Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
tomrom101
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Unhappy Brake warning lights !+ABS

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2007 Yaris with ABS, I've had for about two months now. Recently the ! light comes on (like when the parking brake is engaged) and the ABS light as well. The lights seem to go away randomly. The lights came on again tonight right after the car had been parked in a relatively warm garage, and I tested the ABS tonight on the ice, and they did not work. But the brakes are working well otherwise. The manual says to stop immediately and call the dealer which is not practical! And I notice no change in the car speed or performance.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Anyone know how serious this is or if the lights can be ignored (like most warning lights!)?

Thanks!!!

Tom
tomrom101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
AzNguy

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2009
the (!) sign means tire pressure is low...
AzNguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
I had 2001 Prius's side brake light coming on and off when the break fluid was low.
I had 2003 Corolla ABS light constantly on when both of the rear brake lights were out.
But I've never had both of them on at the same time before.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
I only got abs light on not long ago, so i changed abs sensor and then it seems go away.
I don't have " ! " on though.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Please see this very long thread regarding the issue:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ABS

It's a faulty speed sensor/wiring harness. Toyota should REALLY do a recall but they seem to be getting greedy.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
(!) = tire pressure
Old 12-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Most likely wheel sensor. Lot of times there is a bunch of gunk caught on the magnet. If your lucky you can pull the sensors and clean them off. Otherwise you gota take it to a shop to diagnose which one is faulty and replace it.

If you continue to ignore it when you get in panic situation and push hard on the brakes they will lock up and skid since your abs will not work when there is a error code present.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNguy View Post
the (!) sign means tire pressure is low...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDani View Post
(!) = tire pressure

No it dosen't!! TPMS is an entirely different symbol.

In the thread that devinlamothe referred to, I found the latest post to be very interesting. It actually indicates there may be an owner addressable cure.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=154
Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I don't have ABS.
Wonder if the 2010's have this issue fixed?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Toyota's TPMS does indeed set an "idiot light" that looks like an exclamation point in parentheses.

http://a230.g.akamai.net/7/230/2320/...nitorhybrid/s/
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
DandiDani

well my bad then Wee i just know that (!) showed up on mine and it was the tire pressure. it went back off after we put air in the tires.i was just trying to help

Last edited by DandiDani; 12-19-2009 at 11:55 AM.
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
just to clarify for everybody:

THE TPMS light looks like (notice it looks like a flat tire) >>>

and the one in question looks like>>>>
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
DandiDani

thanx hilton. i knew that i was NOT crazy. lol.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
I just had my ABS and Brake lights come on for the first time. It is snowy and brutally cold here.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
It's a faulty speed sensor/wiring harness. Toyota should REALLY do a recall but they seem to be getting greedy.
Ehh, I'm going to go ahead and say since 99% of complaints are from toronto, ontario, or other places in canada, someone already did the math and found its your crappy sand/salt mixture that is destroying vehicles, and not really a design flaw.

Also, If I drive my yaris into a 20 foot snow bank and dent every panel, should toyota cover it?? I'm trying to figure out where the line between normal driving and abuse is. I don't think a single sensor failing after being abused through multiple winters is that bad. ABS speed sensors fail, on all cars, if you don't like it, move out of the frozen hell you live in, but stop trashing toyota.

To me this whole thread, and the one you linked to are analogous to driving through a river and then saying toyotas are junk because you hydrolocked.

on a side note:

Honda is recalling 182,756 MY 2006-2007 Civic sedan and coupe model vehicles. The wheel speed sensor housing uses an O-ring seal to prevent leakage to or from the wheel bearing. If assembled improperly, the O-ring may not seal properly allowing water to enter the wheel bearing and eventually cause damage to the bearing, especially in areas where use of road salt is prevalent. If the driver continues to drive with this condition, it is possible for the wheel bearing to become loose, which could cause the bearing to fail. This could cause a wheel to fall off of the vehicle, possibly resulting in a crash. Dealers will inspect the rear ABS sensors and wheel bearings for damaged parts and replace them. The recall began on September 25, 2007. 07V399
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Ehh, I'm going to go ahead and say since 99% of complaints are from toronto, ontario, or other places in canada, someone already did the math and found its your crappy sand/salt mixture that is destroying vehicles, and not really a design flaw.

Also, If I drive my yaris into a 20 foot snow bank and dent every panel, should toyota cover it?? I'm trying to figure out where the line between normal driving and abuse is. I don't think a single sensor failing after being abused through multiple winters is that bad. ABS speed sensors fail, on all cars, if you don't like it, move out of the frozen hell you live in, but stop trashing toyota.

To me this whole thread, and the one you linked to are analogous to driving through a river and then saying toyotas are junk because you hydrolocked.

on a side note:

Honda is recalling 182,756 MY 2006-2007 Civic sedan and coupe model vehicles. The wheel speed sensor housing uses an O-ring seal to prevent leakage to or from the wheel bearing. If assembled improperly, the O-ring may not seal properly allowing water to enter the wheel bearing and eventually cause damage to the bearing, especially in areas where use of road salt is prevalent. If the driver continues to drive with this condition, it is possible for the wheel bearing to become loose, which could cause the bearing to fail. This could cause a wheel to fall off of the vehicle, possibly resulting in a crash. Dealers will inspect the rear ABS sensors and wheel bearings for damaged parts and replace them. The recall began on September 25, 2007. 07V399
We are not purposely driving cars into sand/snow to break the car. These sensors need to be better sealed for driving in weather conditions that we get up here.

Yes, speed sensors DO fail, but they SHOULD NOT fail prematurely like they are. Fact, I had my rear left sensor replaced last winter. Guess what? The SAME ONE is busted again this winter.

This should NOT be happening and yes, it is Toyota's fault for not designing a better part.

And no, moving is not an option, I happen to like the cold & snow.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
I had these two lights come on last week, and ABS didnt work during that period. Yesterday I jacked the car up, took off the rear wheels and fixed it myself - I have only a basic knowledge of fixing stuff, the most Ive done on the Yaris to date is change front rotors/pads so no expert knowledge required!

Once the wheel is off you will see a plug - the only one you will see - on the rear of the drum near the axle. A small screwdriver is needed to push the plug (gently) off the socket and hey presto....Get cleaning! I used a compressed air cleaner like one would use on a PC keyboard to clean the snow/crap out then WD40 to clean. Cleared any excess off with the air again then put the plug back. Finally a little grease on the small gap between plug and socket and wheel back on.

I got in turned the key and drove off.... NO lights on.... ABS working as it should.

I suggest everyone do this BEFORE going to the dealer as it will save you a fortune. It took 20 mins to do both sides and is as easy as taking off the wheel!

Southern Ontario weather does cause problems to the little car, but this is a free fix... well free if you have cleaning products already in the house!

If anyone wants it, PM me and ill go outside and photograph the plug area for you... But I dont know how to post it on here so ill have to email it!!! Proof its easy to do eh?
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^

Tags
abs, abs warning light, brake warning light