Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
TRD Exaust - Cops and legality

I live in Mass, and the state cops here are jerks (just dont try telling that to their face, I know from experience that they dont like it too much ;) and they like to nail people for having 'altered exausts.' I know the TRD muffler is an actual toyota part so it technically isnt aftermarket, but if I get pulled over and the cop hasnt had his donut and his blood sugar is low, it might not be enough to say that. I am wondering if there is anything I could show the cops that would prove it is noise and emission legal. anyone have any experience with this?
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
If you want to prove it will pass emissions just point to the cats.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
AlphaFox

no, its not emissions that im worried about. I know it will pass inspection, but the cops see crome on the exaust and it puts them into a frenzy thinking I have an aftermarket exaust system, which here is considered an 'altered exaust' which is illegal. looking for a certificate from toyota saying its 'nose certified legal in all 50 states' or something to that extent.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
honestly...i dont think the cops would even notice the trd exhaust is aftermarket....it almost looks like the stock tC's...plus it sounds stock as well.....they only get people with the big canisters...
nqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
AlphaFox

I hope your right, although it is louder than stock correct? if I guned it from a light or something and he heard then he might question how stock it is.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
nqd

IMHO i think its as loud as when an infinity g35 takes off...if u ever heard one of those....
Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
AlphaFox

sweet, that car sounds nice and beefy takin off! Im getting my muffler tonight!!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
webomatics

Drives: SILVER BULLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
I live in Mass, and the state cops here are jerks (just dont try telling that to their face, I know from experience that they dont like it too much ;) and they like to nail people for having 'altered exausts.' I know the TRD muffler is an actual toyota part so it technically isnt aftermarket, but if I get pulled over and the cop hasnt had his donut and his blood sugar is low, it might not be enough to say that. I am wondering if there is anything I could show the cops that would prove it is noise and emission legal. anyone have any experience with this?
Listen i used to live in MA and have had dealings with the exhaust nazis. There's nothing you can do when a cop wants to screw you over, explaining things to someone that already pulled you over will make you look more guilty. If i were you i would have the paperwork (purchase receipt, exhaust information, etc) with your registration just in case, but most likely you will have to fight it in court. But like somebody else here said, this thing looks stock (you should see my G-readdy coconut launcher) so the cop that stops you for that is an a-hole. Cheers.
webomatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
I hope your right, although it is louder than stock correct? if I guned it from a light or something and he heard then he might question how stock it is.
Then dont 'gun it' from a light.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
nqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Then dont 'gun it' from a light.

haha what an easy solution red...but we all know once you get an exhaust you cant help it. you just wanna hear that thing roar...
Old 07-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqd View Post
haha what an easy solution red...but we all know once you get an exhaust you cant help it. you just wanna hear that thing roar...
I love hearing that thing roar no doubt but with age comes experience . Im not stupid enough to red line it when there's a cop on every corner around here!

Sometimes simple solutions work best folks.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
AlphaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
I love hearing that thing roar no doubt but with age comes experience . Im not stupid enough to red line it when there's a cop on every corner around here!

Sometimes simple solutions work best folks.
well if I see a cop at a light I will take your advice into consideration...

Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
AlphaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by webomatics View Post
Listen i used to live in MA and have had dealings with the exhaust nazis. There's nothing you can do when a cop wants to screw you over, explaining things to someone that already pulled you over will make you look more guilty. If i were you i would have the paperwork (purchase receipt, exhaust information, etc) with your registration just in case, but most likely you will have to fight it in court. But like somebody else here said, this thing looks stock (you should see my G-readdy coconut launcher) so the cop that stops you for that is an a-hole. Cheers.

yes, most of the state troopers are a-holes. when I got pulled over before it was origionally because I had cleared my headlights and took out the reflectors. he didnt like that, and then asked if my exaust was aftermarket. I answered yes for some reason... so he takes my info back to his car and just starts doing whatever they do.. after a few minutes I got out of my car because I wanted to explain and point out the headlights and stuff. after a few minutes he got out of his car and I showed him some stuff and he just handed me the ticket, and basically just started walking away. so as hes walking away I shout 'why do you have to be a jerk about this?' and he goes 'what did you call me??' I say 'well why dont you just let me fix the issues, I didnt know they were illegal or I wouldnt have done them.' he goes, 'because Im a jerk.' then I shout out 'I guess you are!!' and he speeds away. hahaah

The worst is yet to come though. I contest the ticket, and I NEVER get a court date in the mail... then I get a license suspension notice and a late fine after ONE WHOLE YEAR!! I go down to the DMV and they say to go to the court and ask for a new hearing... I drive down to the court and ask the woman behind the counter for a new date as I never got the old one in the mail. she nicely takes my paperwork and goes into a room.. like 10 minutes later she comes back all pissed off.. 'I cant give you once because your mailing address is the same as the one I have on file for you, so you must have got it.' so I say 'how am I supposed to be responsable for the mail??' and she gets all huffy and says 'im not debating this with you sir!' ....

So, I go back down to the dmv and he asks me if I got a new date. I say no, and he goes 'I have never heard of that happening before. every time they request a new date people get them.' so the cop fixed my ticket so I couldnt get a new court date, he really screwed me over!!!! I ended up getting the late fee removed though, but I have this stuid violation on my record for 4 years and my premimums went up...........
Old 07-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
all cops are assholes, law sucks
Old 07-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
nqd

not all cops are dicks....just the majority....i know a couple that love modding cars and all that....
Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

I see more modified exhausts on pickup trucks around where I am (backwoods Georgia) than ricemobiles anyday and they NEVER get pulled over for that shit (probably cuz the cops drive that garbage here and they like em).
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqd View Post
not all cops are dicks....just the majority....i know a couple that love modding cars and all that....
Yeah NQD and they get the free lifetime pass if pulled over.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
AlphaFox

well hopefully I they will not think its illegal since its not that big or ricey looking... till I accelerate!!