Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
S0ULphIRE

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Tail + License Plate lights out

Gday all!

My Yaris' tail lights and license plate lights have stopped working all at the same time. I took it in to a mechanic who told me my indicator stalk switch was broken and quoted me $500 to repair

I'm not *completely* useless around cars :p so I thought I'd take a crack instead.

I took off the steering column cover and tested the indicator stalk's brass connectors (pic attached) with a multimeter. Every single connector registers ~12.5 volts, except the one that powers the tail light circuit.

Turning the stalk to "on" then "lights", I can see the brass connectors clicking down as they're supposed to, so the indicator stalk itself would seem functional to me?

I'm not too sure what my next step should be any advice would be greatly appreciated!

edit: pic didn't attach for some reason, link is here: http://imgur.com/D3Y981j
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
S0ULphIRE

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Hey Mods - could you please allow my post? I think it was auto-moderated when I added the image link. Thank you!

edit: for now, original post again
Gday all!

My Yaris' tail lights and license plate lights have stopped working all at the same time. I took it in to a mechanic who told me my indicator stalk switch was broken and quoted me $500 to repair

I took off the steering column cover and tested the indicator stalk's brass connectors (pic attached) with a multimeter. Every single connector registers ~12.5 volts, except the one that powers the tail light circuit.
Turning the stalk to "on" then "lights", I can see the brass connectors clicking down as they're supposed to, so the indicator stalk itself would seem functional to me?

I'm not too sure what my next step should be any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IndicatorStalk.jpg (531.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by S0ULphIRE; 12-12-2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Added original post
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote