Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Electric power steering

Yaris 1 litre 2005 model with electric power steering. Had a small problem with this the other day, warming it up on the drive in this cold weather and the power steering warning light came on. Handbook states if the engine is raced for longer than 30 seconds the power steering will decrease to prevent overheating, restart the engine and drive. This I did and the light went out and it has been O.K. since. I have owned the car since new and this has never happened before, the engine has been raced for the MOT for instance to ensure that the engine is hot. Does anyone know how this system operates? The motor appears to be under the dash and must engage with the steering column directly or through some form of clutch. Does it reverse rotation for turning left and right? Is it controlled by an ECU or some mechanical means? Does the motor run continuously or only when required for turning? Iwould dearly like to know the answers to these questions for future maintenance. If anyone knows the answers or has any information I would be most grateful. [The Haynes manual only deals with the hydraulic form of power steering]
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Check out the 2007 service manual posted in the DIY section of the forum. The power steering section has all of the details on your questions. The 07 is the 2nd generation, but I would suspect that the electric power steering is quite similar between the 1st and 2nd generation Yaris.

Basically, the electric power steering system consists of a gear motor (attached to the bottom of the column) that is driven in one direction or the other to assist with turning. The power steering ECU monitors the torque sensors on the steering column (and the speed of the vehicle) to determine how much to help and in which direction to drive the motor.
CTScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
power steering

Thankyou very much for your help C.T. Scott. I have looked at the online manual as you suggested and as you said it answers all my questions. I was amazed there are 93 pages in the manual just on the power steering, very thorough! I understand the system now, thankyou once again, and a Happy New Year to you.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Goosecreekjoey

Drives: 2008 yaris
Wonder if the ECM controls to ECU on steering. If the ECM doesn't work I guess the ECU acts up.
Goosecreekjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 AM   #5
lipso
I've made a post!

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris 1.0
I have a 2002 1.0 yaris with electric power steering which is not working correctly. There is power assistance and some of the time you wouldn't notice anything wrong with it but a lot of the time it feels stiff,jerky, having to correct it but theres a feeling of resistance in it. I have had alignment checked and its ok and also the mechanical steering parts, all free and ok, so issue seems to be in the eps.
wondering if a calibration would cure it? or if I replaced the steering column with another would it fix it? Can this be done by swapping column + ps ecu? Does this interfere with the main car ecu? Would anyone have a manual/document for the yaris eps?
lipso is offline   Reply With Quote