Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Is a header a good upgrade?

Thinking about getting either the DC Sports header or Weapon R as my next upgrade. Read conflicting reviews on which is better. The DC gives more gains up top and Weapon R gives better gains lower in the range. The DC used the stock heat shield and the WR does not - not sure how important that is. My car is an automatic, with a Tein Street Advance Z suspension, a K&N drop in and Tanabe Medallion Touring axle back. I know most opinions seem to say that the axle back doesn't give any gains, but after 5 months of use I still feel like my car has more pep than stock. My wife noticed it too and actually commented on it without my prompting, which confirmed my impression.

The header seems like a good next step, but wondering how much actual difference I'll notice. Any input and advice is appreciated.
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
Thinking about getting either the DC Sports header or Weapon R as my next upgrade. Read conflicting reviews on which is better. The DC gives more gains up top and Weapon R gives better gains lower in the range. The DC used the stock heat shield and the WR does not - not sure how important that is. My car is an automatic, with a Tein Street Advance Z suspension, a K&N drop in and Tanabe Medallion Touring axle back. I know most opinions seem to say that the axle back doesn't give any gains, but after 5 months of use I still feel like my car has more pep than stock. My wife noticed it too and actually commented on it without my prompting, which confirmed my impression.

The header seems like a good next step, but wondering how much actual difference I'll notice. Any input and advice is appreciated.
When I did the DC header, I did feel like a butt dyno improvement (even if an actual dyno would only register a couple HP)

My advice = the header is soo inexpensive, and its a relatively easy install to do yourself so why not just do it?
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
When I did the DC header, I did feel like a butt dyno improvement (even if an actual dyno would only register a couple HP)

My advice = the header is soo inexpensive, and its a relatively easy install to do yourself so why not just do it?
Thanks. I agree, its like $240 or so, which is not too bad for a couple of HP IMO and I happen to like and trust the butt dyno (couple of HP on actual dyno equals 3-10 on the butt dyno)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:08 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Neither header uses the heat shield, it is not necessary and can be removed without issue
Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Go DC
Old 01-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
None of the headers I've seen for these motors are great because they all fit the stock dimensions, but I don't think you would see a noticeable difference between any of them including the cheap ones on ebay
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
None of the headers I've seen for these motors are great because they all fit the stock dimensions, but I don't think you would see a noticeable difference between any of them including the cheap ones on ebay
Have you actually used one?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
My exhaust manifold is starting to rust and have a small hole near the flange where it meets the cat.
I'll be seeking replacement very soon.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
True, the headers readily available are not going to produce large gains as you would see in shorty or long tube headers for a v8. The design is similar to oem and it jusrt improves on a few things and therefore changes the power band slightly.

Having run the DC header on my 1nz I can say that there was an improvement more so in the upper ranges of the powerband. It is worthwhile IMO due to the relatively low cost and ease of install, but it is not a large change. For that you would need to run a long tube header (such as that for the 2zr) which involves a much more complicated install ad the midpipe needs to be changed to accomodate this. Currently no company if fabricating a long tube header for the 1nz, although Yawsport out in Cali may potentially be willing to do it with a few changes from their 2zr header they are currently fabricating
Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
suprf1y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
True, the headers readily available are not going to produce large gains as you would see in shorty or long tube headers for a v8. The design is similar to oem and it jusrt improves on a few things and therefore changes the power band slightly.
Definitely.
For sure it's an upgrade, just not a big one due to the packaging constraints.

I'm going to see if I can modify one of the cheapies by cutting off the flange to extending the collector and taper it down from 2 1/4" to 2".
Old 01-09-2019, 01:59 AM   #11
benoityip

Drives: Corolla 1.8
If you have a cat right after the header. It will become a main bottleneck, better to upgrade it at the same time.

Header reduces engine temperature. Please take a look at Mazda skyactive g engine header
benoityip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:20 AM   #12
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
The DC headers are a worthy upgrade. Installed mine last April and I replaced the stock exhaust gasket and manifold gasket while I was at it since I was at 150k. Good midrange to upper gains. Power still falls flat after about 5.5k rpms though. I just have a short ram intake and the exhaust is stock.

When I first installed my short ram intake, it just made a lot of noise trying to pass cars but the Yaris didn't really "move". After installing the headers, the car makes noise and MOVES now. Nothing crazy, but I believe the headers improved drivability? Yeah that's it, drivability. Still slow as sh*t though....
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #13
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Weapon-R: it's tri-y design gives better gains and scavenging at lower rpm. it would come down to where you mostly drive. if you are +70% open highway driving then the 4-1 DC design would be better. if you mostly do city driving; stop-and-go and traffic lights, the 4-2-1 Weapon R will give better performance at the lower RPM
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
suprf1y

Tri Y headers don't work on inline 4 cylinders. The pulses are too far apart to affect scavenging and if that's the one I'm thinking of the primaries are way too big anyway.

But none of them have correct primary lengths and sizes, and there's no collector to speak of either. That's the packaging problems I mentioned before.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:22 AM   #15
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
The DC headers are a worthy upgrade. Installed mine last April and I replaced the stock exhaust gasket and manifold gasket while I was at it since I was at 150k. Good midrange to upper gains. Power still falls flat after about 5.5k rpms though. I just have a short ram intake and the exhaust is stock.

When I first installed my short ram intake, it just made a lot of noise trying to pass cars but the Yaris didn't really "move". After installing the headers, the car makes noise and MOVES now. Nothing crazy, but I believe the headers improved drivability? Yeah that's it, drivability. Still slow as sh*t though....
My expectations are definitely realistic. I know it won't ever be fast - just looking for a little more seat of the pants "fast" feel.

Quote:
Neither header uses the heat shield, it is not necessary and can be removed without issue
Thought I read that the DC used it - even better that its not needed.

Quote:

Having run the DC header on my 1nz I can say that there was an improvement more so in the upper ranges of the powerband. It is worthwhile IMO due to the relatively low cost and ease of install, but it is not a large change. For that you would need to run a long tube header (such as that for the 2zr) which involves a much more complicated install ad the midpipe needs to be changed to accomodate this. Currently no company if fabricating a long tube header for the 1nz, although Yawsport out in Cali may potentially be willing to do it with a few changes from their 2zr header they are currently fabricating
The 1nz feels pretty peppy to about 25-30mph to me in city driving (though a little more would definitely be fun) and then feels like it's losing steam after that, so a bit of mid - upper range improvement would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
Weapon-R: it's tri-y design gives better gains and scavenging at lower rpm. it would come down to where you mostly drive. if you are +70% open highway driving then the 4-1 DC design would be better. if you mostly do city driving; stop-and-go and traffic lights, the 4-2-1 Weapon R will give better performance at the lower RPM
My Driving is 80-90% city driving. I occasionally take it on the expressways, but that is not where this car spends the mamority of its time.