Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Yaris79

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Mystery Suspension issue Please help!

I have taken my car to be aligned twice within a month. According to the shope everything is within regulation when they put it up on the "rack." But something isnt right. I know I don't know the right terms but I know for sure that something is off. I am very sensative to change and I am very perceptive even if I am not mechanical. Here is what I knows. The care FEELS lower on one side than the other. When I turn corners the car is not as crisp as before. Especailly when I make a right turn, it is so akward. Because I was used to driving the car for a year my perception is now off so while the mechanic cant feel anything strange I can. When I make a turn at a light my car doesnt even go in to the lane crisply. I feel like I have to over compensate. And turning in tight spaces like around curbs in a parking lot is super akward. I cannot judge my space as well. Like I said some of it is any change I can be hyper sensative too so even if it is a minor issue if feel big. No one can figure out what it is. I did run over a curb and it may have been around that time, not that exact night but a couple of days later that I noticed the change. It bothers me so much but no one can figure out what it is. Also notice the "off" feeling when I am backing up it feels uneven. ANd when I park my front tires do not align as naturally as before I have to work at it to get it staright. Everyone thinks I am crazy but I know what I am talking about something is not right. THis is the first newer car I have ever bought and it is very distressful that it is no longer a pleasure to drive. I don't want to keep pouring money into getting alignments when that doesnt help. ANy ideas? Help me to think outside the box. I would be most grateful.
Thanks
Yaris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Honestly, I know this might be crazy but I've spent ALOT of time tinkering around with oddball stuff on my car. Take out the power steering fuse. Drive around for a day or so without it, making sure you turn your steering wheel all the way to the left and to the right during the day. Park the car with your steering wheel centered and wheels straight. Put the power steering fuse back in. Start the car up the and let it just idle for a good 10 minutes or so. Then shut it off, and turn it back on. Then take it for a drive.

Honestly, try it because I know what your going through with the steering feeling "off" but nothing is supposebly wrong. It's the electric power steering which causes all of this if you ask me.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
weedtank
I need more stars

Drives: Liftback
Try going to a different mechanic
Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
SailDesign

Drives: .
My guess would be tire pressures. Check em twice!
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
markitect

Drives: Yaris
And post the alignment specs, if they are checking your alignment they should be giving you a printout of the current values. You may just barely be in spec.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
we have an issue with the new EPS units at bmw. it's a programming issue with the electric power steering. the cars pull to the right but the alignment is straight, with absolutely nothing out of spec. tires are good, but the electronics in the unit want to go right for some reason. let go of the steering wheel and you're gonna be changing lanes. it's not really noticeable when you have your hands on the wheel...it's not trying to take the wheel away from you, but if you let go it'll turn.

maybe with yours sitting so long it's 'center' or 0* is no longer center.

or you could have a weak/blown shock. if the car is still under warranty take it in. talk to the shop foreman or lead mechanic. i'm sure if he's seen or heard anything he'll know what to do. cuz when those problem cars come into bmw shop here and we talk to the customers wanting alignments, they usually understand programming issues and are happy to not have to pay for an alignment.

you may not have codes because the unit is responding how it should. say you have a sensor that detects torque ont he steering shaft from the wheel...the eps unit responds by applying power the direction its sensing torque. if the sensor is malfunctioning and detecting torque when its not supposed to, the unit is gonna react by applying power, even though you dont want it, and ther'es not going to be a fault because the system is reacting how it should. there is a way for the toyota techs to check the sensor. ask them if they can check it. if it's reading a level of torque and you're not turning the wheel, i'd say it's the sensor.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Klumzyee
(^)-_-')

Drives: Amber Teradactyl on 20s
Send a message via AIM to Klumzyee
^ no ._.

You dont have electronic steering.. it's just powersteering (hydraulic)..

Torque thing is called torque steer because you're front wheel drive and engines spin clock wise (or counter if ur a honda) one wheel is going to have more torque then the other causing torque steer.. LSDs and stiff engine mounts solve some of the pull.. but on a low power car like a yaris it really doesnt matter.. I doubt a sub 20k car will come with a LSD so rule that out..

OP.. go to a toyota dealer.. test drive a new yaris. see how it feels compare to yours...

questions to ask yourself:
have i gotten new crappier tires?
do i have proper tire pressure?
am i tripping out?
Klumzyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
First of all, what were you driving previously? How accustomed to it were you? In a Yaris, your butt is pretty high off the ground, say, compared to a Corvette. And, it is a narrow, tall, high CG car. My guess is that there is nothing wrong with your car; it is your perception playing tricks on you. The only physical thing you might have a point on is that the car is probably leaning a bit only because it is a very light car with light springs and small changes in weight distribution will cause the car to lean...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
no ._.

Yes, the yaris has electronically assisted power steering. The servo motor is on the steering column, and there is a separate ECU to control it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klumzyee View Post
Torque thing is called torque steer because you're front wheel drive and engines spin clock wise (or counter if ur a honda) one wheel is going to have more torque then the other causing torque steer.. LSDs and stiff engine mounts solve some of the pull.. but on a low power car like a yaris it really doesnt matter.. I doubt a sub 20k car will come with a LSD so rule that out..
Just for correctness, torque steer is caused by one axle transferring more torque to a wheel than the other due to them being different lengths, or by soft bushings through toe and camber change as the suspension rebounds during acceleration.

Caddy's and some Dodge's/Chrysler's get around torque steer by putting the tranny under the motor so they can keep the axle's the same length.

As for the strange feeling, it could be the tires too, worn bushings, tough to tell.
I like the tips to try removing the PS fuse.

How many miles on the car?
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Could it be that your shocks are out but the mechanics didn't detect it because it was on a lift?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klumzyee View Post
^ no ._.

OP.. go to a toyota dealer.. test drive a new yaris. see how it feels compare to yours...

questions to ask yourself:
have i gotten new crappier tires?
do i have proper tire pressure?
am i tripping out?
lmfao rookie here with all the wrong answers.....

id get the sensor checked. after hitting a curb anything could happen. i know how it feels to have the car just not feel right. basically though sound like u will never get the car feeing 100% how it was.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
detroiter

any pictures of the power steering sensor? Can it just be unplugged and then plugged back in, that way it can "clear" anything in it's memory?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
any pictures of the power steering sensor? Can it just be unplugged and then plugged back in, that way it can "clear" anything in it's memory?
lmfao, i thought your post was instructions on how to do just that, lol
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
detroiter

lol no no, it was how to pull the power steering fuse under the hood.
I'm talking about if anyone has pictures of the actual power steering sensor that's on the steering column.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
OP = MIA = interesting
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
OP = MIA = interesting
He fixed his tire pressures and is out driving again.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" You dont have electronic steering.. it's just powersteering (hydraulic).. "

This is part of the window sticker from our '08 sedan . States , Electronic Power Steering ( E.P.S. ) which is circled in RED , located under MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE . Doubt it's any different for the '07 .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (106.8 KB, 75 views)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote