Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
How can you tell if your coolant was changed?

I tried to get a garage to do a few things all in one visit. The guy who did the work talked to me a little after I paid. When I said something about the coolant he sort of got a blank stare. I get the feeling he didn't change it. I still was charged for it a couple minutes earlier. Is there an easy way to tell if it was changed? Thank you.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Not really. Best bet is to check the colour, and ask them what brand of coolant they use. If they use a Peak Global or similar, it is gold and will look much lighter than OE coolant (but likely still pink). If they use a coolant exchange machine, have a look closely to see if you see any evidence of the upper rad hose having been touched (clamp in a different spot, shiny marks on the clamp).
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
bad
Winterizing

Hey CoryM, Thanks for getting back to me. I am going to try to use your advice this weekend.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
hondajt

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5Dr
I have worked at many different mechanic/oil shops over the years. Could have just been done by a different tech. Often someone would do the oil/tire change while someone else was changing the coolant, etc..

But to be sure, just be polite and ask them. If it's an honest shop, you'll get an honest answer.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
bad
Winterizing

CoryM, you said

"If they use a Peak Global or similar, it is gold and will look much lighter than OE coolant (but likely still pink)."

This is a little confusing to me. Is replacement coolant pink, gold, or somehow both?

Please check out these pictures I took today.

The first one shows me shining a light beside the plastic tub, and in my opinion the coolant inside looks pink.

The other pictures are of under the metal cap that says radiator fluid that is on a black rubber hose. This liquid looks gold to me. I know they are blurry, sorry, it was difficult.

Before I took these pictures I actually took the cap off when it was just a little warm. At that point the liquid was higher and I can assure you that it looked gold in there.

I dripped some from the cap onto a white piece of paper but it dried very colorless. I thought it looked kind of pink but thought that it might have been my imagination.

What color would you say this is and what color was originally in the car?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yariscoolantforforum1.jpg (15.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg yariscoolantforforum2.jpg (14.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg yariscoolantforforum3.jpg (14.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg yariscoolantforforum4.jpg (22.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
OE coolant is a dark pink. The Global coolant is gold. Usually if you change the OE fluid to gold stuff, it still comes up a little bit pink. If the coolant in the radiator (under the presser cap) looks gold, I would say your flush was done. They may not have changed the fluid in the reservoir though, which is why it is more pink. It's not a big deal, but I always change the fluid (and clean the reservoir if required) when I change coolant.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
bad
Winterizing

Alright, thanks alot. I feel better about it.

And hondajt, I should've just asked him when the whole thing went down. One of those lessons I gotta learn. Thanks.