Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
stran

Drives: '07 Yaris 3D HB Auto
WARNING: Shoddy repair work on Spiral Cable Recall

A word of warning.

Had my 2007 Yaris brought in dealership for Spiral Cable Recall and for Driver/Passenger Seat Track Assembly Recall. Had the repair work done on Feb 23rd, didn't drive the car until yesterday, and while making a turn the airbag and horn assembly fell out and jammed itself against the windshield wiper stalk locking the steering wheel. I had to jam on the brakes to narrowly avoid an accident. Dangerous situation to say the least.

Attached are some pics.

My horn doesn't work now, and I assume that's the loose black cable shown in the picture.

What do you think happened here? I've never removed the airbag module before so I don't know what it is supposed to look like, but I assume the dealership forgot to install the screws holding it place? I see lots of empty screw holes but no screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0996.JPG (467.4 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0993.JPG (382.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0990.JPG (359.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0991.JPG (425.3 KB, 192 views)
stran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The service dude at the dealership that performed that warranty work should be put in jail. That is negligence at a level beyond belief. He/she forgot to tighten the airbag mounting bolts. The horn isn't working due to that little wire with the female spade needing to be plugged into the male side that is a tab on the airbag frame.

You could tighten it yourself (T27 torx), but I would recommend making the dealership send a tow-truck to insure that this mess is properly documented.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
This is why I haven't gone to the dealership to have these two jobs done.. The bad workmanship that I have found over the years at the dealerships is just bad!...
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
stran

Thanks CTScott. I appreciate the information. I will talk to the dealership tomorrow and demand an explanation for how this happened.

On a related note, I wonder how often dealerships forget to actually do the repairs that they charged for. Like if the service people forgot to change the oil filter with the oil change, no one would know.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stran View Post
Thanks CTScott. I appreciate the information. I will talk to the dealership tomorrow and demand an explanation for how this happened.

On a related note, I wonder how often dealerships forget to actually do the repairs that they charged for. Like if the service people forgot to change the oil filter with the oil change, no one would know.
That is a scary thought. 99% of people would never know.

My daughter and I were doing oil changes today on my Yaris and Subaru Crosstrek and with it being the first time I changed oil on the crosstrek, I misjudged the exit angle of the oil and made a big ol' mess of the garage floor. Once we finished cleaning the mess, I mentioned to my daughter that getting distracted that way, we could so easily have forgotten to refill the oil.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:

Wow ....someone really made a huge mistake and forgot to tighten the bolts... Yes its unfortunate that this has happen glad no one got hurt but honestly we are only human mistakes happen all the time .
I work for Toyota have done many spiral cables and other warranty work and getting tired of hearing from ppl that only dealerships make mistakes or don't do there job. . .it's funny how everyone is a mechanic when it comes to pushing blame but can never take responsibility.
I do what is on my work order period nothing more nothing less , have a routine that I stick to just like with any other job and yes I do make mistakes at times cos last time I looked I was human ...so yes this happen no its not accepted but to make crazy stink over it is just ridiculous .
Just my 2 Canadian cents on this lol
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Wow ....someone really made a huge mistake and forgot to tighten the bolts... Yes its unfortunate that this has happen glad no one got hurt but honestly we are only human mistakes happen all the time .
I work for Toyota have done many spiral cables and other warranty work and getting tired of hearing from ppl that only dealerships make mistakes or don't do there job. . .it's funny how everyone is a mechanic when it comes to pushing blame but can never take responsibility.
I do what is on my work order period nothing more nothing less , have a routine that I stick to just like with any other job and yes I do make mistakes at times cos last time I looked I was human ...so yes this happen no its not accepted but to make crazy stink over it is just ridiculous .
Just my 2 Canadian cents on this lol
If the correct combination of damaged wires occurred when the airbag fell off while the car was in motion, the airbag could have easily deployed (damaged +12V on the horn wire connects to the positive wire for the airbag squib) and would likely have killed the O.P.

I agree that people make mistakes, but when dealing with a part of the car that can easily kill the owner, a mistake of this nature is completely unacceptable.

Having directed the service organization in the past for a company that produced a piece of equipment that could be quite dangerous to the general public if not serviced properly, proper procedures, documentation and check lists were key. And, service personnel were held accountable for failing to follow said procedures.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If the correct combination of damaged wires occurred when the airbag fell off while the car was in motion, the airbag could have easily deployed (damaged +12V on the horn wire connects to the positive wire for the airbag squib) and would likely have killed the O.P.

I agree that people make mistakes, but when dealing with a part of the car that can easily kill the owner, a mistake of this nature is completely unacceptable.

Having directed the service organization in the past for a company that produced a piece of equipment that could be quite dangerous to the general public if not serviced properly, proper procedures, documentation and check lists were key. And, service personnel were held accountable for failing to follow said procedures.
I totally agree with you not acceptable and yes air bag could have gone off...just tired of seeing ppl blame the dealerships for everything also warranty work done by ppl that are not qualified for the job and yes extra care has to be taken when working on specific areas of the vehicle.
Glad no one got hurt have it documented and fixed ask questions and have someone take responsibility for there actions ...best is to involve Toyota and have them do an investigation cos if not the blame will be pushed down with out knowing the right reason.... I find the big problem is with service reps by over booking and having wrong ppl do the job or working on more than one car at a time.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That is a scary thought. 99% of people would never know.

My daughter and I were doing oil changes today on my Yaris and Subaru Crosstrek and with it being the first time I changed oil on the crosstrek, I misjudged the exit angle of the oil and made a big ol' mess of the garage floor. Once we finished cleaning the mess, I mentioned to my daughter that getting distracted that way, we could so easily have forgotten to refill the oil.
Years aago my brother changed the oil on his 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix and forgot to put the drain plug back in so all six quarts of oil drained right back on the ground. Boy was his face red. lol
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #10
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
On a related note, I wonder how often dealerships forget to actually do the repairs that they charged for.
Right, "forgot".
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
cos last time I looked I was human ...
Oh God how I want to say something...
Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Oh God how I want to say something...
Lol ...I bet haha
Old 03-10-2015, 04:21 AM   #13
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Holy s**t!! That is stuff of nightmares. Good thing the airbag didn't go off and that no one was injured.
If an incident would have occurred, I would easily classify it as criminal negligence!
What kind of quality control standards does that dealership have? Does the supervisor not check to make sure the jobs in the work order are complete before releasing the car back to the owner?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #14
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Holy s**t!! That is stuff of nightmares. Good thing the airbag didn't go off and that no one was injured.
If an incident would have occurred, I would easily classify it as criminal negligence!
What kind of quality control standards does that dealership have? Does the supervisor not check to make sure the jobs in the work order are complete before releasing the car back to the owner?
Some dealership service departments are great while others are terrible. I used to own a Saturn and the service dept at the dealership was great. They would even do warranty work if they saw something needed repaired without me even having to ask. At our local Ford dealership it's like pulling eye teeth to get them to do any kind of warranty work. Last time I had my Mustang in for an oil change they scratched my car and gave it back to me without a word about it.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #15
stran

UPDATE:
I brought it back to dealership, waited over 1 hour before service rep looked at my car. After one look, he offered a rental Camry free of charge for the day and offered me a free 5K service to be redeemed at my choosing. 5K service is just really only an oil change + tire rotation. Took about 2 hours total for the visit to fill out paperwork and pull up the rental car.

After the service tech looked it, the dealership claim that only 1 screw was loose, but since the two screws opposed each other, one loose screw was enough for the whole assembly to work loose. Don't know if I believe that.

In conclusion, a free oil change isn't worth almost getting into an accident, the 2 hour wait, plus driving back to dealership to pick up the car. But it's enough that I won't press the dealership for any concessions.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
hate when

Hate it when that happens, somebody could have gotten killed man. my
Dealer in south Houston claims they don't have the parts available to do these two recalls and the service manager hasn't even responded back to my personal email I send two weeks ago. wth,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us stran so we can be more
cautious when we have ours done next time.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
yarisbird

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB Bayou Blue
In conclusion, a free oil change isn't worth almost getting into an accident, the 2 hour wait, plus driving back to dealership to pick up the car. But it's enough that I won't press the dealership for any concessions.[/QUOTE]

I see your location is California. What dealership did you go to? I need to have this work done on my car too. I want to make sure I avoid this particular dealership.
yarisbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #18
stran

I see your location is California. What dealership did you go to? I need to have this work done on my car too. I want to make sure I avoid this particular dealership.[/QUOTE]

I went to Steven's Creek Toyota in San Jose. The original repair order stated: "PERFORM EOM SPIRAL CABLE REPLACEMENT TO BE PERFORMED BY CERTIFIED ELEC. TECH. OR ABOVE ONLY!!!!"

I don't know what EOM stands for. But the all caps and four exclamation point implies that it's important the person fixing it is qualified. Based on my experience, I'd say so. If you take it in, I suggest verifying that the repair will be performed by a certified electrical technician.

On a related note, the Track Assembly work order states:
"3-Door Yaris Only TO BE PERFORMED BY MST. TECH. MDT,CERT. OR EXPERT TECH"

No exclamation points here.

For what it's worth, the original service advisor on the flawed repair was listed as "Nathan Burstein". The second service advisor who offered me the oil change was "John Zrimc". John was fine - I thought everything was handled professionally and he offered me the rental car and 5K service without my asking. Service advisor probably isn't important though because they don't perform or check the work order, just a liaison to the customer.

My airbag assembly worked itself loose after driving over a series of speed bumps. I think it'd be a good idea to check a few times after rough driving. Good luck and hope things turned out better than it did for me.