Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Passenger Air Bag Light Not On

I have a question, I just noticed that the Passenger side air bag lights are not on.

The Passenger AirBag OFF and the Passenger AirBag ON lights are not.

The air bag diagnostic light on the dash is off, so I'm guessing that everything is working, but it would be nice if the lights would be on.

What should I check?

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
I have a question, I just noticed that the Passenger side air bag lights are not on.

The Passenger AirBag OFF and the Passenger AirBag ON lights are not.

The air bag diagnostic light on the dash is off, so I'm guessing that everything is working, but it would be nice if the lights would be on.

What should I check?
If I'm understanding your explanation correctly, everything is working correctly. In the past, I had a similar feeling because of the labeling. After reading en explanation on some past thread as it came along in real time, I remember feeling that the labeling seemed counter intuitive. IIRC, lighting will change if you have enough weight on the front passenger seat that the system thinks there is a person sitting on the seat. CTScott is the expert on this, as he developed an aftermarket bypass module for the front passenger seat/airbag interaction.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
Ranger SVO

Thanks for your response,

OK, I just found this and it describes my car exactly

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31124

How do I fix this??

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Old 06-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
The way I'm understanding the thread you linked to, CTScott is describing a likely explanation, and both Debby and ersheff are agreeing and giving their experiences as examples. Are you experiencing ersheff's phenomenon, except without any weight being placed on the passenger seat at all (different from ersheff's bag and Debby's container of milk) ?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Ranger SVO

OK, when I sit in the passenger seat, the Airbag ON light illuminates and the seat belt light flashes.

When I get out of the seat, no lights are on. (both the AirBag OFF and AirBag ON lights are off)

When I put two One gallon jugs of water in the seat, the seat belt light flashes, both the AirBag OFF and AirBag ON lights are off

Giordano Bruno
Old 06-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Here's the truth table for that indicator:

Condition / ON Indicator / OFF Indicator
Vacant / OFF / OFF
Adult is seated / ON / OFF
Child is seated / OFF / ON
Child restraint system is set / OFF / ON
Front passenger occupant classification system failure / OFF / ON

Yours appears to operate correctly. OFF / OFF means no human detected by the seat. ON / OFF means it found an adult in the seat. Airbag OFF actually means "Person detected in seat and airbag will not deploy", rather than "Airbag will not deploy". No lights at all mean "Nobody is occupying that seat, airbag will not deploy".
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
Ranger SVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post

Vacant / OFF / OFF

Yours appears to operate correctly. OFF / OFF means no human detected by the seat. ON / OFF means it found an adult in the seat. Airbag OFF actually means "Person detected in seat and airbag will not deploy", rather than "Airbag will not deploy". No lights at all mean "Nobody is occupying that seat, airbag will not deploy".
Thanks, I guess that makes sense. Thank you

Giordano Bruno
Old 06-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
OK, when I sit in the passenger seat, the Airbag ON light illuminates and the seat belt light flashes.

When I get out of the seat, no lights are on. (both the AirBag OFF and AirBag ON lights are off)

When I put two One gallon jugs of water in the seat, the seat belt light flashes, both the AirBag OFF and AirBag ON lights are off
The sensor can detect a shift in weight (per CTScott), so I'd think you might be getting a different response than Debby did because the jug likely isn't in the exact same place in both instances.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post

Vacant / OFF / OFF

Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
The sensor can detect a shift in weight (per CTScott), so I'd think you might be getting a different response than Debby did because the jug likely isn't in the exact same place in both instances.
That is possible. Also, the calibration of the module to the sensors can cause two cars to behave differently.