Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
ZPI Pulley worth it?

I'm thinking about buy a ZPI pulley for my car, the only reason i want to buy it because someone is giving me a very good deal. But i heard alot of you guys said it's bad, got alot problems...
So in your opinions should i get it? or get a C One Pulley instead?
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
NST09158RBG.jpg

NST FTW!!!

ZPI's customer service is garbage and C-ONE anything is going to cost twice as much as anything made here in the USA. Get a hold of Mike on Aim and tell him that you're thinking about going with Zero Poop Industries. Tell him I sent you. ROFL! His screen name is NSTonAIM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
[QUOTE=ChinoCharles;70904]Attachment 4237

NST FTW!!!

QUOTE]

You gotta calm down Chino.

Here's what ZPI says about their pulley's, if you trust them.

The ZPIracing crank pulley has been a very popular modification for the Scion community. We have been unhappy with the current manufacturing of our pulley with the quality control being loose and the ribs being over, up to .030. We thought it was time for a change. We took our pulley and sketch to an aerospace engineering and manufacturing firm that we do work with. They took our drawings and prototype designs and perfected it. The end result is a pulley that is stronger, 20% lighter and built to Aerospace quality standards. These pulleys are 100% defect free and you can rest assured that the amount of engineering that went in to these little pulleys will not damage a belt, bearing, crank etc…

The new pulleys are 100% symmetrically balanced and will not create any noise on the vehicle which is typical of the lightweight pulleys.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Do you trust ZPI?

Has ZPI given us any reason to trust them?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
I'm thinking about buy a ZPI pulley for my car, the only reason i want to buy it because someone is giving me a very good deal. But i heard alot of you guys said it's bad, got alot problems...
So in your opinions should i get it? or get a C One Pulley instead?
I went to a great deal of trouble to writing this response, so pay attention!

The logical thing would be for you to consider a few things to help you make your decision. It would be nice if we had a three way comparison of the three pulleys currently available but we do not, so we'll have to look at the data we do have.

The C-One piece is Japanese and it twice the price of the American stuff, so based on that one thing alone you will probably stay away from it. Unless you are super balla!

That leaves us with NST and ZPI offerings.

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...roducts_id=319

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToyYaris.htm

What are the prices of these pieces?
ZPI $139.95 NST $118

What do each of these pieces weigh?
ZPI 14oz NST 13oz

Are both pieces hard anodized for better long term durability?
ZPI no NST yes

What colors are offered?
ZPI silver NST red blue gray

Does the company have a good track record recently for great service?
ZPI seems like no NST seems like yes

You can also search around a bit to find more information on each piece and each company. Then ask yourself what kind of products you want on your car.
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
absenter

Drives: Black '07 Liftback
I'm getting the NST. In my opinion, just from this thread alone, if you haven't read anything else on this product. The NST is the obvious choice. But I have read more than just this thread on the subject matter. In my opinion the NST is probably the most praised, cheapest(price wise), efficiante aftermarket performance edition to the Yaris. NST FTW! <-(that was for Chino)
Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
I'm thinking of getting one too...heh heh..NST...
Sorry to hijack...but Chino...any way to get discount on the NST still?? The GB is over...awhile ago...but at that time i thought these pulleys were only for Manual Trans...hahaha..i have an auto..and then last week i was like hey i got that too!! (Sorry..car N00B!) Thanks.
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Love how this tread got jacked right away with NST, but it is the superior product.
I am wondering what those of you are going to do that did install the ZPI pulley are going to do when that thing oxidizes and falls apart because it is not anodized?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #9
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Love how this tread got jacked right away with NST, but it is the superior product.
I am wondering what those of you are going to do that did install the ZPI pulley are going to do when that thing oxidizes and falls apart because it is not anodized?
You know that saying, "theres no such thing as a dumd question"? Black Yaris just disproved it! Following that train of thought, Why aren't your brake calipers falling apart?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I've never known aluminum to oxidize in the first place...?

~YR
Old 04-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
You know that saying, "theres no such thing as a dumd question"? Black Yaris just disproved it! Following that train of thought, Why aren't your brake calipers falling apart?

Talk to any pulley expert, whether from Unorthodox, AEM, C-One, or any other big brand and ask them why they anodize their pulleys. Better yet you can ask Mike at NST, his screen name is NSTonAIM. The experts will tell you that hard anodizing is there for a reason. It costs more to build a pulley and hard anodize it, the end result is a stronger pulley that doesn't get all scratched up and also grips the belts better. Meanwhile ZPI wants to charge you more for a bare aluminum pulley

NST has a track record around here for offering the best pulleys at the lowest prices. ZPI has a track record of offering a more expensive pulley, lower quality, and a record of bad service with their other products. They also have a track record of having bad service on other forums if you do some searching.

Based on all the facts that are clear as day do you expect this thread to turn into a NST love fest or a ZPI one?
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisGuy View Post
Talk to any pulley expert, whether from Unorthodox, AEM, C-One, or any other big brand and ask them why they anodize their pulleys. Better yet you can ask Mike at NST, his screen name is NSTonAIM. The experts will tell you that hard anodizing is there for a reason. It costs more to build a pulley and hard anodize it, the end result is a stronger pulley that doesn't get all scratched up and also grips the belts better. Meanwhile ZPI wants to charge you more for a bare aluminum pulley

NST has a track record around here for offering the best pulleys at the lowest prices. ZPI has a track record of offering a more expensive pulley, lower quality, and a record of bad service with their other products. They also have a track record of having bad service on other forums if you do some searching.

Based on all the facts that are clear as day do you expect this thread to turn into a NST love fest or a ZPI one?
I'm not argueing brands. I'm saying it's rediculous to think a pulley, or anything made from machined aluminum, will fall apart because it's not anodized. Yes, anodzing prevents aluminum from getting scratched because it creats a hard outer surface, but it does not creat a structurally stronger pulley. It's purely a surface treatment. Also, taking information as fact from someone supporting their own product is not objective. Yes, NST makes a better pulley, but Black Yaris's statement was "dumb".