Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
LED bulb and HID advice

Hi all. I'm new here, I'm glad I found a site like this. The DIY stuff is really helpful.

I have a 2008 Vios (Thats Yaris Sedan for most of you). I am considering getting some LED bulbs and HID for the head lamps but I am worried about a few things:

1. LED bulbs - For stuff like the rear tail lights and turn signal lights are they every bright enough ? Especially in the day ? Safety is most important to me and the lens on these cars were never designed for LED. There are so many types out there whats best ? I am looking at the spider LED lights for the tail.
I presume I will need load resistor for the turns too ?

2. HID. As the head light lens use H4 bulb which has both hi/lo beam in it. I will have to get those HID kits that have a solenoid that moves the bulb to control hi/lo. HID takes time to warm up, how will it work for just flashing the high beam in the day time ?

Regards.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
1.) I have LED bulbs in my tails, and the reverse light is SUPER bright. I'd say, all in all, they'll be brighter than you're used to. You will, indeed, need load resistors for the signals, however, they just blink fast if you don't do it, won't cause an issue (1 year running like that for me).

2.) There's no "charging" to switch to the high beam. From what I understand, the bulb itself just moves in the housing, causing more light to be dispense from the bulb to be reflected/directed.

e-mail sales@microimageonline.com, the guys there can explain it better. Jeff is EXTREMELY knowledgeable, and explained it to me very clearly so I could understand it. You can order HID/Projector kits from microimageonline.com as well, though international shipping does take a bit and isn't free. You can't beat the customer service there though!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
I understand when the headlight is already on, switching from lo to hi bean just moves the bulb, but my question is what happens when the lo beam is off to begin with you know in the daytime when you just flash the hi beam to signal a driver for example ?

THanks.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Rammy

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I have LEDs for my reverse lights and they are really bright. I have 30% tint on the front and parking at night is easy even with the windows up. I also have LEDs on the plates and they are really nice. I'll be uploading pictures onto my profile soon if you want to see them. But for the time being I can tell you that these two lights look great.

I have HIDs on mine as well and mine don't need to warm up. I just turn them on and they are just as bright as they are 15 minutes later. Whenever I turn my high beams on the light goes from white to yellow but my regular beams are way brighter than the highs. I have not found any lights that stay white upon switching to high beams and I have had 3 different brands. When the lights are off and you flash your highs the highs will still be yellow and easy to tell that you are flashing them. Well this is how mine work so far. I will be switching the turn lights soon but I haven't yet.
If you want greater visibility I really recommend you get HID fog lights as they help a lot. Trust me.
Rammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
if your headlight is using a H4 bi xenon hid..as you say. one bulb for high and low.. there will be no dull moment between hi and low beam. I've got some of the cheapo 55w hids and its around about 2maybe 4 seconds untill its close to full strength brightness

indicator Leds... yes get a resistor, unless the bulb has the resister built into it. might cost like another 50cent on ebay if u shop around :)

Leds are generally brighter than halogen bulbs, but don't get cheap cheap bulbs, try for Leds that are 1w or higher.. IMO... i don't know what wattage the HB brake light leds are but they are annoying enough to look at when following another yaris

i've got 7w leds in the park lights at the front and i swear they are brighter/more painful to look at than the standard halogen :) but they work well with 6000k hids

hid fogs. great!

IMO, 35w hids.. won't glare/harss people

50/55w hids will only annoy people who don't clean their windows.

75w/100w hid... mmmmmmmm one day, but might be bit to bright for main beams

oh ohh if ur only flashing people from nothing to high beam.. naaa Hids, not that great at all. imo. :(
altho good time to install some random lights into ur grill or somewhere
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
I understand when the headlight is already on, switching from lo to hi bean just moves the bulb, but my question is what happens when the lo beam is off to begin with you know in the daytime when you just flash the hi beam to signal a driver for example ?

THanks.
It won't work very well, in that instance. I ended up wiring my fogs to the parking lights, so if I need to flash somebody, they get halos and fogs. Still gets the point across.

But you are correct, flash-to-pass is pretty much a no-go with HID single bulbs.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
mohitjames

Drives: Swift
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
Hi all. I'm new here, I'm glad I found a site like this. The DIY stuff is really helpful.

I have a 2008 Vios (Thats Yaris Sedan for most of you). I am considering getting some Peimar led and HID for the head lamps but I am worried about a few things:

1. LED bulbs - For stuff like the rear tail lights and turn signal lights are they every bright enough ? Especially in the day ? Safety is most important to me and the lens on these cars were never designed for LED. There are so many types out there whats best ? I am looking at the spider LED lights for the tail.
I presume I will need load resistor for the turns too ?

2. HID. As the head light lens use H4 bulb which has both hi/lo beam in it. I will have to get those HID kits that have a solenoid that moves the bulb to control hi/lo. HID takes time to warm up, how will it work for just flashing the high beam in the day time ?

Regards.
I will go with LED bulb as they save power and are very bright in nature

Last edited by mohitjames; 11-28-2012 at 01:14 AM.
mohitjames is offline   Reply With Quote