Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Mickman

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
New Owner - 2006 Yaris RS

Good morning everyone,

I have just purchased a 2006 Yaris RS for my girlfriend. The car has 160,000km on it. Drives great, only issue I notice is the battery light flickering (I have read up on this already, will fix shortly)

Only plans are to install a double-din receiver in the car and give it a thorough cleaning.

Just wanted to see if you guys had any tips or things to check into other than beginning with the basic maintenance and a good once-over on the car. I will do a tune up and change the oil, anything other than that? Is there any other common things to look out for with this car? My girlfriend's previous car was a 2000 Echo she has had since 2002 with now almost 400,000km on it, so I have a lot of confidence in this Yaris if it will be anything like the Echo was.

Any input would be much appreciated.

I look forward to any replies!

Thanks
Mickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Change the exhaust gasket (one in the front that connect the manifold to the pipe) every 100,000km to avoid having it seize on you

Check and replace if needed the control arm bolts and regrease every year since you live in the salt belt. Do a thread search about this and a lot will come up

Get it Krown'd every year and any bolts you remove put grease or anti seize on them when re installing them

Spray anti rust on the exhaust manifold heat shield and exhaust bolts

Install a diy oil catch can (also a thread on this)

Run the car on the highway at least once a week if it only gets city driving

That's all I can think of for now, take care of it and it will last just as long as the Echo.

O and one more thing. The water pumps sometimes go early on these. Do yourself a favor and buy a lifetime warranty one from Parts Source ($75) that way you have one on hand in case it goes. It will give you a warning with a pink/redish white streak inside your hood on the passenger side.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Welcome. My '06 saw 160,000kms way back in Aug 2012. You've got gobs of life left in that puppy.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
just keep oil in it and changed regularly and it'll run for a long time.
oh, and check the connector and pins for the rear ABS sensors. alot of them leak and esppecially in ontario/quebec/maritimes the connector pins will corrode away.
you can get a new length or harness from Toyota for $50 that is made better, or fill the connector with dielectric grease.
my 07 has 230k on it, I've only had to do front brakes, spark plugs, air filters, oil changes and tires.
I'm looking at replacing my shocks and struts, 230k on original stuff is pushing it.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
For the rear ABS sensors, I smushed a bunch of grease over the connectors about 5 years ago and haven't had a single problem.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
tmontague

I did the same, I just covered the rear connectors in dielectric grease to keep out the moisture. I do that w/ any electrical connector that I have to diconnect for anything.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I was trying to remove the connector while i had the wheel off to change my muffler. I wasn't able to disconnect the damn thing?!
Old 05-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
tmontague

It took me about 15mins to figure it out as well. I can't remember the exact configuration of it but I used a small flat head screw driver and popper it off. The plastic lock was a different configuration than I thought but I don't remember exactly how I got it off unfortunately
Old 05-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
Mickman

Hi guys! Update, I picked the car up this morning. All is good, car drives great, A/C blowing really cold (a huge upgrade in itself, the Echo had no A/C!!) Except as I was about to get home after a day of driving... the exhaust seemed to have a leak (was not there when I test drove it or during the day)

It is only when the car is under load, and the noise is coming from the front. I looked up on the forum I am assuming it is the exhaust gasket where the manifold meets the downpipe. Any advice? Spray PB Blaster on the bolts every day a couple days before I actually try to get the bolts out (they look REALLY rusted), am I better to get it from the bottom or the top?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this forum has been a great resource so far. Thank you to everyone who contributes to all of this great knowledge!!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 AM   #10
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
GTA member, too. Welcome to World of Yaris.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:33 AM   #11
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
As for exhaust bolts. Yes, lots of penitration. Yes, peni'tration.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #12
Mickman

Great, thanks guys!

Can someone confirm for me? On Rockauto the part numbers I need are:

WALKER Part # 36454
WALKER Part # 31619

Thanks!!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickman View Post
am I better to get it from the bottom or the top?
Bottom
Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
WeeYari

I don't know how into penny pinching you are, but you might want to check with a dealer for bolts. I got these for $8.28 a piece in 2011. I personally don't care for the Walker bolt+washer+sleeve setup. Chances are there is nothing wrong with your springs, but since you have no picture, it's just a guess. My springs at replacement time were fine, but they also would have been 4 years newer than yours.

Also, who performed the safety inspection? It should not have passed with an exhaust leak.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
Mickman

Thanks for the reply, WeeYari. I called the local Toyota dealer and they wanted $12/bolt, $9/spring, and $45 for the gasket. As for penny pinching, my girlfriend and I just bought our first home that closes in May of next year.. so we are pinching every penny we can before that time comes lol! I think I will have to try out the Walker setup and hope for the best.

Thank you for all of your help!
Old 05-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
You can get the rockauto bolts no problem, but I highly suggest using the OEM gasket.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #17
tmontague

The walker bolts work fine, however you may need to drill the hole bigger in the washers. The washers mine came with did not have a larger. Enough diameter to fit over the threads on the bolts so I just grabbed two from crappy tire that fit for about $0.20 each. I put anti seize on the threads and once installed covered them with anti rust spray.

Make sure the washer goes onto the bolt first then the sleeve and then the spring over the sleeve. I have used afe ter market cheaper gaskets since the dealer price in insane for what you get. Although they do not sit as tight onto the manifold, once the bolts are on it sits fine and has had no leak or problems.

If the aftermarket one's don't last as long it doesn't matter since i'll be replacing and inspecting the bolts for rust every 4 years/80,000km anyways.

BTW welcome to the forums fellow GTA'er
Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #18
Mickman

Awesome! Thanks tmontague... I feel better now about going with the walker setup. Now that I know about this issue I will definitely be checking and replacing about the same interval as you anyways. Dealer prices are crazy!

I hope the bolts don't fight me too much. Thanks for all the GTA welcomes as well. So far my girlfriend is loving the car. I must say I don't mind it myself.. it's a nice little car! I believe it will serve us very well in the upcoming years.