Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Drives: 2012 Toyota Tundra and Yaris
Sushi the Yaris

Whats up guys! Picked up a 2012 Yaris 5 speed hatchback as a daily. This is it next to my 2012 Tundra. Didn't see a section for builds, so if this is in the wrong place please move

First thing i did was start looking for all weather mats (my feet get dirty). I had heard of 3D mats and the pictures looked pretty good, so decided to give them a try. Definitely impressed with the quality

Wasn't too happy with the little cargo light in the back, so decided to add leds wired to a switch

Also blacked out the badges with some bedliner

Added an Intake, definitely like the sound difference. Not a huge fan of the AFE using the battery bracket though

Decide to start doing some minor stuff to the interior. Picked up this shift knob and suede boot on ebay for cheap. The boot was universal, so i ended up cutting and restitching it up at work

Painted some of the dash pieces to match the Yellow

WHEELS AND TIRES!!!! I went with some 15" Vision 426 Cross in Black and for tires 195/60R15 Falken ZE950. I went with a bigger size because I'm still getting used to having to drive around stuff vs just running it over
Also got a Viper 3105V alarm installed along with tinting the windows

One of the original tires was in decent shape, and since i bought the car without a spare i decided to just use it (not a fan of doughnuts anyways). The full size tire wont fit where the old spare goes without removing the riser piece on the top. This is tac welded to the car, so before doing this you need to make sure you don't have any emotional attachments to that doughnut. I simple took a big hammer and beat it out...but you can definitely grind away the tac welds. then simply fill the holes in and ta da! full size spare room

WOOHOO!! Added a new Android head unit and kicker hideaway sub!
Went with the hideaway because even though i was really tempted to throw a crazy set up in there, i convinced myself i needed the space more. Put it on the floor because I have taken the back seat out and don't plan on putting it back in. It doesn't sound bad, but definitely doesn't compare with the normal amp/sub set up. I'm ok with it though, more info on the head unit here
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...199#post796199

Added a DC Strut Bar today :) pretty happy camper, need to get a rear sway bar now

An aluminum oil cap....because it was 5 bucks on ebay lol

Did some more Interior work, Added 4 Kicker 6.5" Speakers and wrapped all the gray diamond plate trim pieces in our Defender Cloth (I work at The Seat Shop)

Rear TRD Sway Bar came in today!!!! Piece of cake to install, didn't even have to jack the car up lol

LET THERE BE LIGHT!!! I might lose some of yall with this one, but added some leds for a rally look. Also they will be very helpful when im out driving in the middle of no where. For details I did a small write up over in the cosmetic section

Got some performance updates :D
Got my hands on a Golden Eagle Intake Manifold and a 1ZZ Throttle body, did the coolant bypass on the throttle body and working on adjusting the idle screw. Gonna need a new coupler for the intake, I don't know how people got their originals to work

Whited out the letters on the tires and added a Tanabe Exhaust. Extremely pleased with both

Last edited by hotracer_05; 07-31-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: photobucket sucks
hotracer_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Alright. Good to see the 3rd gen representing.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Sushi the Yaris

Looks good! Kinda jealous you have a third pedal! Keep it up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
the black wheels pop against the white especially like the 2 door model

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 04-26-2017 at 12:58 PM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Not a fan of the painted yellow trim pieces, but the other then that, loving it!

Also, like the full spare trick, gotta remember that for the future. ;)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 AM   #6
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
That angled thing is so stupid in the spare tire well! I wonder what it's purpose even is other than to get stuff trapped under it haha.

Just so you know, if you get the microphone assembly and the radio from a 2013 or later Yaris it's all plug and play and then the radio will have bluetooth calls and audio.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
That angled thing is so stupid in the spare tire well! I wonder what it's purpose even is other than to get stuff trapped under it haha.

Just so you know, if you get the microphone assembly and the radio from a 2013 or later Yaris it's all plug and play and then the radio will have bluetooth calls and audio.

Is this only applicable to those cars without the Bluetooth head unit? Mine has the Bluetooth head unit but the factory microphone is awful

Old 04-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
vitz rs gs

Drives: Toyota vitz rs gs 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Is this only applicable to those cars without the Bluetooth head unit? Mine has the Bluetooth head unit but the factory microphone is awful

Hi everyone. I am from Mauritius. (Just google it).

Thks for the nice pics hotracer_05. I will be very glad to know how you blacked the badge. Thks

vitz rs gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitz rs gs View Post
Hi everyone. I am from Mauritius. (Just google it).

Thks for the nice pics hotracer_05. I will be very glad to know how you blacked the badge. Thks

Man yall are way out there! (I googled it lol)

I removed the off the car, peeled the old double sided tape off the emblems/car, scuffed up the badges with a scratch pad, primed and painted them, then added new double sided tape and cut to shape with a razor blade
Old 04-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotracer_05 View Post

I removed the off the car, peeled the old double sided tape off the emblems/car, scuffed up the badges with a scratch pad, primed and painted them, then added new double sided tape and cut to shape with a razor blade

Good to know, I wasn't sure how the badge was held on.

What about that long trim piece under it? How is that removed?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #11
vitz rs gs

Drives: Toyota vitz rs gs 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotracer_05 View Post

Thks for the reply. Will try to do same this weekend.

vitz rs gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Thanks guys!

Dodge Aries I know! I bought the car used and there was so much crap under there lol. I just ordered an Android headunit and it comes with a mic, but i did notice that extra plug when i had the dash apart
Old 04-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Nice ride!

I'm with Dabuu on the yellow and I also prefer at least 16" wheels, but overall you have yourself something really cool going. Absolutely love those mats; they look way more slick than the Weathertech option. Going to look into those.

Sushi is a funny name!

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 04-26-2017 at 10:52 AM.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
m.flores.0928

And those yellow rings around your air vents, how did you get those off? I might just have to copy you there, I love those accents

Old 04-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
Where did you find a coupe that is manual :[ The Toyota dealership in my state didn't bring in coupes or manual ones. You had to special order it and no one has a used ones. I'm many jelly.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #16
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTK808 View Post
Where did you find a coupe that is manual :[ The Toyota dealership in my state didn't bring in coupes or manual ones. You had to special order it and no one has a used ones. I'm many jelly.
I bought it used, and used the fact that it was a 5speed to bring the price down (no one can drive stick in the states anymore ) I think it originally came out of Louisiana
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #17
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
I'm not a fan of blacked-out trim and badges, but I love what you did to the vent trim. The lighting you did in the hatch trim is a great idea, too.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I bought some of those 3D mats for my car. Couldn't stop thinking about how slick they look vs. the Weathertech's after seeing your pic of them in your car.

They arrived super fast from the online retailer I bought them from and I like the way they look/feel in hand. Can't wait to get my car back from the body shop to see how they look inside. I'm hoping they improve the feel of my interior over the 10 yr old factory carpet mats that are looking a little tired, and am really hoping they go up high enough on the missing dead pedal to cover the light wear spot in the carpet that's developed over the years. I see that they do in your year, just hoping it's the same for the 2nd gen's.

Thanks again for posting about them!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote