Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #19
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Definitely do what Bluevitz said, a torn harmonic balancer/crank pulley is an easy fix and could easily cause those symptoms.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
pb2k

Drives: 07 Yaris HB
From the top it looks fine, but I don't have the tools to pull the tire off and get a good look at it, let alone a puller tool if it was bad. I'll just wait and see what the dealership mechanic says tomorrow.
pb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
You'd see it while the engine was running if it was bad. The belts would be shaking
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #22
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2k View Post
...let alone a puller tool if it was bad
fyi, I was able to get the crank pulley off on 2 different 1nz's and one 2zr when I worked on them just by putting an air hammer to it to vibrate it loose and then just using my hand to remove it. That said I needed an impact wrench ot get the bolt on and off without a tool to lock the pulley from turning.

Just a heads up in case you ever decide to pull it yourself down the road without a puller but with air tools

keep us updated on what the mechanic says
Old 01-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #23
pb2k

The saga continues. The dealer mechanic says the new upper mount is an aftermarket solid rubber instead of a Hydraulic(?) like the OEM part. The service adviser says he's 99% sure that's the issue, so I agreed to have the part ordered and it should be in tomorrow.

It still doesn't make any sense for everything to be smooth as silk one second and vibrating all over the fu*&ing place the next. I would love nothing more in the world to be proven wrong, but I'd bet on there still being an underlying problem that hasn't been diagnosed.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

A solid mount will 100% make the engine vibrate at lower RPMs. If your stock one failed and originally caused the issue then the aftermarket one that's solid would simply cause the same issue.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #25
pb2k

I hope that's the case, but it just seems like too much vibration.

Here's a short clip of the sick patient (12.3MB)

With any luck, tomorrow will bring good news.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #26
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

It honestly sounds like every race car I've ever heard with solid mounts. Put your hand on the mount on the passenger side. I'm pretty sure on the Yaris it's the only fluid filled mount. The earlier Echos like mine never had fluid mounts, just regular.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #27
pb2k

Problem solved - completely sh|t motor mount.

I took the mount back to the local place, and they are working on a refund for that part ($200, only $15 less than the OEM ).

The funny bit is, the mechanic said there were rocks caught in, the driver side mount, which was probably the original source of the problem. He intended to change both mounts, and the torque strut, because they had excessive play but ended up not doing the driver side mount (I forget if he decided it was OK, or the part was back-ordered). So the question is, was the whole thing down to a couple of rocks requiring removal, and the rest was just performing un-necessary work, which happened to include a sh|tty replacement part?

I'm not sure if I'll ever get the full answer to this fiasco, but I'll be happy just to see the back end of it.

On the bright side, the weather has improved considerably here (17C or better all this week), and it's complete shit in Calgary, so I think I'm just going to take this a blessing in disguise and park myself here for another 10 days and enjoy the weather.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #28
tmontague

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, do you happen to known the manufacturer of the aftermarket engine mount?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #29
pb2k

Nope, didn't seem to have any manufactures mark, although I think it had a made in Thailand sticker. The local place is a NAPA branded place, so it was probably at least sourced through them.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #30
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Glad you got it sorted. Very hard to help without being able to see the car. 1nzfe are pretty rough running engines; they need squishy mounts to be quiet.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote