Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
RicStyx

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3 -3rd Gen
Engine tuning

I recently enquired with a reputable engine management tuning company as to see if there is anything they can do. They have a software which is dyno tested before and afterwards for proof on the yaris and is very moderate in terms of power gains.

I have heard our yaris ecu's don't like to be tuned and can cause issues. Has anyone else had a problem with any tuning of there systems?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
RicStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicStyx View Post
I recently enquired with a reputable engine management tuning company as to see if there is anything they can do. They have a software which is dyno tested before and afterwards for proof on the yaris and is very moderate in terms of power gains.

I have heard our yaris ecu's don't like to be tuned and can cause issues. Has anyone else had a problem with any tuning of there systems?

uh whats the name of the tuning company and where are they based out of.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The general consensus seems to be that using a piggyback or replacing the ECU is the way to go.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
RicStyx

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3 -3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
uh whats the name of the tuning company and where are they based out of.
There based here in South Africa. Called ATM tuning

RicStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
The general consensus seems to be that using a piggyback or replacing the ECU is the way to go.
this /thread
Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Even then piggybacks have been reported to essentially lose their tune as the stock ecu sometimes "relearns" itself. This has been well documented on corolla forums. The first gen Yaris' (echo's) don't have an afr sensor and piggybacks work fine on those which makes going turbo much easier from what I have read and discussed with people

If your country allows standalone ecu's and it keeps it road legal then go with a standalone ecu that your local and trusted tuner if familiar with. This will make it much easier to tune the engine the way you want
Old 07-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Even then piggybacks have been reported to essentially lose their tune as the stock ecu sometimes "relearns" itself. This has been well documented on corolla forums. The first gen Yaris' (echo's) don't have an afr sensor and piggybacks work fine on those which makes going turbo much easier from what I have read and discussed with people

If your country allows standalone ecu's and it keeps it road legal then go with a standalone ecu that your local and trusted tuner if familiar with. This will make it much easier to tune the engine the way you want
put a 3rd gen yaris body over a 1994 corolla chassis call it custom body work done.