Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #55
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
I'm just interested in not freezing when I leave for work at 4am. It gets mighty chilly at that hour!!

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #56
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
I'm just interested in not freezing when I leave for work at 4am. It gets mighty chilly at that hour!!

My experience so far is it makes the cool engine light go out after half a mile instead of a mile plus. Note the coolant temp is only 140 degrees F when the light goes out. So you dont really have heat yet even with the light out.

I wonder if people who have the bh can say if it hellps get heat to the interior noticeably sooner?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #57
swede

Drives: 07 SDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluak View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread. Didnt know if making a new one would be better...

i was wondering if this would fit on my yaris?

2007 auto sedan

http://trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodVi...dproduct=-5127

or this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-OEM-E...item3f10c709bf

only reason i ask is because it says Toyota of Canada, didnt know if there was a difference.

Thanks for the help

anybody purchase this one on ebay and install it? Want to know its good before I buy
Old 12-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #58
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
Either of those should be fine, they look similar. They fit the auto easier than the manual, as you will see from my pics in this thread. I bought mine from a dealer in MN (I think??) that gets them from Canada, they aren't very common in the US. I believe the recommendation is in this thread as well.

And as far as interior heat goes, my ScanGauge reads water temps of a little over 100 deg F after using the block heater overnight, which as mentioned doesn't translate to much heat, since the cold LED stays on till 130 deg F. It does help for getting non-freezing air onto the windshield for faster defrosting. I am currently experimenting to see the shortest amount of time I need the block heater on to get to the max temperature.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #59
BuildCode

I still had my PM from user R2D2 who helped me pick my block heater out, PU140-00900 is for the auto, so that will fit. C0140-00900 is for the manual, but you can make the auto version fit manual just fine as I did. And the dealer is Burnsville Toyota of MN.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #60
swede

Drives: 07 SDN
Great! Just bought it!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #61
BuildCode

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post
Great! Just bought it!
Cool let us know how it goes!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #62
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
I'm having a really hard time actually finding the damn hole for the block heater. I saw some pictures where the one for the automatic trans goes, but I have a manual transmission.

Is it in the exact same spot? I jacked the car up as I had better mobility to feel around from the underside of the car, but I could still not feel the hole to insert the heater plug into.

Where exactly is it?

Like....I took the battery out, then just to the left (when standing facing the car) and down of the battery is (I believe) the shifter cables/linkages. Just to the right of that is some kind of....I dunno it's kind of a clunky thing and I can move it with my hand. Seems to have something to do with shifting too. Is it just to the left, and down a smidge from that thing?

I guess it's kind of hard to explain without a picture.

Here are some pictures I manged to take by getting my hand up inside with my camera on my phone. Does it plug in where this little plastic thing is? Or...where is it around here?! This is the shifter cable plate thingy is the darker coloured metal.

EDIT::: Here is a link to an imgur album with some of the pictures. http://imgur.com/a/7fjcc#0
Where in relation to where these pictures are taken is the plug hole?

Last edited by naossoan; 09-29-2012 at 12:02 PM.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #63
BuildCode

I don't think you'd have an easy time at all getting to it from the bottom of the vehicle.

Yes it is in the same location for manual trans, just a little more blocked by the linkages which is sounds like you found (move them and have someone watch the gear shifter and you'll know!)

It certainly sounds like you're close to finding it. The inside is very smooth and machined feeling. I don't think words will help as much as the pictures on here.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #64
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
WOW was that a pain in the ass AND THEN SOME.

For anyone with a Manual transmission, and I believe this has been said before:

You MUST unbolt the shifting cable mounting bracket thingy. I even had to undo where they connect to the shifting things with the little clips.

You MUST remove a 10mm screw for a wire which is right there.
You MUST remove the small mount in which that wire was screwed into.

The instructions for the block heater make it appear that it slides in from the BACK (back as in the the part of the engine furthest away from the front bumper). THIS IS NOT THE CASE! It slides in FROM THE SIDE! From Right -> Left if facing the engine compartment from the front of the car.

If you don't remove all those parts then the plug cannot slide in straight and it will get STUCK. This happened to me, as I didn't think I needed to remove the small mount for the wiring harness, but once I removed it it slid in easy-peasy.

The other thing is that once you install it, things are extremely tight in there. I was able to re-attach the small mount for the cable, but I was not able to re-attach the cable to that mount, the rubber part of the block heater plug was in the way of this. I even made sure that the plug was pushed in all the way, which is was.

While re-mounting the shifting cable bracket thing it seemed like it just BARELY fit back on. It was right up against the side of the block heater threading (which is useless anyway not sure why it's there).

I double checked to make sure I had the right block heater plug, and it says for the 1NZ-FE engine 1.5L so it had to be the right one, but my god was it tight.

The actual location of the plug is directly beside where the shifting cables bracket thing and the small mounting bracket for that cable is. The actual hole is invisible from the front/side of the engine because there are too many other hoses and stuff in the way, you have to feel for it which is also very awkward and hand-cramping.

Careful when you undo the bolts for the shifting cable bracket, I smashed my hand really hard against the heat shield by the exhaust manifold when the bolt gave, so wear some gloves.

There weren't many good pictures of this location/installation so I took some:

Last edited by naossoan; 09-29-2012 at 07:46 PM.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #65
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I did mine on my auto trans. There no brackets to remove or anything. But finding the hole and inserting the heater is more involved than it needs to be. All the pictures dont help an aweful lot.

Remove the battery definately.

If someone has an engine out of the car and can post a pic of the location that would help more than anything else.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #66
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
RESIZE YOUR PICS PLEASE
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #67
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
Just replaced my blockheater a few days ago...
Was a lot to take apart to get at... it was a little tight and most of it happened by feel, took me about 1.5h from start to finish.
the one i pulled out had a ripped boot and was not connecting properly... i did find a folded up piece of cardboard under the plug of the block heater.... when i unfolded the cardboard it was a toyota parts chunk of cardboard... not sure if this is a Toyota Certified fix or not.
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #68
cosado
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 3dH Red
naossoan
Thank you for the pictures! They helped more than anything I've found so far
cosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #69
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Well, I spent a bunch of time trying to find the hole. I found one hole where I thought it should be, but it was not big enough for the heater that I got. Looking at the pictures again I think that was the wrong hole. It should be on the edge of the block, but I could not see anything or feel any holes in that area. Frustrated. I guess I'm going to take it to the dealer to let them install it.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #70
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
After several years of use, my block heater failed. The wires on the plug end became frayed and shorted out. I would prefer to replace the whole heater & cord assembly.

The challenge has been finding part number C0140-00900. My car has a manual trans. I would like to order the correct part this time instead of modifying a heater for an auto trans car.

Any idea where to get p/n C0140-00900 these days? My searches are not finding anything for sale.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #71
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

I may have that one Frank. I bought one and never installed it. I could not find a way to access the hole, and never took it anywhere to have it done. The one I bought was for a manual transmission. If you are interested send me a message. I will have to check the part number when I get home.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #72
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

I responded, though I don't see it in my private messages (sent). If you don't get my message (Frank N), then post here.