Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
my2sense

Drives: 2007 Red 5dr RS
Projectors retrofit, black reflectors and dimmed front turn signals

Hey all you projector retrofit guys (and everyone else) who painted their turn signal reflectors in their headlights, do you find that your amber turn signals are too dim now? I'm just concerned that the cops might have another reason to pull me over :(

I have to admit that they look great painted black until the front turn signals start blinking and it's hard to see them during the day. I haven't tried at night yet. I think I must have read all of the HID/projectors threads and don't think I remember anyone mentioning the turn signals dimming significantly (to me anyhow).

Looking at the 7507a bulb, it doesn't look that bright to being with, probably because it was meant to be reflected and not shine on its own. I think I'm going to try some LED turn signals to see if they can help brighten things up a bit.

Anyone converted to LED front turn signals already? Was the light output much brighter?

Last edited by my2sense; 06-11-2012 at 10:33 PM.
my2sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
I had done it a while ago....but when you do it...your turn signals will flash a way faster....
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
LEDs probably won't help your case. They would need to be SMDs and at least a 36 count to even match the regular incandescent bulbs for brightness. LEDs do many things better than incandescents but all out brightness (NOT intensity) is not one of them. The biggest that fits in the front signal slot is a 36 LED bulb and mine weren't very bright.

The way I took when blacking my headlights when I did my retrofit was that I did not paint the reflector bowl for the signal. I only painted the bottom bowl for the headlight and around the top. Then I painted the separate L shaped piece that holds the side reflector. I left the signal bowl alone. Here's an idea:

If you've already painted them, then...ah. You might just be SOL if the LEDs aren't any brighter than the incandescents. Maybe try the cool chrome bulbs from Sylvania, but that's about all I can think of.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.

Last edited by SAV912; 06-12-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: wrong picture
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Ot_tO

Drives: Look Signature... ;-)
Smile @ SAV912

It's your car on the picture - it looks like you have the 2009-?

I have also this version, but to now I couldn't find other headlights.

Which product you installed?

Thanks

YARIS II (XP9F) Facelift (2009-2011) 3dr Executive 1.33 (74kW/101PS/99hp) 6gear-MultiMode Jan/2010 (german version)
Ot_tO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
my2sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
If you've already painted them, then...ah. You might just be SOL if the LEDs aren't any brighter than the incandescents. Maybe try the cool chrome bulbs from Sylvania, but that's about all I can think of.

-C
Yeah, I figured I might be SOL too. I thought about it before I painted but obviously didn't think hard enough, lol. Thanks for the suggestion about the chrome bulbs, I'll have a look.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ot_tO View Post
It's your car on the picture - it looks like you have the 2009-?

I have also this version, but to now I couldn't find other headlights.

Which product you installed?

Thanks
Yes, that's my car. It's an '09 and unfortunately, aftermarket headlight selections are sparse at best. I went with a Micro Image retrofit kit and made those headlights myself.

This is the kit that Garm (username: cali_yaris) offers. I would get with him or Jeff at Micro Image for the hook up. It requires patience but it is a worthwhile modification.

OP, if you go with the chrome bulbs, come back and let us know how it goes. I tried LEDs and wasn't impressed but haven't tried the Sylvanias yet.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
Ot_tO

Smile

Quote:
Yes, that's my car. It's an '09 and unfortunately, aftermarket headlight selections are sparse at best. I went with a Micro Image retrofit kit and made those headlights myself.

This is the kit that Garm (username: cali_yaris) offers. I would get with him or Jeff at Micro Image for the hook up. It requires patience but it is a worthwhile modification.
(...)
Ahh... - it's the original headlight and instead of the H4 in it it's a HID lens kit.
You got an 'operating license' with it?

I live in Germany and every two years I must drive with the car to the 'technical monitoring association' (TÜV).
If I don't have documents about this modification, I don't get the sticker for the next two years.

Also I worry this isn't allowed here in Germany.
Here you can't modify headlights.

YARIS II (XP9F) Facelift (2009-2011) 3dr Executive 1.33 (74kW/101PS/99hp) 6gear-MultiMode Jan/2010 (german version)
Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
my2sense

Well, after doing a little bit more research, it looks like the best course of action is to get new headlight assembly since the reflectors/turn signals are a safety issue/requirement. Chalk one up for a hard lesson learned: don't fool with safety equipments on cars, lol.

I wonder if it's possible to just swap the top turn signal reflectors only and leave the bottom headlight reflectors alone. I was able to move them somewhat while painting them. Anyone know? This way I won't have to redo the projector retrofit. Although the end results were great, it was a PITA to retrofit.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ot_tO View Post
Ahh... - it's the original headlight and instead of the H4 in it it's a HID lens kit.
You got an 'operating license' with it?

I live in Germany and every two years I must drive with the car to the 'technical monitoring association' (TÜV).
If I don't have documents about this modification, I don't get the sticker for the next two years.

Also I worry this isn't allowed here in Germany.
Here you can't modify headlights.

I'm not at all sure how it would work for Germany's laws as I'm on the Georgia beach here in the states. It didn't come with licenses or anything, it's just a do-it-yourself kit. Is there a place in Germany that can verify you are within the legal limits after the modification? That might be a route to consider but again, I know nothing of Germany's requirements since I've never lived there.

Best of luck.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Well, after doing a little bit more research, it looks like the best course of action is to get new headlight assembly since the reflectors/turn signals are a safety issue/requirement. Chalk one up for a hard lesson learned: don't fool with safety equipments on cars, lol.

I wonder if it's possible to just swap the top turn signal reflectors only and leave the bottom headlight reflectors alone. This way I won't have to redo the projector retrofit. Although the end results were great, it was a PITA to retrofit.
Yes, it is possible to swap the bowls. That's how I kept mine from getting paint all over them instead of taping them off. They are removable; however, whether they are sold as a part or as an entity of the entire headlight assembly is a different story and one that I don't know the answer to.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Ot_tO

Smile

Quote:
I'm not at all sure how it would work for Germany's laws as I'm on the Georgia beach here in the states. It didn't come with licenses or anything, it's just a do-it-yourself kit. Is there a place in Germany that can verify you are within the legal limits after the modification? That might be a route to consider but again, I know nothing of Germany's requirements since I've never lived there.

Best of luck.

-C
I would need an 'operating license' that this modification is 'street legal'.
Well would be a SAE + DOT or better an E + number in circle on the HID lens and an 'approval certificate'.

I believe the only other way would be to install all and make an 'individual acceptance' at the TÜV. That the installed headlights corresponds to the 'german road traffic regulations'.
But this will costs much money. I hear that this would be around 1,000.- € or more.

I'll think about all...

I don't like the german street laws... - but I must live with it.

- - - - - - - - - -

'Sorry' to the OP (my2sense), that I was too offtopic.
I was curious because of the nice headlights.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
my2sense

I forgot to mention that my parts store guy (Wescan) recommended that I used something called Dum Dum to reseal my headlights. It was only $13 and it's holding up good so far even after a recent massive rainstorm.

I had to reopen up my headlights to remove some fingerprints I left on the projectors (gotta be perfect ) and the headlights came apart without too much effort or oven bake. I just heated up the new Dum Dum with a heat gun before I put the housing back together.

We'll see how good it is in the long run but thought I would mention it for anyone thinking for doing a retrofit. I was going to get the Nissan sealant but that would've cost me $36 up here in Canada.

Here's the link to the product: http://www.proformproducts.com/en/pr...33&category=24.