Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoehrle View Post
Here it goes.. I already know I did something extremely dumb however I know being completly honest may help diagnose this easier. I was installing new aftermarket tailight assemblies on my 2007 yaris liftback.. stupid me was in a hurry and I wasn't paying attention..did it while the engine was running.. now heres the problem. blower does not work at any fan speed. also the light that indicates rear defroster is on, is constantly lit now. if i put the blower in any speed other than off, or OR push the button to power on the rear defroster, then my signals wont work
It sounds like you crossed a wire for the tail light with something else. The tail light circuit feeds many other illumination related items (including the defroster light). Can you snap some pictures of how you wired the aftermarket tails? (I assume they were not plug and play, but rather the type where you had to cut and splice)
Old 01-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
jwoehrle

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
no, they were plug and play. I also had a module spliced in for trailer lights...thought maybe it went bad so i disconnected but the crimp down connectors are still in place. maybe causing issue? also, i reconnected the original factory assemblies and problem still exists
jwoehrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
no, they were plug and play. I also had a module spliced in for trailer lights...thought maybe it went bad so i disconnected but the crimp down connectors are still in place. maybe causing issue? also, i reconnected the original factory assemblies and problem still exists
OK. Check the trailer module crimps. You may have two with an exposed piece of wire touching.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #22
jwoehrle

...just checked...doesnt seem to be..is there a possibility this is a relay/fuse issue? also...i've never been a fan of those crimp connectors..do u know what color the ground wire would be on the harness that plugs into tghe rear tailights? i may remove connector and try to splice it back with a tube type connector
Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
...just checked...doesnt seem to be..is there a possibility this is a relay/fuse issue? also...i've never been a fan of those crimp connectors..do u know what color the ground wire would be on the harness that plugs into tghe rear tailights? i may remove connector and try to splice it back with a tube type connector
With the behavior that you described above, it sounds more like two circuits are bridged than like a relay or fuse issue. Ground wires are white wires with a black stripe.

For fuses that could potentially be involved, the 10A GAUGE fuse feeds the coil side of the blower and the coil side of the rear defogger. The 10A Tail fuse feeds the tail light bubs and all of the illumination circuits.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #24
jwoehrle

the module for trailer lights had its own ground wire that attatched directly to the car. in other words it didnt tie into the tailight wiring harness like the others so i'm guessing the white/black ground is undisturbed. im thinking of removing all the crimp down connectors, cutting the wires, and then splicing them back together. if that doesnt work i'll start checking fuses and/or relays i guess...not sure what else....
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #25
jwoehrle

TO: CTScott

Thanks again for all the help..just wanted to let you know i've fixed the problem and it WAS the 10amp Gauge fuse...here's the thing though. that was the FIRST thing i checked before i even sought out this message board for help. when i examined it, the filament wasn't broken, fuse looked good. however when i tested it with a multi tester while it was still in place, it read full voltage on one side, only half on the other. replacing the fuse fixed everything. it was bad, but not "blown" to the naked eye
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
TO: CTScott

Thanks again for all the help..just wanted to let you know i've fixed the problem and it WAS the 10amp Gauge fuse...here's the thing though. that was the FIRST thing i checked before i even sought out this message board for help. when i examined it, the filament wasn't broken, fuse looked good. however when i tested it with a multi tester while it was still in place, it read full voltage on one side, only half on the other. replacing the fuse fixed everything. it was bad, but not "blown" to the naked eye
That is wild. It cooked enough to thin it out, but not enough to fully blow it. I can't say that I have seen one do that before.