Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Aftermarket Steering Wheel Controls

I now have all the bits and pieces for my audio upgrade (7" android 6.0 factory fit touchscreen, 4-channel amp, 4 6.5" speakers, tweeters, underseat subwoofer, wiring kits etc) for my 06 RS and I would like to have steering wheel controls for bluetooth, audio controls etc.

I've looked at a couple of the Ebay wireless controls which come with two circular button pads that are attached to the steering wheel. Normally these would go on the front of the steering wheel, but I think they would look a bit cheesy in that position, so I thought about mounting them on the backside of the wheel and operate them by feel.

Has anyone installed anything similar and if so, what has been your experience with them?

Ideally, I'd like factory buttons but from my search, it seems like a very difficult and probably expensive proposition.

Here is the one I am looking at from eBay. It has raised buttons, so it might be easier to feel them from behind the wheel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-I...19.m1438.l2649

Judging by the diameter of 36mm, I think they would completely attach to the rear portion of the steering wheel which has a relatively flat surface.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-12-2018 at 06:17 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Not familiar with 2nd gens so much, but just to throw ideas out - which maybe you've already thought of...

Do you know if the wiring harness for your RS has the connections available (just unused)? Assuming steering wheel controls were available in one of the models in 2006.. If so, you could find a oem steering wheel at a wrecker and swap. If not, what about swapping to a later model steering column from a wrecker making sure you grab the wire harness bits; grab as much as possible, wire the rest to the new unit?

Anything that sticks out off the wheel seems like a PITA waiting to happen, but also understand there's a cost and effort benefit ratio of aftermarket vs. parts hunting, dash teardown, and wiring to get oem feel. lol

Good luck with whichever path you take; keep us posted.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Not familiar with 2nd gens so much, but just to throw ideas out - which maybe you've already thought of...

Do you know if the wiring harness for your RS has the connections available (just unused)? Assuming steering wheel controls were available in one of the models in 2006.. If so, you could find a oem steering wheel at a wrecker and swap. If not, what about swapping to a later model steering column from a wrecker making sure you grab the wire harness bits; grab as much as possible, wire the rest to the new unit?

Anything that sticks out off the wheel seems like a PITA waiting to happen, but also understand there's a cost and effort benefit ratio of aftermarket vs. parts hunting, dash teardown, and wiring to get oem feel. lol

Good luck with whichever path you take; keep us posted.

-- Adam
Yes, I did think about a wheel swap but currently have no idea if the wiring is present. I skimmed a CTScott post and if I recall correctly, wiring can be added. Just not sure I want to tackle a job of such magnitude given that I'm already facing a large audio system install in the spring along with a dash pad replacement. I agree that things being stuck to the wheel could get in the way. That said, I was in a car recently - don't recall the model - and it had buttons on the back of the wheel. They were easy to operate and fairly intuitive.

Thanks!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Understand it can make a big job that much bigger - but then if you're in to your waist, why not go to the neck? lol

Never even thought of the backside of the steering wheel, that might be a clever solution, for sure. Curious to see what you find!

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Understand it can make a big job that much bigger - but then if you're in to your waist, why not go to the neck? lol

Never even thought of the backside of the steering wheel, that might be a clever solution, for sure. Curious to see what you find!

-- Adam
I will definitely consider doing the steering wheel swap. At least I'll do some more investigating. I did install a cruise control that I got from CTScott and it wasn't too bad of a job at all.

Yeah, I'm trying to recall which vehicle it was that has the SWC on the back of the wheel. We have so many cars going in and out of our school shop every day. I was impressed by how well they worked, so that approach is definitely still on the table.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 AM   #6
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I was in a car recently - don't recall the model - and it had buttons on the back of the wheel. They were easy to operate and fairly intuitive.
Most probably a Citroën or a Peugeot. That little stalk behind the wheel also includes the cruise control!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:00 AM   #7
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaflam View Post
Most probably a Citroën or a Peugeot. That little stalk behind the wheel also includes the cruise control!
We don't have those here. But I know dodge caravans have the buttons on the back, so probably dodge or FCA models.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 AM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
We don't have those here. But I know dodge caravans have the buttons on the back, so probably dodge or FCA models.
That's it! I'm pretty sure it was the 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan we had when our Sedona was in the collision shop.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:47 AM   #9
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
I thought you had French cars in Canada! LOL!