Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Question Considering rear swaybar-am I thinking correctly?

Thought I might ask the remarkably helpful members of Yaris World to confirm (or not) my thoughts on the future purchase of a rear swaybar. I've done a good bit of reading here, including Loren's informative post regarding his UR 23 mm bar install.

As far as background I have an 09 Yaris 5dr LB with bone stock suspension. I still have the OEM rubber running max recommended pressure (44 psi). I'm a hypermiler so typically my driving would be considered "old lady-ish" by many. However, I do frequently roll hard through corners under slight throttle to preserve momentum and find myself "involuntarily" leaning into the turns. I also want to increase stability of the vehicle at highway speeds and in the wind. I otherwise do no aggressive driving or racing so from the reading I've done the 19mm bar from TRD or UR seem like the best "fit" for my needs. What do you guys think? Is the 19mm rear swaybar a realistic (and cost effective!) source of improvement considering my list of wants?

Also I should add I have the Toyota Platinum extended warranty-is the addition of a non TRD part going to cause headaches? I realize the bar us "minimally invasive" to the stock suspension, but you know how some dealerships can be!

Thanks in advance!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
TRD bar was my first mod and works very well. I see no need to do any kind of extended warranty period for this or any other type mod. I wouldn't even do a dealer or shop install...to easy to do yourself. There is plenty of info here in regards to the mod and the install. Good luck
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
YellowJolt

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr LB
Send a message via AIM to YellowJolt
Read my thread on the exact same topic: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19923

I have a 3 door LB with the 15" alloys and retain a completely stock suspension. I think the 19mm bar is the unit for you, I am rather happy with it myself. A completely worthwhile endeavor. I also want to increase my tire pressure (both for mileage and handling), btw.
YellowJolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Klink10,

Thanks for the response.
I will definitely be doing the install myself either way, I was just wondering about the swaybar affecting any future suspension claims under the warranty I already have.

YellowJolt,

Thanks for the feedback-glad your happy with your purchase.

I increased my tire pressure gradually up to 44 psi for fuel economy reasons and must say the handling is improved. The ride is obviously stiffer, but not unpleasantly so. Increased tire noise is the other immediate side effect, but it's not bad either. The OEM tires are not well liked here, but so far are meeting my needs at this pressure. I won't be exceeding the max sidewall pressure though.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
You might want to pair the sway bar with a set of rear 13mm hub spacers from peguin garage.

Those will add over an inch of track to your car. Along with the rear sway bar should help making the car more stable at highway speeds...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
YellowJolt

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr LB
Send a message via AIM to YellowJolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Klink10,

Thanks for the response.
I will definitely be doing the install myself either way, I was just wondering about the swaybar affecting any future suspension claims under the warranty I already have.

YellowJolt,

Thanks for the feedback-glad your happy with your purchase.

I increased my tire pressure gradually up to 44 psi for fuel economy reasons and must say the handling is improved. The ride is obviously stiffer, but not unpleasantly so. Increased tire noise is the other immediate side effect, but it's not bad either. The OEM tires are not well liked here, but so far are meeting my needs at this pressure. I won't be exceeding the max sidewall pressure though.

R2
Well, you are definitely safe with the TRD bar. From what I understand, TRD parts allow you to retain your factory warranty. But there isn't really any actual "harm" an aftermarket bar will do to your car's suspension. It isn't like you are drifting or autocrossing with your Yaris, right?

Have you had any issues with your TPM sensors with the increased pressure (44psi)? I inflated the tires on my Taco X-Runner equally to 40psi and never got a light. I believe the recommended pressure was 35psi. In any event, I actually would prefer a bit stiffer ride, anyway, so I may also do the 44psi thing.
YellowJolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

YellowJolt,

No problem with the TPMS and the higher pressure.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
You might want to pair the sway bar with a set of rear 13mm hub spacers from peguin garage.

Those will add over an inch of track to your car. Along with the rear sway bar should help making the car more stable at highway speeds...
Agreed. I have both the TRD sway and the 10mm Penguin spacers running 205's. Took a trip cross country on I70 and the wind/stability of the car was not an issue at all. None of that squirrely-ness others talk about at hghway speeds.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Castrex and Altitude,

Thanks for mentioning the hub spacers-I hadn't thought of those. Was going to ask how much they were, but then saw the link above-thanks.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 07-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
or you could get both from micro image and save $$$ .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
TRD anti-swaybar was my first, and most effective stability/handling modification.
Great value for the dollar and no regrets. Garm also has a similar but less expensive offering.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
I noticed the stock yaris suspension tended to cause the car to hobby horse too much. I installed tanabe df210 springs and TRD rear sway bar. This stopped the problem and now the car handles much better on the highways, as well as around corners. As far as fuel efficiency goes, intake/header/exhaust/NST pulley kit have given me noticeable MPG gains. I drive my car like I stole it though and am not sure if fuel effficiency gains would be noticeable to hypermillers with the same mods.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Thank you all for the feedback-sounds like the way to go to get what I need. Much appreciated!

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
If you are concerned about the warranty, you could have the dealer install the sway bar. then it will be under warranty too.

Last edited by Bob Dog; 07-20-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

I think I'm going to order the UR 19mm from Micro Image and install it myself. If I had a suspension warranty issue (probably never will) I think the dealer would have a hard time declining the claim because of the sway bar-especially when Toyota also offers one of the same size. From what I hear the salesperson I purchased from will fight for his customers if they run into service issues.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
if you are worried about warranty then I know we sell the TRD rear sway bar with a 1 year parts warranty. If the dealer installs it then it's covered under parts and labor warranty!

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #17
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
That means it is covered for as long as the warranty on the vehicle lasts.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
It's not a part of your vehicles warranty it is seperate. TRD parts have their own warranty attached to them from the date you buy for 1 year.

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote