Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Davidw123

Drives: yaris
05 Toyota Yaris (1.0 - 50k Miles) REAR PASSENGER BEARING

Hi,

i've recently purchased my Yaris (had it for 2 months), and asof last week got it fully serviced to ensure I keep up to things. When i got it back, everything was fine and dandy until a couple of days later my brakes were extremely spongey and on the way home I heard a grinding noise from my passenger rear wheel when slowing to a stop (only when stopping not whilst slowing mid-speed)

Originally i thought it was a flat; pulled over got out and nothing wrong. Took it back to the mechanic after it continued and he bled the system, told me the front brake pad was rubbing slightly and corrected and I was starting to get a rear wheel bearing issue on the area i mentioned. (this was NOT picked up in my service?) He drove it around and apparently had no issues, but after driving home today from work, and pulled onto my street the noise is back there again and this time not only when i brake and slow down but whenever i'm at a slow speed.

So i'm guessing my bearing is going/gone. How much does it cost to repair this as i've read some posts on the internet and i'm extremely concerned!

If anyone has some thoughts it'd much greatly greatly appreciated. The problem has only just started and wondered how long it would last due to the xmas period too..
Davidw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
duendeverde

Drives: Yaris 2010 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidw123 View Post
Hi,

i've recently purchased my Yaris (had it for 2 months), and asof last week got it fully serviced to ensure I keep up to things. When i got it back, everything was fine and dandy until a couple of days later my brakes were extremely spongey and on the way home I heard a grinding noise from my passenger rear wheel when slowing to a stop (only when stopping not whilst slowing mid-speed)

Originally i thought it was a flat; pulled over got out and nothing wrong. Took it back to the mechanic after it continued and he bled the system, told me the front brake pad was rubbing slightly and corrected and I was starting to get a rear wheel bearing issue on the area i mentioned. (this was NOT picked up in my service?) He drove it around and apparently had no issues, but after driving home today from work, and pulled onto my street the noise is back there again and this time not only when i brake and slow down but whenever i'm at a slow speed.

So i'm guessing my bearing is going/gone. How much does it cost to repair this as i've read some posts on the internet and i'm extremely concerned!

If anyone has some thoughts it'd much greatly greatly appreciated. The problem has only just started and wondered how long it would last due to the xmas period too..
Is't more like a Squeaking?
duendeverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Davidw123

Drives: yaris
I occasionally get a squeaking from the front driver side, quite rarely but yes.

The sound from the back seems to only happen when i've drove for a while and im guessing the breaks have warmed... its literally like a thumping as my tyre is going around; literally like when you have a flat...

i only use the car for work which is a 24 mile journey each day, and only noticed it on my last bend on the way home.
Davidw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
duendeverde

Drives: Yaris 2010 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidw123 View Post
I occasionally get a squeaking from the front driver side, quite rarely but yes.

The sound from the back seems to only happen when i've drove for a while and im guessing the breaks have warmed... its literally like a thumping as my tyre is going around; literally like when you have a flat...

i only use the car for work which is a 24 mile journey each day, and only noticed it on my last bend on the way home.
Try checking for dust, I clean my rear breaks every month or 2 due to squeaking
Check the cylinder
Check the brake drum, sometimes if it's shiny it will squeak. It can be resolve with a resurface
duendeverde is offline   Reply With Quote