Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2015, 02:33 AM   #1
lords007
David

Drives: Toyota Vitz
PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

I purchased a second hand Toyota Vitz 2011 (KSP-1KR) and it was in good condition just 30000 KM driven. This is for the first time i purchased a vitz.

Problems are;

1. Knlocking sound coming from engine when i press the accleration padle.

2. Now its almost 40000 KM driven but car start consuming engine. I am using Toyota Patron A+ engine oil. i dont remember the oil which was used before. but now after three oil change still engine is consuming oil, i got to toyota but they say that its normal, each and every thing is f9. Rest vehicle is good. first oil change was made at 1000 KM, 2nd was on 3000 and the third is also on 3000, although the mechanics were saying that this oil has a running of 6000 KM.

3. i also change the tyres and used slightly bigger i.e. 185/65/R15.

4. more over can i use high octane in it.

As i m new here need guidence and positive comments. and recommendations.

Regards,

DAVID

Last edited by lords007; 07-02-2015 at 02:39 AM. Reason: some
lords007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
According Toyota it's OK for the engine to burn up to one litter of oil per 2000km which I find stupid can't see why ur car is doing this u have bad piston rings and it should be fixed under warranty.
As for gas... Stay with regular it's pointless using high octane fuel in an engine ment for 87 octane.

Sent from my SM-N910W8
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
My 07 Yaris has 175,000 miles on it, and it doesn't burn any oil. I think you have some internal engine problems.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #4
lords007
David

Drives: Toyota Vitz
Thank you for your valueable comments, but please note that the technician in Toyota unable to tell what is happening because engine compression test is ok and all other tests are. yesterday i had changed the oil after almost 4000 KM and 1.15 litre oil was consumed by the engine, kindly advice.
lords007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #5
Freestylin

Drives: 09 Blizzard Pearl RS LB
I know this may sound obvious, but have you checked underneath the vehicle for any oil leaks? Such as around the oil pan area?
“On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.” ― Ayrton Senna
Freestylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
According Toyota it's OK for the engine to burn up to one litter of oil per 2000km which I find stupid can't see why ur car is doing this u have bad piston rings and it should be fixed under warranty.
As for gas... Stay with regular it's pointless using high octane fuel in an engine ment for 87 octane.

Sent from my SM-N910W8
I don't know if I'd say pointless. I run 91 because it's going to burn cleaner and give me a little more oomf.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I don't know if I'd say pointless. I run 91 because it's going to burn cleaner and give me a little more oomf.
Lol... Do u have any idea how octane works at all ur engine optimization is for regular period it has nothing to do with burning cleaner and definitely don't give u oomf lol its all in ur head.

Unfortunately, this is where the myth of what gasoline’s octane rating really means creeps into the picture. Time and again, people will be told that high octane fuel burns cleaner or more completely, and that it will give them extra power and better fuel mileage than Regular octane gasoline because it contains more ‘energy.’ These blanket statements are simply not true. In fact, the octane rating for gasoline has nothing to do with the amount of power locked inside of it – it actually relates to just how much a fuel can be compressed before igniting. The higher the number, the less likely it is to ignite under pressure.

most engines, knock is rarely an issue because the compression ratio – that is, the pressure that the air/fuel mixture is put under in the cylinder – is low enough that Regular gasoline’s octane rating is sufficient. There is absolutely no benefit to running Premium fuel in a standard motor, since it will never be able to take advantage of that gasoline’s higher knock resistance. However, more aggressive engine management schemes, especially those found in turbocharged or supercharged vehicles, can turn up the compression to a high level, requiring much higher octane gasoline to avoid knock.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Lol... Do u have any idea how octane works at all ur engine optimization is for regular period it has nothing to do with burning cleaner and definitely don't give u oomf lol its all in ur head.

Unfortunately, this is where the myth of what gasoline’s octane rating really means creeps into the picture. Time and again, people will be told that high octane fuel burns cleaner or more completely, and that it will give them extra power and better fuel mileage than Regular octane gasoline because it contains more ‘energy.’ These blanket statements are simply not true. In fact, the octane rating for gasoline has nothing to do with the amount of power locked inside of it – it actually relates to just how much a fuel can be compressed before igniting. The higher the number, the less likely it is to ignite under pressure.

most engines, knock is rarely an issue because the compression ratio – that is, the pressure that the air/fuel mixture is put under in the cylinder – is low enough that Regular gasoline’s octane rating is sufficient. There is absolutely no benefit to running Premium fuel in a standard motor, since it will never be able to take advantage of that gasoline’s higher knock resistance. However, more aggressive engine management schemes, especially those found in turbocharged or supercharged vehicles, can turn up the compression to a high level, requiring much higher octane gasoline to avoid knock.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
2 lol's, we have a winner!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Anything but regular fuel is a waste of money. If compression is ok find where the oil is leaking from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
I also used to think higher octane fuel was pointless, and it is *except* in some places, premium fuel is the only fuel without ethanol.

Ethanol is basically filler, so you will get better performance (though less than you'd expect) on a fuel with no ethanol, which nowadays seems to be 91 octane. :( And by performance, most of what I've experienced is better mpg, not acceleration.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
I also used to think higher octane fuel was pointless, and it is *except* in some places, premium fuel is the only fuel without ethanol.

Ethanol is basically filler, so you will get better performance (though less than you'd expect) on a fuel with no ethanol, which nowadays seems to be 91 octane. :( And by performance, most of what I've experienced is better mpg, not acceleration.
This. Higher octane in a regular engine only has 1 benefit and that is the absence ethanol which yields better fuel efficiency
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
This. Higher octane in a regular engine only has 1 benefit and that is the absence ethanol which yields better fuel efficiency
Interesting.

I've noticed a dip in mpg since switching to Costco gas from Chevron. It's only been a couple tanks, so I'm going to run a few more before deciding to stick with it, or move back to Chevron. No point in paying less per gallon if you just end up buying more of it.

Found this on another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Theoretically, the only advantage you would have is when you rev the engine at very high RPMs, the ECU could apply a higher spark advance and thus make a little more power... But I have not personally seen any evidence for this...
Old 07-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
There are websites on line that list ethanol free Gas, most however are way up north a couple hours from me.

However, I have noticed I tend to get the best Mpg from Shell so I stick w/ that when I can
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
mf4361

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Consuming 1L of oil in a 4000km oil change cycle doesn't sound normal at all. My 2007 Yaris (1NZ-FE) 160000km consumes almost zero oil in 10000km Synth oil change cycle.

And as mentioned, high octane fuel won't get you more power or better fuel efficiency in regular passenger cars in normal road driving. They are for high performance sports cars that has a much high compression ratio, or someone who modify their engine for more compression.

It's those marketing people at Shell and Esso makes you think it is "better" for everyone.

There's a CBC Marketplace episode that busted this urban myth.
mf4361 is offline   Reply With Quote