Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #37
othater

Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
Got a replacement serpentine belt.
Still a Dayco but a better quality one. Store would only give me credit for the same brand.
Originally went with the part number above. Didn't know they came in different grades.
So far so good.
Sure was easier the second time replacing.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
Illryion

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Just used this guide - thanks all. Easy Peasy.
Illryion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #39
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteless View Post
I think this is done and gone, but I just wanted to say that I recently did this to my Egg. She has about 90K on her and needed a new belt. The bottom bolt is on there REEEEALLY good. I had to use a socket wrench and put a tube on the end to extend the fulcrum and had to make sure the socket I was using was the exact right size.
heat, time, patients and penetrating oil is your friend lol. im sure you already knew that. But I cant stress enough. Soak those stuborn bolts with penetrating oil. Heat is always good, Taps with a hammer. And time. Always time. Soak them go eat a sandwich. Come back and soak again. hell soak 3 times a day for a week. That bolt didnt become stuck overnight so its not giving up the battle in a minute. Also try different kinds of penetrating oils. I find that some work better in one case and others work better in another. Also get some Kroil or aerokroil it will make pb look like water.

Best Luck.
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #40
the rev
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Yaris
So, first off, thanks for the great guide!

Second, a word of caution to those who wish to undertake this:
You need to oil the crap out of the bottom bolt, several times, and let it sit BEFORE endeavoring to remove it! They apparently make these bolt heads out of pudding (on the 2010 anyway), and it will round right off with little effort. Oil it (from the backside) and let it sit.

Happy motoring!
the rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #41
Toolaholic

Drives: Olive yaris,FRS, Dakota R/T
To loosen and tighten lower alternator bolt from the top w/o removing a/c line brackets use a slim head 3/8 ratchet(I used a armstrong 10-994), 3/8 to 1/4 adapter(this is right length to clear front of alternator that sticks out over bolt) and a quality 1/4 drive 14mm six point socket( I used a craftsman USA 1st time and a proto the second time{fit tighter than craftsman}).A gearwrench 3/8 torque wrench fits w/ the 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and 1/4 drive socket. It's still tight w/ a/c brackets left on. You must tilt ratchet/ext/socket at a 45 degree angle and slip over 14mm bolt. Getting socket on bolt straight on doesn't work cause of a /c bracket being on the way. You can also loosen and tighten lower bolt from the front w/ a flex head ratchet flexed to the right( looking from front of car ). I pryed w/ a gearwrench 16" prybar. If you pry from top be careful prybar wants to slip in alternator vent holes. You can pry from the side w/ the gearwrench ( you must adjust flex head accordingly ). Hope this helps.
Toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #42
E46

Drives: '10 Yaris Hatchback, '03 325i
I've been trying to replace the belt on my wife's Yaris. Soaked the lower alternator bolt with penetrating oil every other day for more than 2 weeks, then used a steel pipe over my socket wrench to get more leverage. Felt the thing give way and my wrench dropped to the bottom of the engine bay. Picked it up and saw that the wrench broke at the socket connector....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg (182.6 KB, 166 views)
E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #43
tigerpaw

Drives: 2012 yaris sedan
I believe the factory uses threadlocker on the 14 mm bottom bolt. Heat up the bolt with a BBQ long lighter and use a pipe over the ratchet handle. If it's still stubborn try to tighten the bolt . You just need it to budge a tiny bit then you've got it. Worked for me! Also the factory belt is a Bando brand 4PK1180 for vehicles with air conditioner. Paid about 6 bucks at Rock Auto.
tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #44
toyotavios_11

Drives: Toyota Vios
the space is very compact and it is hard for you to insert bigger ratchet. what you need it a piece of pipe on the handle on small ratchet
toyotavios_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:49 AM   #45
tigerpaw

Drives: 2012 yaris sedan
othater, torque value for the 12mm top bolt is 14 ft.lbs
For the 14mm bottom bolt it is 40 ft.lbs. New belt deflection is 7.0 mm- 8.5 mm.
tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #46
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
I just posted in another thread about losing my belt on the Garden State Parkway, seeing the red overheating coolant light (it is a pretty red, though, LOL) and the subsequent sleeping at an Autozone Parking lot until they opened and using their tools. It is not an easy job. I stripped the bottom bolt because I used the wrong socket. Don't use the wrong socket. I ended up loosening only the top bolt and hitting my aluminum alternator right at a thick part of it with this long metal rod I keep in my car for emergencies...... Yes it is bad to subject your alternator to such forces and I know it was wrong to do so but I really didn't hit it that hard and it moved little by little. I was able move the alternator back despite that lower bolt being super tight. I was also able to use my bar as a crowbar to tighten the alternator, wedging it between the engine and the body of the alternator and pulling the alternator out to tighten the belt. No tool to measure belt deflection, just a push of a finger to make sure it is pretty snug is good enough. If it doesn't squeal on startup, you're ok. After 100 miles, a retightening was required, but none since then. This was Autozone's better belt that cost like 2 bucks more than the valuecraft and comes with a year or 3 year warrantee.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote