it to the grocery store and ask the butcher to weigh it on his "legal for trade' scale for a accurate measurement. I'll make sure he wears his gloves. :D
nester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #10
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Oh yes the inevitable this vs that thread. I don't plan on doing any mud slinging or fanning, but much like chino I did some searching of my own. I started by asking Mike from NST (NSTonAIM)some questions. He answered all of my questions and invited me to search about NST on the internet to see what others say about him.

Both NST and ZPI have a large presence over on www.ScionLife.com. I did lots of searches and read through a lot of different threads. Everything is there, people talking about customer service, quality, price, everything. I could not find anything negative about NST. All those threads and not one bad thing said about the company, the product, or the people! I never thought I would find a company in this industry with 100% positivie feedback, but NST has such a reputation!

I also noticed that NST has more to offer the Scion community than all of their competition combined! Mike says they will have a lot of cool stuff in the works and will be happy to support the Yaris crowd in much the same way that he does the Scion crowd.

My vote goes to NST. I have seen nothing to sway me toward the competition
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
In my opinion, a Pulley is no Rocket Science (correct me if I'm wrong)... so at the end everything comes down to the service an support that the vendor offers and I think NST is LITTLE bit ahead on that department. I'm on the NST GB and they have promptly answered any question/requests that I have made.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of the two options (NST / ZPI).

Just don't go out and pay triple for one of those fancy JDM pulleys.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
From a certain perspective, "because we're in bed with them" isn't actually a convincing argument... I'm not saying that their's may not be the superior product, only that yes, you may need to say more.
We are not 'in bed with them'. We have no ownership, legal ties or anything with them. We are a reseller of their products like we are of GReddy, HKS, AEM etc. Do we say that GREDDY, HKS OR AEM products are the best? No, I often bash 2 out of the 3 companies I just listed due to quality, craftsmanship or performance. We only sell and promote what we have tried, tested and beat the crap out of and it holds up 1000% to the abuse as advertised. NST's stuff has and it has withstood the test of time is what I am saying.

On a side note: You continue to blow everything I post out of context. Am I writing that off the wall? It seems it is only you that is misconstruing my posts.

Your leading source for all of your performance needs! From turbos and components, to brakes and suspension, Dezod has you covered.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I was wondering when this question would pop up.
I've spent countless hours over the past month or two talking to Mike about his products, his company, and the tuner scene in general, and I've learned a ton.
Chino would you share a bit of that TON of knowledge...?

I don't know if this has been answered here before... but do you happen to know why NSt didn't underdrive their yaris pulley? Their Scion pulleys are underdrived. Just wanted to know if there's a reason for this.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
ZPIracing

I can not speak for NST so I will not. I can assure you the ZPI product is of the best quality you will find anywhere. We have had some negative publicity around are company 99% of it stems from shipping issues. Our products have simply been more popular that our ability to make them. We have sold and delivered over a 1000 tC pulleys with no issue.

ZPIracing has eliminated past shipping issues by stocking up on item prior to their release. We do not do a preorder of any sort. We only take your money when we can ship your merchandise. This has virtually eliminated any and all issues with shipping, that is not to say we are perfect but we try to get as close as we can.

The ZPI Yaris pulley is a great mod; with as many as we have already sold this week it seems the market is welcoming us with open arms. We may even have to run an even better special to show we are serious about some Yaris performance!!
ZPIracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #15
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
I can't recall ever having responded to you before. Maybe I have; I pay more attention to what's being said than who is saying it (with some exceptions, as some people have proven themselves especially stupid, so I disregard their posts entirely). But you don't ring any bells. Sorry if you think I'm following you around; I'm not.

I'll probably remember you NOW, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezod View Post
On a side note: You continue to blow everything I post out of context. Am I writing that off the wall? It seems it is only you that is misconstruing my posts.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
I can't recall ever having responded to you before. Maybe I have; I pay more attention to what's being said than who is saying it (with some exceptions, as some people have proven themselves especially stupid, so I disregard their posts entirely). But you don't ring any bells. Sorry if you think I'm following you around; I'm not.

I'll probably remember you NOW, though.

Maybe I am mistaken of the screen name. Any way, sorry and hi!!! :c

Old 02-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Okay, some of you still aren't convinced. Here is a couple more reasons.

First of all, weights...
ZPI pulley - 14.4 oz
NST pulley - 12.5 oz

Second of all, has anyone noticed that ZPI's pulleys don't come anodized? Hard anodizing does more than just make your pulley look pretty. It actually makes the pulley stronger. Aluminum is a rather soft metal by design, but hard anodized aluminum is stronger and will resist the sands of time better than untreated aluminum. ZPI will charge you 20 bucks extra to anodize your pulley. NST includes anodizing at no extra charge. They don't cut corners.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #18
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
ChinoCharles would you share a bit of that TON of knowledge...?

I don't know if this has been answered here before... but do you happen to know why NSt didn't underdrive their yaris pulley? Their Scion pulleys are underdrived. Just wanted to know if there's a reason for this.
???